Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Stripping
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 am 
I took my first stab at stripping a fish today. I had a hard time getting all the fry out of her mouth. I held the fish in the (gentle) flow of a power filter output, but the fry were swimming against the current back into her mouth. I got several out, but decided not to harass her any further.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 am

Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Stripping
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 am 
Veteran Member

The way I do it is get a good sized deep backing bowl. I actually have one with a spout so it's perfect. Then fill it with a mix of tank water a slightly warmer water (helps relax her and a nice way for the babies to enter the outside), then after netting her, cup her in your fingers with your thumb on the back of her head and with your fingers just behind the gills. Submerse here as much as possible, and open her mouth with your index finger (I think Allen uses a dull toothpick). Usually most will swim out one or two at t time, or fall out depending on how far they are developed, but then I do a gentle dunking up and down, this forces water in reverse over her gills, and after half a dozen to a dozen dunks usually releases any remaining fry. The whole process tanks about 60 seconds, sometimes 30, and is relatively easy on the mother. Then since I have that lovely spout, I simply pour the fish into their new tank, or into their strainer for tumbling if they are not ready to be free swimming.

An important note is to do your best to keep her mouth open during the entire process. I did have a mbuna fry lose it's tail once when the mothers mouth closes on it. But even though that one fry didn't make it the success rate vs the mother holding full term is much higher.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:36 pm 

I use a long wood skewer that i break the end a little bit so its not to sharp. I hold the fish between my index and thumb. As i open her mouth with the stick i use my thumb to rub on the gill plate. there are always a few stuck in there so i squeeze a little more, like a little pop with my thumb. it helps shoot out the last ones.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:36 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:26 pm 
Administrator

I always use a little plastic zip tie.

www.frontosa.com

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:26 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:14 pm 
Veteran Member

I think one of the best suggestions I heard was on frontosa.com. Someone said they used to make a elongated funnel (I think think plastic sheets from a craft shop would work) and simply place the fish head long in the funnel, an then gently pour water into the funnel so that it runs over the gills and pops open her mouth when it is too full of water. Out come the fry. I have meant to try this, but never really had issues with stripping.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:14 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm 

Thanks for the idea Me, I am going to try it in a few weeks. Hummm, I wonder if my wife will miss the funnel. HAR!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm 
Veteran Member

LOL, maybe she will ask why it smells like fish ;)

Be sure it is a narrow funnel that matches the shape of the fish, or it probably won't work too well. I would think even wax paper could work, but something like a cut down garage sale sign or similar plastic sheeting would be ideal I think.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 am 

I tried a standard kitchen funnel once with a P. demasoni, and wasn't too impressed. Perhaps the conforming shape is the trick there? The majority come out quite readily for me using the methods previously described (I use a plastic tool for opening the mouth), but the last 2 or 3 are often stubborn, even with dunking. Sometimes I find gentle, quick pushes on the bottom of the buccal pouch with the fingertip pushes them out.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 am 
Veteran Member

Yeah, it basically would have to be a homade funnel suited to specific sized and shaped fish. I pretty much have stripping down. I usually push on the cheeks for the stubborn ones, but also under the chin.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply