Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Labrochromis ishmaeli report
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:36 pm 
Associate Admin

Labrochromis ishmaeli

Tank size: 20 gallon grow out as fry, 40 gallon breeder as sub adults, 75 gallon as adults.

Aquascaping: Number 4 crush coral, 1 x small strawberry pot, 1 x 10 clay pot, 3 x med. size river rock, 1 fake tree root, 3 fake plants. I have the strawberry pot on one side if the tank. The 10 inch clay pot is on the other side of the tank. The tree root is in the middle of the tank about 3 inches from the back. The rocks and fake plants are scattered around the tank. The ishmaeli love the open space in the middle of the tank.

Filtration: One Emperor 400, 2x hydro 4 sponge filters.

Food: Kens cichlid flake, Kens tropheous flake, Krill, Myst shrimp.

Water changes: one time a week 30% water change with No Chlorine as the water conditioner. Sometimes I miss a water change because of my kids sports. When this happens I do a 40% water change with Prime as the water conditioner.

History: The Labrochromis ishmaeli came in on the German shipment. They came in as .5 to .75 inch fry. I grew them out in a 20 gallon as fry. Then I moved them to a 40 gallon breeder tank as sub-adults. It was not long before I realized they were going to need a larger tank. I then moved them to a 75 gallon tank. I tried a mixed tank at first. I had them with my f-1 cyrtocara moorii. They got along together very well. The only problem I had was the cyrtocara moorii were breeding but the Labrochromis ishmaeli was not. After this I moved out the cyrtocara moori. Now I have a species only tank.

Breeding: I really wanted to get serious about breeding my Labrochromis ishmael. I did some research and read that Axel and Marcos would prime the females with a high protien diet 3 days before a water change. They would use krill and myst shrimp to do this, so I tried it. Day 1 I fed them krill. Day 2 I fed the myst shrimp. On day 2 I notice a females tube dropping. Day 3 I fed them krill. Day 4 I did a 30% water change. I notice on day 5 a female was holding. Then I did not feed the tank for 3 days.

The holding female would hide behind the fake tree root in the middle of the tank. She would peek out every time I would feed that tank. I then notice a female tube had dropped. The holding female had been holding for 6 days. I did not want to tempt her with krill or myst shrimp. I tried something else I used some 1mm pellets from kens fish. They are growth pellets with 50% protein. The other female spawned 2 days later after a water change. Now I had a problem. I had no maternity tanks. I stripped the first female on day 14. The other female held the whole time and is holding today. I got over 30 fry on the first spawn, and I'm hopping for the same with the second female.

The first spawn of 30 are in a 2 gallon tank, and will be moved to a larger tank as soon as I make room for them. I like using very small tanks at first so it easy for the fry to find it's food.

Here are some pictures of my Labrochromis ishmaeli as sub-adults. I'll get some of them as adults soon. Sorry these picture are really bad. I'll up-date them with better pictures soon.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:36 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Labrochromis ishmaeli report
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 pm 
Associate Admin

I did my water change today. I was going to have my boys help strip the second female. When we went out she had spit the fry out. I think all the other fish ate them. We will clean the tank out tomorrow and see if we find any fry hiding.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 pm 

nice report. one question, when did they spawn, recently?

I got to get some stuff together and get a couple reports of my own going. i do not have as much detail as you but at least it is a start for others.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:33 pm 
Associate Admin

She spawned one week after the first female spawned.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:33 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 pm 

Congratz Jim !!!
I really enjoy the report

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply