Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Paralabidochromis chromogynos????
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 am 

Guys I have a reverse trio of these fish and I cant get them to breed to save my life! I kept them alone in a 92 gallon bowfront corner tank temporarily and I had to add some dither fish because the Dominant male was ruthless and chasing the female all over and wouldnt leave her alone. Now, I have a nice colony of Tropheus Bemba that gets along fine with them and the Dominant male is still the dominant fish in the tank but still no breeding, my temp is 80, ph 7.8, feed a variety of different stuff (obviously not to much protein bc of the tropheus). I have asked around and people have said that you need at least 3F/1M ratio, to get them to spawn, IDK i would hate to have to give these guys up but I think I might have to, any suggestions?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Paralabidochromis chromogynos????
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 am 

They are a tough species for me too. I had a group of 1m/2f and ended up with one spawn of 6 fish. They were a bit older to start though. The fry I grew out and ended up with no spawns and 2 males left.

I now have 8 more growing out from someone I traded with. Hopefully they stay alive.

They condition like other cichlids but being super aggressive with each other makes it difficult to spawn. with the other fish in the tank the second male might sneak a spawn in there. I have seen this before, the dom male is to busy chasing fish and a sub-dom male comes in and spawns with the female. That is why you always have extra males in the tank!

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 am 

Ok thanks Dre., Im gonna keep me in there and just keep doing my water changes and keep my fingers crossed! Thanks again!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm 

this is one if the top 5 fish that is hard to spawn that i have had good luck.it took me 3 times having then to get a spawn and they were going crazy till last nov then shut off i had nothing from them for 8 months

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

I thought they never spawned for me and then one day found a little juvie hiding in the rocks. So...I've spawned one chromogynos years ago.

But (thanks to Alphawild) I have eight 1.5" chromogynos growing out. Hopefully, the second time is the charm.

Kevin

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

For me, the hard part wasn't so much getting them to spawn, but getting viable eggs from the spawn. It took several holds from each female before I got my first wigglers. Now, I'm having an issue with females dying a couple weeks after stripping. Not sure if they were in a weakened state, or if the males are simply too aggressive. My ratio is starting to get a little out of whack, and my last holding female spit or swallowed her eggs after a week. I'll definitely be pampering the next one.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:14 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm 

Hello I'm sure this is a dead thread now. But I have 2 of these guys indexed and M getting 3 more soon. I keep them with my mbuna til I get another tank. But my PH is 8.2 and KH of 14. And temp of 78 I need to get the ratio right and hope and pray but do my parameters seem right for breeding? Mine are piebald idk if that makes Any difference or not. Right now I think I have 2 females. And I think I HAD a male but he died. My socolofi killed him. They've been traded for a milder species since then)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 am 

I have some of these and after all these posts, I'm starting to worry. Mine haven't spawned yet, not sure they are quite old enough, but I will keep watching. I have a lot of them... I think 3 males and maybe 9 or 10 females. They don't seem to chase each other that much, but maybe it is cuz I have so many. Cross your fingers for me. I know I have mine crossed!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 pm 

Fingers are crossed! Like I said I only have 2 but they don't chase eachother or anyone else. Loudest species in my tank. They will fight my BN pleco for an algae wafer tho lol

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm 

Colorblizzle wrote:
Fingers are crossed! Like I said I only have 2 but they don't chase eachother or anyone else. Loudest species in my tank. They will fight my BN pleco for an algae wafer tho lol

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Color, you will have issues getting any them to spawn assuming you have a m/f left and actually be able to get her out in your 45 gallon tank with all the slate you have in there with out her spitting. I pray for your success as these are some beautiful, much sought after fish. Keep us posted.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm 

I'm getting 3 more once my breeder has grown them out a bit. But I don't have the slate anymore parrot I haven't in months. I'd upload a pic but I have issues on this forum with that so far. But I did upload rent pics on cichlid forums.com that u can see...u may have commented on it actually not sure. Anyways yes my ultimate goal is to breed them but for right now I just want to keep them nice and healthy until they get a space of there own. None of my mbuna pick on them tho which is good. I will keep you posted

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 am 

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me. Mine are in a species only tank, don't know if that will help or not. I'm planning on putting a couple of convicts in there for encouragement. :) I know that the convicts won't mix with them and that is my biggest concern. ;) Good luck when you get your new ones. I counted and I have a total of 11 fish with 3 males and the rest female. Hope it is enough to get the job done. Some are still juvies, but there are 3 that are adults. Keeping my water changed and fishies happy. :)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am 

Good luck :)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply