Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:48 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Quickest way to get my 2 new fry tanks up and running
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 am 

I just brought in 2 new fry tanks for my P. Chromogynos as I have females holding and ready to go but no where to put them. On the parent tank I have 2 HOB's - one with filter floss and foam, the other with foam and bio. I also have the big FX5 full of bio. I have sand substrate and rocks for cover. Not many other items in the tank.

I bought a couple of sponge filters for the 20G's and also ordered the Hattenburg filters as I wanted to try those. The sponges came in yesterday and Hattenburg will be a bit yet (maybe next week).

So, my question is what would be my best method to get the two 20G's online ASAP? I do have one extra HOB (its a bigger one for a 50G but no others available otherwise I would just move some of the HOB media) Any recommendations?

HELP!!!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Quickest way to get my 2 new fry tanks up and running
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 am 

if you are just using it to hold the females and the fry you dont need to cycle it. You will not be feeding the fish and what little waste she will produce will help cycle the tank slowly.

if you are in a hurry, using tank water from another tank and rinsing out the filter floss in the new tank will help. If you have a cave or rocks from the old tank that have a nice slim on then you can use those as well. tank decor can hold a good amount of bacteria on it, that should help.

Once the mom spits the fry and you start to feed them you can do small daily water changes to keep the ammo down. After 1 month you should be close to cycled, enough for small fry.

A trick i use is to have extra sponges running. if i need to set up another tank i drop in the old sponge and bam, instant cycle. i also have 30 tanks running at all times, 8 10g and 6 3g plastic tanks are always ready for moms or fry.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am 

Great~ as always you come to my rescue Dreday...thanks.

I was sweating how to get things cycled....geez...and I haven't had extra sponges on hand (not little ones anyway) but do plan to add a couple to my supplies so I can do that. And I didn't want to put that bigger Aqueon 50? on the tank but it was the only HOB I had available if I needed to move media. Your approach is much less complicated than having three different filters (sponge, HOB, and then new Hattenburg) running...LOL...thank goodness. And someone on my other forum recommended adding the Hattenburg as a tank divider which would give me a little more room too if I need it once they come in. That's a good idea too.

OK...grabbing fish and setting up tanks this weekend. Wish me luck :)

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

OK...got two tanks setup and running. Hope all goes well. Stole some rockwork from my N. rufocaudalis tank as those rocks seemed to have the most growth on them...nice and heavy. Used some old tank water, squeezed lightly and placed near the sponge for a bit some filter floss...was able to get one P. chromogynos (the most noticable holder had spit...dang) and one of my Polits was holding...

Now, need some growout tanks. Got some extra sponge filters in today. Throwing those in main tanks to get some seeding going.

Thanks again DreDay...you are the BOMB!!!! :lol:

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 am 

no problem. sounds like you got MTS(multiple tank syndrome). that is very hard to cure..... :mrgreen:

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 am 

dre_day wrote:
no problem. sounds like you got MTS(multiple tank syndrome). that is very hard to cure..... :mrgreen:

Truly :lol:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply