Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 16 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Paralabidochromis chromogynos breeding
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:49 pm 

Is anyone breeding Paralabidochromis chromogynos???? 8)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:49 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Paralabidochromis chromogynos breeding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

I'm tryin' but it's not happening. I've had 3 females and one male for 2 years now and they only bred once. So I replaced the male with different male this past fall and still no action.

Kevin

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm 

kinda same with me. have 2 f and 1 m. since oct. have had 7-8 spawns but no fry. was slow at first but last month i had 5 spawns.

i let each female hold first and after 3-4 days no more eggs. then i striped the next 2 batches, which were 2 days apart, and tumbled the eggs. lost them after 5 days. they seemed to break and get tons of fungus.( no methelyne blue)

next spawn i striped again, tumbled again and lost the eggs. and just before i left last week one spawned again. my buddy was checking up and after 2 days no more eggs.

i am thinking the male is not fertile, why i am not sure. i see them dancing right. not sure how old they are but they are full grown.

i am going to get some more to get things going. probably a new group of 5-6. will switch up the new male with older females and vice versa. then will see what happens.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 pm 
Dedicated Member

If after a few days and they fungus up, yes they are likely not fertile. Is it one female or different females breeding?
I have seen a couple times, eggs and wigglers still with yoke sacs fungus up. I never figured out why, although I suspect that the bioload was too low before I put the egg tumblers and fry into the tank. Now that I think of it, the tank had a running sponge filter with no inhabitants for a long time.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm 

2 females spawning. i am assuming the male is not fertilizing the eggs. its a shame too, they are dropping 40-50 at a time. i should be raising 30-35 a batch. oh well, i wont give up.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 am 

Does anyone have these fish with any other fish or strictly a species only tank? This is my second time I'm keeping them with other fish and just last night i noticed a little bit of ich on one of the males,i took all the proper procedures so i got my fingers crossed but Im beginning to think these fish will only do well in a species only tank. I feel like they get to spooked and are to skittish and get bullied with other fish, please leave some feedback if you could, thanks

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 am 
Dedicated Member

Ick is a disease that can be completely eliminated from your tank until a new inhabitant, or used sand, equipment etc. that carries it is put in the tank. The stress of shipping will usually bring out most diseases and you can treat them before adding them to a community tank. I normally quarantine my new fish for a few weeks and clean any used equipment with bleach.
I so far have only been keeping the chromogynos in a species tank. I do hope to have a Zue Island community tank eventually with P. chromogynos, P. chilotes, and P. "Red Head".

What fish are they housed with? How big of a tank? how many of each species?
Allen

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 am 

There in a 80 gallon tank with lots of rock work and hiding places with some Cyp Utinta's and some synodontis catfish and some 1/2 inch neo nigriventris. I am aware that the nigriventris are a very nasty and territorial fish, that's why I made sure the chromo's were much bigger (there about 2-3 inches) then the nigriventris. The only new thing i added was a beautiful Java Fern purchased from the LFS. As of last night I did a 50% water change and added salt and rose the temp to 85 degrees and turned the light off. I feel the small case of ich is due to stress in my opinion, its on a male that is constantly defending his territory and chasing around females. Im gonna go home tonight and do another water change and keep the light off and the temp at 85. The case of ich isn't bad enough to medicate and I'm trying to avoid doing that to be honest, any other suggestions?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 am 
Dedicated Member

If you know what you are doing you don't need advice... good luck....

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:51 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 pm 

was one of the hardest vics that i have spawned i had them 3 times and there going like clock work now.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm 
Dedicated Member

How long did it take for consistent success? I have lots of breeding with multiple males, but high numbers of unfertilized eggs....

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:48 pm 
Veteran Member

A little late response to the Ich question, but I had a little when my original Christmas Fulu male was shipped to me as he nearly didn't make it due to a leaky bag. Anyways, usually I treat with salt for Ich, and in time it goes away, it was very fast with the Fulu simply because they can tolerate or even seem to thrive in 90 degree water. I know not all Vics have the same conditions in the wild, but until recently it seems most were recommending these really high temps for them, and they were doing fine. Recently studies around the lake have suggested this is higher than need be, but the fact that most (not all !!! Check your species info ) can tolerate, and if memory serves me all except the most stubborn Ich dies off in the high 80's, this seems to be the easiest route to go with many Vics when it comes to Ich.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:48 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 am 

ok thanks

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 pm 
Veteran Member

I meant to say I use salt together with heat. Heat will kill it, but salt and heat together are a winning combo. I know allot of others use this method for Ich. Even mid 80's with salt can do the trick most the time.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:25 pm 

teknikAL wrote:
How long did it take for consistent success? I have lots of breeding with multiple males, but high numbers of unfertilized eggs....

After several false starts, I just got my first 2 clutches of 6 fry each. Both females were also holding unfertilized eggs as well. The last couple of attempts were nothing but unfertilized eggs in a mass.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:25 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 16 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply