Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 3      [ 33 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: Re: Attn: KevinB, CFHF08, TheCichlidKid15 (L. xanthopteryx)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:49 pm 

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am 

Hi
This fish seems very far from the fish I know under the name xanthopteryx, 8 years I keep this species and I never saw any red in the snout nor on the flanks as this fish shows on the pics. It seems to be morphogically intermediate between L.xanthopteryx and P.sp"crimson tide" as shows the to much number of bars, the body form(too much elongate)
xris :)

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

I think a bit more explanation is in order. I've never kept L. xanthopteryx before but the juvenile coloration of mine appeared different than I had expected. I wanted to wait to see how they developed before making any type of decision. Mine are now around 2.25" long and I placed the pictures on my web site a few weeks ago:
http://www.african-cichlid.com/Xanthopteryx.htm

I was first contacted by "ME" here at COV quite a few months ago. He received some xanthopteryx from the German shipment and sent me a PM telling me that my strain looked quite a bit different from his.

The orange on the snout had me concerned since it looked very much like what I've seen in Pundamilia sp. "crimson tide". I contacted GAS for an opinion and he confirmed that my xanthopteryx looked close but wrong.

I did a little web search and found out that this same fish is also being sold as Pundamilia sp. "crimson tide" by at least some hobbyists.
http://www.fishaholics.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4036

So I posted an inquiry to the Haplochromis Association in France for their opinion as well and Samaki's answer matched the one I received from Greg.
Here is their picture of the xanthopteryx.
http://www.haplochromis.org/minifiches2/794_FR.html

It is still a great looking fish and I'll let it live out it's life in my catch-all 180 gallon tank, but I won't be breeding this colony. No hard feelings at all ... that's just the way things go for those of us choosing to keep Victorians.

Kevin

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 am 
I've had my doubts about them as well. There's a guy in PA selling these as P. igneopinnis, too. I'll post a link shortly.

Sorry for spreading bum fish, guys. :(

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 am 
Veteran Member

and for comparison here are the pics of my fish which came from the same line as posted on Haplochromis.org.

The sad fact is I am down to 3 of these, it was 2 males and 2 females, but one male jumped ship. The tank is now well covered, and with 2 females and 1 male there is still a faint glimmer of hope. I know Allen has a similar sized group, but I think his is 2 males and 1 female. Too be continued.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am 
This is the same guy from whom I bought the P. sauvagei to test his claim that they were the blue Ugandan variant:

http://www.cichlidsarespecial.com/lake-victoria-cichlids.html

Haplochromis.org P. igneopinnis:
http://www.haplochromis.org/minifiches2/917_FR.html

The fish I've got (and Kevin and others, unfortunately :( ) show mostly orange pelvic fins, with the first ray or two being black.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am 
Administrator

Thanks for the Link Kevin, I just noticed it and realized that I had the Xanthopteryx all along even before the Europe Shipment.

Lithochromis xanthopteryx
Seehausen & Bouton, 1998
Synonymes : Haplochromis sp. "black pseudonigricans", Haplochromis sp. "black and yellow pseudonigricans"

www.frontosa.com

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 am 
Administrator

So Confusing

Lithochromis rubripinnis
Seehausen, Lippitsch & Bouton, 1998
Synonymes : Haplochromis sp. "yellow blue", Haplochromis sp. "blue pseudonigricans", Haplochromis sp. "black and yellow pseudonigricans (Python Island)"

Are these all the same fish? Mine are more Black than Blue.... If So, I have a nice colony of this fish that were imported as WC sometime ago for me. Any Ideas?

below photo is of my lithochromis

Scientific Name: Haplochromis Pseudonigrican Blue aka Lithochromis Rubripinnis
Common Name: Pseudonigrican Blue
Temperament: Mildly Aggressive
Max Size: 4 inches
Lake: Victoria
Region: Shadi Rocks
Habitat: Shallow Rocks
Diet: Carnivore
Spawning: Maternal Mouth brooder
Temperature: 78°-82°f
pH tolerance: 7.2-8.6
Water Hardness: Hard

www.frontosa.com

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm 

Allen wrote:
So Confusing

Lithochromis rubripinnis
Seehausen, Lippitsch & Bouton, 1998
Synonymes : Haplochromis sp. "yellow blue", Haplochromis sp. "blue pseudonigricans", Haplochromis sp. "black and yellow pseudonigricans (Python Island)"

Are these all the same fish? Mine are more Black than Blue.... If So, I have a nice colony of this fish that were imported as WC sometime ago for me. Any Ideas?

Not the same fish:
Lithochromis rubripinnis was previously known as Haplochromis sp. "blue pseudonigricans"
Lithochromis xanthopteryx was previously known as Haplochromis sp. "black pseudonigricans"
Both Lithochromis xanthopteryx and Pundamilia igneopinnis have been called "black and orange nyererei" by US hobbyists.
These three species are mis-identified in the US hobby a whole lot more often than they are correctly identified. If you buy any of these species from anyone (except from some one who got them from the COV German shipment) it is a definite buyer beware purchase.

I believe I've seen some nice full profile shots of the Lithochromis rubripinnis you sold to deadman and they looked like the real deal to me. Who did you get them from, Allen?

Kevin

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:50 pm 

Alowishus wrote:
This is the same guy from whom I bought the P. sauvagei to test his claim that they were the blue Ugandan variant:
http://www.cichlidsarespecial.com/lake-victoria-cichlids.html

I don't see where he is claiming to have the Blue rock krib in the link you supplied.
Some of the other fish in the link look possibly questionable to me, but that's an unfair statement since a picture of a stressed Victorian isn't likely to result in any positive identification.

Did you ever buy them and take a picture of them to share with us?

I have mpeg video of my blue rock kribs breeding years ago.

Kevin

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:50 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:27 pm 
I bought them, yes, but have since sold them. They were definitely not the blue guys.

So we're all agreed that these fish aren't legitimate, whether xanthopteryx or igneopinnis or whatever else, then? If that's the case I'll want to move them out so I can devote the tank space to something worthwhile.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm 
Administrator

I got them from this guy here in Fresno who I do not care to promote due to cross breeding history of other victorians and just plain dislike of this persons business ethics. I have not thought about it in a while but I believe the invoice that came with them was from Old World. Big Jim can confirm where they came from he was at the time very aware of the orders coming in through this person and I believe he may have also been privy to the invoice.

www.frontosa.com

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm 

Oh well, I was hoping that they were xanthopteryx to add to the group I already have. I will keep them seperate. I currently have 5 males and no females. I am pretty sure that these are xanthopteryx, as they look like Me's and also the link that Kevin provided. If Allen or Me ever get fry from their fish, I would be interested in some females.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:36 am 

Hi
All the females from the genus Lithochromis are very hard to distinguish even for trained eyes, only very subtiles details can make them apart. In the link yu shown Alowishus, the ruti nyererei vairants seems not to be good and the local names are fantasy. :) The igneopinis pic is not the species igneopinnis at all. I don't like to see albinos mutation fishes sold as the others wild type fish, those are mutants and this is contradictory with the purpose of conservative efforts to keep wild natural morphotypes. :)
xris :)
Many mislabelled species lead to bring confusion when the trade is using them, obliquidens,xystichromis, and so....

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:36 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 pm 

Xris,
Do the females exhibit the dark coloration. When I had them all together, only two showed the blark coloration. The other 3 looked like sub-dom, showing a very dark gray color. When I seperated all of them to other tanks due to the bullying, they all displayed the black coloration.

I actually contacted that guy selling the igneopinis months ago and he refused to sell them to me as he said that he didn't want to ship to the West Coast.

There is also a guy called Cichlid Station from Illinois selling some on Ebay with the picture that looks l.ike Kevins picture on his site. He is calling them AFRICAN CICHLIDS 2" RED TOP ZEBRA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-AFRICAN-CICHL ... 2397903436

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 3      [ 33 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply