Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:16 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 14 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Gel Diets
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 am 

Has anyone been using the new Repashy Gel diets??

I got a few samples from my job and tried them out, they are pretty nice. Simple to use, quick to make, and the powder lasts for a long time. I think i will use it primarily for fry though. Older fish and breeder fight over the cubes i cut. The best way to feed the breeders is to freeze the gel mix and then shred it into the tank.

for fry it is amazing. with the few samples i have i noticed a huge growth spurt compared to my 2 feedings a day with high protein foods like decap brine, crushed flake, golden pearls, and micro extruded pellets. They get to continuously eat and pick at the gel food in the tank. I usually give a large enough cube to last 12 hours. it can last longer in the water but it starts to get to soft for them. my fry that i tried it on grew much faster with this method of feeding.

i cant wait ti get in my store so i can buy a bunch of it. i will be using the algae mix and maybe the meat pie. if anyone is near or in fl i will be a distributor and can help you out. i would like to see if anyone else has had a try with it yet.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Gel Diets
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

dre_day wrote:
Has anyone been using the new Repashy Gel diets?

I bought some at a club swap meet a couple weeks but I have yet to mix it up. Allen Repashy is the speaker at our club meeting this coming Friday, so I want to try it before I see his talk so I can ask intelligent questions.

Kevin

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am 
Please elaborate - I haven't heard of this.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm 

i have just ordered a 2oz sample of each to test them out with my fish

i am going to separate groups of corys and bristle nose and blue bar fry to test the growth rates and see if there is any coloration difference as well.

I am really looking forward to the soliet green for the Mbuna and their vegan diet

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am 

KevinB wrote:
I bought some at a club swap meet a couple weeks but I have yet to mix it up. Allen Repashy is the speaker at our club meeting this coming Friday, so I want to try it before I see his talk so I can ask intelligent questions.

Kevin

Nice. Wish i could see that one.

www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 am 

What i have noticed is that they like the solient green, meat pie, and the shrimp a little. Most of my fish dont care for the community diet. I like it and am going to get a large container of the solient green. It should be great for my vics and mbuna, not to mention some bushys.

Alowishus you can get more info at repashy super foods, or at Ted Judys site.

www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 am 

I think it is going to be great for bristle nose, corydoras, and other fry.

I do not see my old fish switching over to it as most of these are in excess of 10 years old and don't take to change too well.

But to become a constant food source for fry will be a great thing if it all works like it says it does.

Time(and fish) will tell

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 am 

It took awhile for my adults to warm up to the Soilent Green, but the fry took right to it. I understand that as palatiblility goes, the Green is the least "tasty" and the Shrimp is the most commonly accepted. Those are the only 2 I've tried, though I have a pack of each. I've been using around a month now, but not exclusively as I used up other stuff and have been messing with a disease in my Tang tank.

When mixing the Green with the directed amount of water, I found it too cloudy when left for longer than 15 mins. I mixed the next batch at 2/3 the amount and that makes a nice consistency for me. I'm going to try even drier next time just to see what it's like. While all my Vics and mbuna are doing well with it, my Tangs have been more picky. Particularly the Cyps, who have been picky about other foods too. The calvus pig out on the Shrimp though.

I've been shredding for the Tangs, but I think I'm getting tired of the extra fuss there. I cut into roughly 1/4" cubes for everthing else, and have been experimenting with total amounts to feed. I found larger blocks would get knocked into caves/crevices and the dominant fish would try and guard it from everyone else. Fry growth has been good, but I can't yet say how different?

For a good write-up about the product, check out SwissTropicals.com. For videos and feeding suggestions, check out Ted Judy's website. Both are distributors. See you at the meeting Kevin!

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am 
dre_day wrote:
Alowishus you can get more info at repashy super foods, or at Ted Judys site.

Ah, thanks. I'm running low on food - maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon. :)

I wonder if he's spelling "soylent" that way over copyright issues..

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm 

alpha how are you mixing it?

I boil my water first in the micro then add the powder to it. I find that it mixes nicely then firms up quick. I also found if the water does not reach a high enough temp it does not solidify quite right. i was thinking about using less water but did not have a go at it yet.

i too found that my adults were moving it around, guarding ect. unless you make a large slab or put it on something they can not move it becomes a battle for food. and yea shredding is just one more thing....

www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 pm 

I'm doing it the same way as you (as I saw it in Ted Judy's video). Someone else mentioned to me that she used half the water and ended up crumbling apart on her. I now wonder if it may not have been whisked up well enough, as I can see how pockets of powder might be missed if I wasn't thorough with mixing. But I understand that it is a reversible process, so if I get it too dry I can remelt it and add more water in.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am 

Anyone have any more info on the diets?

I finally got some in and bought a 64oz bag of the green. My fry are tearing it up. i feed a good size cube in the morning and then some starter foods in the afternoon. They are growing fast!! but they sure are making a mess. i would not say it is from the food directly but eating all that food makes the fish dirty the tank. i have been doing water changes more often, mostly siphon then add some back. but with small fry tanks that is no problem.

my bushy nose have been doing really well too. they grew so slow for me before on algae disks. i will get some measurements next month but they seem to be doing pretty good.

I dont feed my adult the food that much, maybe once a week. i stick with pellets for them. it distributes around the tank better. i noticed they guard and fight over cubes, and i am not making a huge slab for each tank. i think i will try the meat pie next time around.

www.ftffacoop.com

Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:17 pm 

I actually see less waste than the crushed flake I was feeding them before. Perhaps the waste is finer/lighter/more soluable and it's getting into my HOB filters easier? I was attributing it to less undigestable filler. Same with the adult tanks, I don't have to break down and vac under the rocks nearly as much now. I've settled into a routine of (4) 1/2" size blocks to feed my 75g mbuna tank (34 fish), and they seem to have enough options for everyone to get a bite. The dominant males that seemed so defensive when I first started feeding blocks seem to have given up on that strategy, realizing the futility. It took alot of trying, but my Cyps have finally adjusted to it if I smush it up into small bits as I feed (gave up on the shredder pretty quick). The Vics were doing fine with it, but I went back to Thera-A for awhile as I noticed something suspicious with a nyererei that previously needed treated. Might get a chance to try putting meds into the gel (hopefully not!). Considering I got a nice spawn of chromogynos after having been on gel for awhile, and the problems I had before that.....might be coincidence, but I can't help but wonder? Oh, and a new generation of Ruby Greens I've been raising on it are now holding (not that they were ever difficult).

Last edited by AlphaWild on Thu May 24, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 23, 2012 3:17 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am 

i made a small batch and added about 3 teaspoons of metronidazole to it. i feed it to my discus tank to see if they would eat it. they did. so i froze it for later use, lasting 2 months should be fine. i dont have a lot of issues but i figured i might as well be ready for the most common problems i have, bloat. but with the stuff i am feeding now i have not seen it in over 3 months. i cut out spirulina flake and so far no issues.

i am feeding a lot of gel to the fry though. enough to last 12 hours. i should start weighing it and keep better records.

www.ftffacoop.com

Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 14 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply