Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 14 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Growth in the mouth
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 am 
Associate Admin

I have had this problem one time and heard a lot of vic owners getting this problem. I have looked on the net but can not find any info on it. What it is is some kind of growth in the mouth of a vic. It almost looks like it is holding but it's not. I have never seen this problem with all the other fish I have, only in Victorian cichlids. People I talked to said there is no cure. I tried myaracyn, tetracycline, and could not cure it. Has anyone else had this problem?

All my fish are healthy now I had this problem over a year ago with some female Pundamillia nyererei "Ruti Island" . I lost 2 females from this growth in the mouth. It looks almost like a white tumor, or a fungus growing in the mouth.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:16 am 

Did it develop after an unsuccessful holding?
If so possibly she was holding fungused eggs and the fungus got her mouth? meth blue is all I use for fungus.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:16 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Associate Admin

It's not a fungus, it looks a little like a fungus but it is a growth. It looks like a tumor in the mouth.

Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:57 pm 

i have seen this as well. metro i hear is effective.
i believe i know where this is comming from. because the fish i see from this place have it.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:57 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:51 pm 
Associate Admin

I have had it only one time and that was almost a year ago. I really want to know how to cure it if I ever get it again. I will get some metro for it next time.

I was puzzled when my females got it. I thought she was holding. Once I notice she wasn't I started to look around on the net for a cure. What I was doing was not helping. This is when I found out about other people that had the same problem. Not many people wanted to talk about it, it was like a big no no.

One thing I know for sure is my water was good. I do weekly water changes 25%, in that fish room and clean the filter pads. I try to keep my nitrates under 20ppm. This just came out of the blue. I did not add any new tank mates, and the group had been together for over a year. One thing I know it is a slow death for the, fish and don't want it to happen again.

Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:51 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Growth in the mouth
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:32 pm 

i believe that it is caused by a parasite that causes a wound or infection in the back of the mouth just before the throat. once the parasite enters the tissue in the back of the mouth it causes a legion, that prohibits the fish from eating. that is my best non scientific non expert opinion. i believe that it is very contagous.
i used metro and foucus, raised temp, salt. formaldahide may also work.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:32 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
Associate Admin

The rest of the pn "Ruti Island" made it OK. I did treat the tank with salt and coppersafe and raised the temp to 82 to 84 degrees for a week. I just lost the 2 females in the hospital tank.

If anyone else had this experience please chime in on this subject. I think it important for everyone to learn from other peoples experiences. This is a horrible way for a fish to die.

Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:03 am 
Dedicated Member

My yellow labs had this. They also started to breath heavily. I lost three, one after the other; the first would die before the next showed symptoms. It wasn't so much of a growth as it was it looked like inside their mouth was very swollen white and constricting. I posted pictures and people called it "bloat", but that is a catch phrase for any African cichlid that dies of a mystery disease, IMO.
I did use metro and it worked.

I did see this in PF a few years ago:
"Stress link to digestive problems in cichlids

A new study has found that Convict cichlids, Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus, who experience social stresses are more likely to suffer from digestive disorders.

The research, which was undertaken by scientists from the Center for Behavioural Neuroscience, looked at gall bladder size and bile retention in dominant and subordinate Convicts which had been fed similar quantities of food.

The subordinates had larger gall bladders which were filled with bad bile. The scientists believe that the gall bladder problem may be responsible for reduced growth rates in subordinate fishes."
~ http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... hp?sid=189

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:03 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:03 am 
Associate Admin

Mine looked nothing like bloat. The growth would stop them from being able to eat. They just shrink up and die. A very slow death of starvation. There was no swelling in the body at all.

It could be the same thing if your had the growth in the mouth. I have never heard of mbuna getting it. We learn every day here on our forum.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:03 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 am 
Dedicated Member

Big Jim";p="6105 wrote:
Mine looked nothing like bloat. The growth would stop them from being able to eat. They just shrink up and die. A very slow death of starvation. There was no swelling in the body at all.
Neither did mine, that was just what people commented... :)
It was the same as what you describe.
Treat the entire tank of cohabitants with metro treated food (if they are eating). If not eating, isolate them to a hospital tank. Metro bath worked for those that could not eat and were not to skinny. It will keep being transmitted and kill most all your fish in that tank.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:22 am 
Associate Admin

You guy's are awesome. Now we know how to treat this. I think I know how this got in my tank now. Like I said you guy's are awesome and thanks for the pm's that were sent it help solved where this came from.

If you guy ever get this make sure you clean your clean equipment and nets before using them in another tank. This stuff is wicked mean, and can be transferred to another tank easily. I'm glad I caught it when I did or it could have spread through out my fish room.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:22 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 pm 

very informative.... but I'm curious did any of you do an autopsy on the ones that died from it? I would be curious if it was a cyst type formation or a parasite like deaman thought... That's my line of thinking though, finding the cause makes finding the cure much easier..... a tip on the origin would be nice too please.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Growth in the mouth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:38 pm 
Veteran Member

You guys have got me curious about the origin now too. I've seen this but not for years.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:38 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 pm 
Dedicated Member

If the metro was the cure, then protozoa (a parasite) is the cause.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 14 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply