Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: what do you feed?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:06 pm 

I have Platytaeniodus sp. 'red tail sheller. and Astatotilapia latifasciata that I feed a quality flake (HBH) and pellets to (NLS) what other things should I be feeding? Bloodworms? Frozen Brine Shrimp?

John

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:06 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: what do you feed?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm 
Veteran Member

I am not sure about the diet of these two, but I would go with glassworms before choosing bloodworms. Bloodworms tend to be dirty. Glassworms aka white mosquito larva are a favorite of all of my fish. Petsmart carry's them.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm 
Associate Admin

All I feed mine are Kens cichlid flake, Kens tropheous flake, and some krill once a week.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 pm 

i feed nls, cichlid attack, kens tropheus flake, and blood worms here and there. i like blood worms as a treat. krill is ok but sometimes it can be a bit large. brine shrimp would be a good choice as well. i am planing on adding that in soon to my regiment.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:50 am 

Spirulina 20 is my favorite flake for everyone in my fish room.
NLS thera a is good stuff too.

Blood worms and brine for the frozen and blackworms for the occasional live treat.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:50 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm 

I have or am currently using Ken's brine shrimp flake, hbh african attack, nls cichlid and growth pellets, freeze dried krill(crushed) also frozen blood worms and brine shrimp as a treat. My current favorite is ken's brine shrimp flake.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 am 

Hi
First of all, H.sp"red tail sheller" doesn't belong to the genus Platytaeniodus( it lacks the main morphologic characteristiks, the horse shoe U shaped jaws and the pyriform dentition) it's an oral extractor sheller, it eats bivalve and snails in the wild so a high level of proteins is needed for him. H.latifasciatus is an insect eater that needs a lots of proteins too but with a greater part of vegetable( it's an opportunists feeder)
xristof :D

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:38 am 

since we deal with a group of fish that can and do change thier morphology i would recomend watching your shellers and see what they act like. i have two seperate groups and one is always eating alge in the fake plants, and has totaly ignored the snails in the tank. the other group takes very little plant foods and has cleaned up all the snails in the tank. i feed them based on thier demonstrated prefrence.

alot of our species have been captive long enough to have changed its dietary needs. select a good commercial food such as nls or dinanchi pellets and a good flake such as kens cichlid flake and you should have no problems.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:38 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:45 am 

Hi Ross
:"since we deal with a group of fish that can and do change thier morphology i would recomend watching your shellers and see what they act like. i have two seperate groups and one is always eating alge in the fake plants, and has totaly ignored the snails in the tank. the other group takes very little plant foods and has cleaned up all the snails in the tank. i feed them based on thier demonstrated prefrence."

All the victorian's cichlids belong to trophic groups( this means that they have a major part of particular food in their diet ) this being said, we keep some vics species until more than 20 years( some until 30 years)and they didn't change thier morphology nor colors, even for some species as Astatoreochromis alluaudi, the molariform pharyngeal teeth can dvellop if fed with what they eat in the wild. SO there is a plasticity( an adaptative factor) in their morpholgy but this doesn't mean that they change from what they were originally.

"alot of our species have been captive long enough to have changed its dietary needs. select a good commercial food such as nls or dinanchi pellets and a good flake such as kens cichlid flake and you should have no problems"

To the first sentence, I would say wich species changed its dietary needs???? At my humble knowledge, none
None of the fishes changed teeth structures nor rows numbers, they adaptated to the food in aquarium but have still the same teeth numbers and form, the same rows and gaps between them and the same head morphology.
xris :)

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:45 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 pm 

I have mbuna, Frontosa, Haps, Tropheus, and Vics, so I feed a few things-Ocean Nutrition Omni Cichlid Flakes, their Veggie Flakes, NLS Thera A, NLS Grow, and H2O Life Krill for some of the bigger things like the Fronts and my Aristo Chrystis.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

I use Kens Fish Cichlid Flakes, Wardleys Cichlid Pellets, Tetras Tropical Flakes.

Most recently i'm going to be tryin Repashy "Meat Pie" to see how they take to the food. I know not all Victorians like alot of protein but I will see how it helps them while still using the above to ensure a blance diet :)

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 am 

I recently switched over entirely to Repashy foods myself. The grazers are getting "Soilent Green" and the insectivores are getting "Shrimp Souffle".

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm 

i feed Hikari Cichlid Excel and Bio-Gold pallets with some goldfish flakes in rotation....

no frozen or live worms for me.... i hate them... :lol:

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply