Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:30 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 4 of 5      [ 63 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:34 am 

Axel,

Thank you for your answer. I am curious whether you keep any sp. Limax or know anyone that does? It's a species that isn't over here....and a species that I would love to have.

On behalf of everyone here on this site, we are forever in your debt for this wonderful opportunity that you are assisting us with!!!

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:34 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 am 

oh, wow i see. no i understand where you are coming from axel. if you are not sure you wont give them out.

just kinda weird how they became hybrids so quickly. but hey if the ole says they are then it kinda hard to go against that.

i can pass to make sure that we get good pure strains.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: your choice from europe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 am 
Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong Axel, but it sounds like what you are saying is they were kept in species only tanks, and thus there is really no way you know of that they could have become hybrids? Unless it happened at the University of Leiden? Is this correct? I know sometimes offspring can just look way more vivid than parents. It could be as simple as diet, water parameters, or any other unestablished factor. Am I correct in assuming it is unclear in your minds if they are indeed hybrids Axel?

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 am 

Hi Me,

I got Degenis in 1995 from Ole. When they were grown iup to about 8 cm the males became a blueish color . After some time I gave them away and they are vanished now.
Four years ago I had the chance to get this specie again, from the university of Leiden. They looked in their aquarium like mine , nine years ago.
As they wanted to breed them once again I could not take them with me. But some moths later the fishkeeper of the university brought them to me. He also told me that they had sucess in breeding them.
As I always keep each species in its own tank, the degenis went in a tank of 100x60x40 cm. And until now they live there alone. They were very fertile in the following years and I could give away a lot. But some day nobody else wanted this species and therfore I had to grow them up.

In the meantime endymion (Sweden) showed pictures from his (mine) degenis. They looked different to mine, but they were their children. And my young degeni also began to set colors. And they looked like those of endymion. Then Thomas showed his degenis ( also breed of my university fish) And again you could see the colors.
Last year I got a new group of degenis from Leiden. And I kept them seperate to those I got years before. Although it should be degenis , some time later five of them changed their color and shape and I would say, these five are Labrochromis ishmaeli. The rest of the new degeni became colorful like those which I gave to other keepers.
That was the time, we asked Ole about this specie. Yes, and you know the answer.
My only hope is, that the university degenis belong to an import which happened after the nile perch boom. And in this way it could happen that degeni had changed its color during a kind of evolution. (like Yssichromis pyrrhocephalus)
But to be shure I wait for an answer from Leiden university.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:49 pm 
Veteran Member

Fascinating information Axel, Thanks for sharing~!

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:49 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 pm 
Associate Admin

I'm glad you guy's are so honest. Keep up the good work over there. I hope we can do this shipment more than once. It would be nice if we could do this every year or every other year.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:21 pm 

Ok I think Im going with .
Haplochromis Sp. flameback
Haplochromis Thereuterion
Neochromis Nigricans I might want a couple more , but have to do more research

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:21 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:29 pm 

Can any body help me out? :oops: What are the " rare" ones on the list? I'm looking for some that I cant find in the states ! This seems to be such a rare opportunity and I don't want to screw this up and get some thing I can already get !

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:29 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm 

well there are quite a few of the fish on the list the are here but not really available. they are still hard to get here so pretty much 80% of the list is rare.

if you go to www.haplochromis.org and check the species list you can see which ones are rare, in the wild.
other than that choose the ones you like and would like to share with everyone else.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:49 pm 

I think I hit the wrong button and sent this as a PM to someone. But here you go S10 jimmy. I would say anything you choose off of that list would be "rare" or hard to find. Just from the fact of where they are coming in from. The bloodlines over there are quality, more so than what you can usually find over here. Also many of these fish I would venture to say are either from or descendents of fish that were from the University over there that keeps the wild caught victorians. My advice would be for you to research the ones you are interersted in and then decide what best fits your interests (color, behavior, compatibility, etc). You can't go wrong with the species on that list.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:49 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am 
Dedicated Member

s10jimmy";p="2818 wrote:
Can any body help me out? :oops: What are the " rare" ones on the list? I'm looking for some that I cant find in the states ! This seems to be such a rare opportunity and I don't want to screw this up and get some thing I can already get !
Pick the fish with the least color, largest size piscivore, or extra agressive, then you'll be sure to have something no one else has, oops, I mean rare. ;~)

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 am 

Very rare
That can mean:
1. extinct in the wild
or
2. rare to find in Europe
@ 1. we don´t know by sure which species appeared again after the nile pearch boom and which are vanished .
But it seems that Labrochromis ishmaeli is not found any more in the wild.

I also heared that Haplochromis sp. "blue obliquidens" was not caught since years.

Very rare is Harpagochromis s. "orange rock hunter". It lives only at a very small rocky island.-Gabalema Island.

There could be some more, for example: Haplochromis sp. "flameback", Haplochromis sp. "red back scraper" and others which didn´t live between the rocks.
@ 2. Most of our species are rare because they are kept only by 1-4 keepers. Sometimes, when we are lucky we have two or three breeding females and later on about 80 offspring. Then we think, this species is not rare. Two or three months later the fish are vanished and you can call them -rare- again .

Here in Europe we may be max. 25 keepers with together about 70 species, who are very interested to keep those species alive. So you see, all are rare. When one of us ends with his hobby and nobody is to find to take his fish, then some species are very dangered.
That´s why we are interested to get into contact with you and send you fish. For us there is not much profit in this. But we want to safe our rare fish.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 am 

good news, we have some fry of Neochromis omnicaeruleus Makobe from an WB-female :D

Marco

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 am 
Veteran Member

Very cool, I count at least 20!

Does WB=Wild Born? In the US we say WC=Wild Caught just so you know ;)

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 am 

Hey Me,

here are the females different in colour.

WB = white blochted
OB = orange blochted
and then the "naturals" are greenish greyblue

Marco

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:38 am
Gender place holder
Page 4 of 5      [ 63 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Post a new topic Post a reply