Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 3 of 4      [ 54 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:02 pm 

tr6";p="4596 wrote:
may as well discuss abortion or religion.
won't get anywhere with the opposite side.
been that way since before our time, and will continue after the time of our children.
hmmm, what can i use for tankmates of my chilotes?

How about Rainbow fish as Dithers? They like hard water, colorful, fast, prolific spawners. Add some hornwort as a spawning medium and nitrate sponge you have a self sustaining tank!( almost).

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:02 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:52 pm 

Southern water nymph works much better than hornwart. I've always found hornwart to shed way too much. When southern water nymph breaks you just stick it into the sand or let it grow floating, works well with cichlids I have never had it get eaten.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:52 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm 
Associate Admin

Me";p="4604 wrote:
Big Jim";p="4586 wrote:
If this was such a good bill why are 37 states looking at or are going to file lawsuits to stop it. California can't afford what they are proposing. We are already 20 billion in debt.

Sorry, I have to respond to this one Big Jim,

The reason is because those states have huge backing from the medical industries to do just this. More than 60% of American bankruptcy's are because of medical bill debt. Without the debt you have consumers that spend more, which equals more money for large businesses, and for tax revenue. Creating health care for all is not just about health care, it creates a circular complete fix to many of our current crisis, and without it we will keep plummeting into a third world state.

For the record I have not had health insurance since I was 16. Most large employers that pay $10 an hour or less prefer to drop employees before their 3 months are up, ie before they qualify for health insurance. I have seen many of my friends and family who are dedicated workers face this. Even if you do manage to hang on to the job the health insurance they give you is nearly meaningless. My grandmother who was on a fixed income and worked all her life until she was no longer healthy enough to, payed $800 a month for Meds !

So broken.

We need to stop on this subject.

Congrats on your license even if it's half mine. :D

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: US Import/Export License
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm 
Veteran Member

I was done ;)

So are we still looking at May as a ship date?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 pm 
Dedicated Member

Dave";p="4605 wrote:
tr6"hmmm, what can i use for tankmates of my chilotes?" How about Rainbow fish as Dithers? They like hard water, colorful, fast, prolific spawners. Add some hornwort as a spawning medium and nitrate sponge you have a self sustaining tank!( almost).
I use Ameca splendens, a red list fish from Mexico. I have issues with hair algae, these guys clean it up. Likely eat all the hornwort though. I also have rainbow fish as dithers; The Praecox seem to be less agressive among each other. They don't get as big though.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 pm 

Me";p="4565 wrote:
I'm glad you said it Big Jim. I was watching congress all day today (something every American should be doing instead of listening to Corporate media). I heard all day "Americans don't want health care reform" Even heard a rep from my last town in Oregon (highest poverty in the state) saying that the people in his district are against it. A county where 70% of the people are on food stamps, with 14% unemployment doesn't want health care ? I can't be surprised by their lies any more, but I sure am offended that they think so many Americans are dumb enough to believe them. But when So called Liberal media outlets are sponsored by medical companies it is easy to understand how some are very very

That's why I moved into the country and relized the only thing that matters to me is my family, close friends, and my fish! lol but not really it's pretty sad how blind and goalable Americans can be. FREEDOM??? yeah right.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:29 pm 
Associate Admin

What FREEDOM are you talking about?

Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:29 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:24 pm 
Veteran Member

Lol, I thought we stopped?

For the record I am definitely a hippy, but I care much less about tree harvesting than I do about genetically engineered plants and tree's. They are trying to do a "trial" with something like 250,000 acres of genetically engineered eucyliptis (spelling) tree's in the southern US. They have engineered them to survive cold snaps. Talk to anyone in Australia, and various warm parts of the earth, and they will tell you how terribly invasive this tree is, not to mention a huge threat of wild fire. Australia had a terribly huge wild fire from them recently. Besides all that Genetic engineering creates trees with excessive pesticides that kill native animals, and though it kills some "bad" insects now, not all, and the ones that are surviving are resistant to the pestisides and creating more resistance with every generation. What effect does everyone think this will have on natural tree's with only natural amounts of natural pesticides? There is so much the Media is not telling people. We have been traveling on an extremely slippery slope, and though sometimes environmental groups are full of ********, and in fact many are in corporate pockets, it does not mean we should put our heads in the sand like ostriches and not look to see what real dangers are out there. If you only watch the media which is owned by corporations creating dangerous products your view is going to be greatly obscured. I urge everyone to do your own research on who owns AND sponsors every channel you watch, and try to connect the dots from these companies to their other companies. It starts to paint a clear picture fairly quickly that main stream news is not news, it is garbage.

On a smaller scale, why do the people around the rift lakes not take more action to conserve? Because of a lack of correct information. It is the same thing in most countries, but on a larger scale. Trillions of dollars are made by keeping people unaware of how the money is being made. Again I could go on and on, I research and research and research until it is too painful, as I know I am a small minority in the global mind and unless others wake to the truth very very soon we are pretty much on a ship that has already sunk.

Jim I greatly applaud you for going solar, I do hope the bloom box proves to be everything they are touting it to be as well. Are you familiar with the solar paint?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:43 pm 

My philosophy is if its non native kill it! Trees fish critters all of it!

p.s. I like fish.....

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:43 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm 
Associate Admin

Part of the problem with the spread of the Oakland fire was damn Eucalyptus trees. They are a problem with wild fires, native trees would have been a bit more resistant and the fire may have been more contained.

Fern";p="4638 wrote:
My philosophy is if its non native kill it! Trees fish critters all of it!
p.s. I like fish.....

I'm sure the Seminole tribe would agree with you 100%.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 am 

I take my parents Rhodesian ridge back (dog) out to the woods quite often stomping non native saplings as I go. When I go fishing and I catch something non native it turns into bait or chum, unless its a cichlid then it gets filleted and cooked with garlic and butter when I get home :wink: Florida is so overrun with invasive species its pathetic. Even the 'common' brown anole lizard is an invasive species, once Fred (my flowerhorn) gets bigger he will get as many brown anoles to eat as my kids can catch.
I won't kill things for spite, they all go to some good use or another. I was raised on the philosophy that if you kill it you eat it.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Veteran Member

I agree with this philosophy 100% Fern. Of the people I know there are a fair Amount of hunters, they all share this philosophy. We consider those that hunt for trophy's or just to kill, people who have issues of confidence.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 am 

I even go so far as to relocate poisonous snakes that end up in my neighborhood. I get them into a cooler and move them out to the woods where they wont get killed by people or kill people..... Just recently found out its some kind of felony or another though... Oh well :lol:

Yall should have seen the looks on my kids faces when I told them that if they killed a lizard they would have to eat it :lol: :lol: I even told them I would cook it for them :lol:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 am 
Veteran Member

nothing wrong with eating lizard ;)

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:50 am 
Associate Admin

If I see a rattler it's dead. I'm not going to eat ether.

Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:50 am
Gender place holder
Page 3 of 4      [ 54 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
Post a new topic Post a reply