Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 11 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: news to me
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 am 
Dedicated Member

Well, I finally have a box of fish being shipped by Rare Dave. It's been a long time and I've talked way too much about it. Now I think it's on it's way Fed Ex overnight.
8) I finally got those BAP fish sent! :P
Paralabidochromis chromogynos "Zue Island" from Robert (Ripple) and Xystichromis phytophagus "Lake Kenyaboli" from Kyle (snakeskinner) (Ross' strain) in an amazing show of HCCC BAP community good will and long distence whatever. :)
I even saved up some dough (and got them so cheep) to make it even more worth the transaction, not make Dave ship practically free fish that he didn't sell, and to jumpstart some breeding programs. Dave got rid of a handfull of those Harpagochromis sp. Orange Rock Hunter "Gabalema Island" and a handfull more albino Cynotilapia afra "Cobwe", ... or is it "Cobue".
Then I dangled the carrot in front of my drooling friend Carlos and I believe he filled up the box with fulus or scrapers.... :mrgreen:

I really also forgot to tell Dave to have the FEDEX guy drop the box at the side porch door and that the ManBearPig will just bark alot; no that's not Spooky Fish. Spooky Fish will be alerted by ManBearPig, then come and get the box of fish. :lol:

I honestly can't thank the guys at HCCC enough.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: news to me
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 am 
Veteran Member

Sounds like you're stoked, and it also sounds like you have mystical creatures lurking around your place. Congratulations on both !

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm 
Associate Admin

Congrats on the new fish.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 am 
Dedicated Member

My Xystichromis phytophagus are not "Lake Kenyaboli". I guess we should consider them an aquarium strain as the collection point is a guess; no way to trace it back to the lake.
Not like many of the fish we are getting from Germany.
I know they originally came from Ross, and he got them from someone in Thailand I believe....

ManBearPig is Spooky's 165 lb. chocoalate Labrador Retriever guest.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:55 pm 
Veteran Member

that's a big Chocolate Lab :shock:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:55 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 pm 
Associate Admin

That is a huge lab.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm 

nice. i have been looking for some more chromogynos myself. my male seems to be infertile. i talked to ken davis but all in all i dont have the money. just spent the last of it on some more supplies.

any pics of the zue island biotype yet??

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm 
Dedicated Member

If you mean the biotope tank I will combine the species in? That is yet to be built.
I will house these in a bare bottom species tank until a breeding colony of two males and 10 - 12 females is established. Likely spare males to be produced first. Then I will start collecting fry for distribution and stock my biotope tank as the breeding is established.
If you are wondering what the Zue Island P. chromogynos looks like, it's form is the familiar one we have in the states.

I believe they are related to these from Greg Steves:

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm 
Dedicated Member

OK, so it has been two weeks. Last week I couldn't tell what was what.
I have two christmas fulus holding and the orange rock hunters are showing what I believe is breeding activity. Now an obvious ORH male has shown up and he wedges himself into a small crack between rocks with what I believe is a smaller female.

Got to get pictures this weekend.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Veteran Member

Looking forward to some pics ;)

Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:56 am 
Dedicated Member

Me";p="5284 wrote:
Looking forward to some pics ;)
Me too, my camera broke....

So two tiny christmas fulu are still holding. None of the males are showing any color, but the suspects look to have much bigger skulls than the known females. The largest "male" got ripped up, but still appears to dominate. Three front dorsal spines were ripped out by the roots in the bag and look to not be growing back. Now three weeks later both pelvic fins are completely gone. Moved it to a tank with labs and other hearty stock (fry). I thought that being in a 40 gal with lots of small hiding spots would keep the agression down....

The P. chromogynos have doubled in size. There are at least four with no blotches at all, I wasn't expecting that as I thought that was pretty rare. Does anyone know if this is a sexual dimorphism (are the unblotched ones specifically male or female)?

Sent a young adult Lethrinops sp. Deep Orange to the ECC auction... did not go though. They had like 500 lots, several hundred people and an open bar :twisted:

Needless to say some things went too expensive and other rare stuff really cheap.

My buddy Mike came back with fish for me H. sp. Ruby ($5), Astatotilapia Latifasciata, H. "Thick Skin" sp. 44 all from S10jimmy. He also got Cynotilapia sp. "hara" (Rare Dave stock), Cynotilapia afra "Cobue", Metriaclima sp. "mbweca", Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei", 5 jet black guppies and other stuff that will only be discovered when he looks in the tanks today. I couldn't keep track late last night...
Apparently he was "tanked" at the auction as well and does not recall all he bought.
:lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 5:56 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 11 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply