Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 4 of 6      [ 81 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
 Post subject: Re: Wild caught Vic's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 pm 

Me";p="621 wrote:
Hey, if there is ever a trip to collect, though I likely won't have the funds to go, I would gladly pitch in any amount I can in exchange for some fish. It may not be much, but I could probably pony up $100-300 depending on when the trip takes place. Maybe a little more. I know it is probably not much in the whole scheme of what you folks would like to do, but surely it would at least help export some extra fish. Maybe?

I really admire what some on this site are aiming for, and of course I would love some wonderful fish to keep, but I truly want to help with that aim in anyways possible. Perhaps if enough people who can't actually go to Africa contributed to those that can, we could start this thing off right, and soon(er).

I think the real issue is how to get the fish through US Customs and Fish and Game? I'm going to make a trip to Lake Victoria and the surrounding region some day, even if it kills me. I can fly there for free, I would just need some contacts and all the technical data on importing wild fish to the US.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:53 pm 

Big Jim";p="478 wrote:
I have to call off my trip to the PCCA meeting. I have a family Reunion to go too. I will have to go in Sept.

Allen,

Any chance you are going to attend the PCCA meeting this month? Think it is the 14th?

Let me know,

Dirk

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:53 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:13 am 
Administrator

Sept with Ad was Fantastic!

I think the next talk I intend to be there for is in December

Dec 12: Mr. Chuck Rambo
"Victorians"

www.frontosa.com

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:13 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:24 pm 

i need to get some of these guys here to our club.

and pantera, the problem is not customs and stuff in the US, it is getting back alive. the countries around the lake are not the nicest places to visit. i looked into it the other day for tanzania. there were several warnings not to go out at night in certain cities, and to watch out for robbers dressed as cops and such.

so it makes for a difficult trip unless you are brave enough to go alone or have a reliable contact to work with you.

there are several licenses you need to import/export fish. they should be no more than 50-70$. i know a bud of mine got one just in case.... LOL the trick is to get them and yourself back alive.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:24 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:52 pm 

dre_day";p="1382 wrote:
i need to get some of these guys here to our club.

and pantera, the problem is not customs and stuff in the US, it is getting back alive. the countries around the lake are not the nicest places to visit. i looked into it the other day for tanzania. there were several warnings not to go out at night in certain cities, and to watch out for robbers dressed as cops and such.

so it makes for a difficult trip unless you are brave enough to go alone or have a reliable contact to work with you.

there are several licenses you need to import/export fish. they should be no more than 50-70$. i know a bud of mine got one just in case.... LOL the trick is to get them and yourself back alive.

I wasn't too concerned about the survival of the fish, thinking to replace the water and repack in FRA or LHR and then back to the states. Yep, but I hear you, the surrounding area being dangerous.....but to see the fish in their natural habitat, to be right there with them.....well, a man can dream can't he?

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:52 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:53 pm 

Allen";p="1330 wrote:
Sept with Ad was Fantastic!

I think the next talk I intend to be there for is in December

Dec 12: Mr. Chuck Rambo
"Victorians"

Already have the date on my calender....I'm there for sure!

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:53 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 am 

That would be somthing specieal.Picke me up some red Mwanzas,lol.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am 
Veteran Member

It's funny cause I just had good friend tell me about the time he was abducted in Cambodia. Well his story ended well because he had just gotten tattoos done a week before by basically a shaman. The tattoos are a sign of protection which no one messes with at all because it's an ancient legend, and basically that person has protection and to mess with them is asking for major trouble. They had taken him across several border crossings and he passed a national geographic team that looked at him like they were seeing things, as they took him deep where apparently other than the national geographic team there were absolutely no white people, and here he was walking in with Cambodian gangsters. Well to make a long story short, after taking him far away and into a dwelling, he told them no one would pay a dime for him, and then showed him the tattoos.. after seeing the tattoos they asked him how much his bus fair was (they abducted him off his bus) and gave him the exact amount and walked him back to the main road.

Sooo What tattoos are legendary in the countries surrounding victoria ?? :wink:

the funny thing is I had no idea he had any tattoos other than a tribal band on his ankle until he told me this story two days ago. He showed me the tattoos, and they were clearly not your normal tats. I believe it was done with stone needles if memory serves me. Pretty cool Sh&* I thought. FYI this guy does not BS at all.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am 
Dedicated Member

Me";p="1410 wrote:
It's funny cause I just had good friend tell me about the time he was abducted in Cambodia. Well his story ended well because he had just gotten tattoos done a week before by basically a shaman. The tattoos are a sign of protection which no one messes with at all because it's an ancient legend, and basically that person has protection and to mess with them is asking for major trouble. They had taken him across several border crossings and he passed a national geographic team that looked at him like they were seeing things, as they took him deep where apparently other than the national geographic team there were absolutely no white people, and here he was walking in with Cambodian gangsters. Well to make a long story short, after taking him far away and into a dwelling, he told them no one would pay a dime for him, and then showed him the tattoos.. after seeing the tattoos they asked him how much his bus fair was (they abducted him off his bus) and gave him the exact amount and walked him back to the main road.

Sooo What tattoos are legendary in the countries surrounding victoria ?? :wink:

the funny thing is I had no idea he had any tattoos other than a tribal band on his ankle until he told me this story two days ago. He showed me the tattoos, and they were clearly not your normal tats. I believe it was done with stone needles if memory serves me. Pretty cool Sh&* I thought. FYI this guy does not BS.

Thats crazy me!!!

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 am 

I had a shippment of Plakats stollen from Indonesia after paying $300 to be sent and another $500 on the 6 fish.They never showed up but having a friend in Indo I sent him to the farm I payed money for fish.He arrived to find a packed up farm,lol.I learned my lesson on Importing.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm 
Veteran Member

Anthony";p="1412 wrote:

Thats crazy me!!!

Yeah, there are quite a few people I know that need to be writing books, as they have had some crazy adventures. But I have also lost and almost lost some very good friends to crazy travel situations.

This guy has been all over, and basically has a network of friends worldwide. When they abducted him it was because abducter A heard him say his name at the bus station while getting his ticket, so at one of the bus stops there was a guy standing outside the bus with a sign and my friends name. My friend figured his friends had arranged for a gathering and sent someone to pick him up on the bus path which they knew he was on, so he got off the bus. He started figuring things out pretty quick as there were check points, and the two guys walking him through it told him to say he knew them and was not being instructed (I maybe slightly misquoting). There were signs at these check points saying "please tell someone if you do not know your companions and are being instructed" again I am probably slightly misquoting, but anyways... he walked ahead of his "companions a few times trying to ditch them, but they kept running up to catch up but trying to still play it cool. When they finally got to the place they took him to, the guy inside was someone he had seen at the bus station when he had said his name, and he put all the pieces together at that point. I actually spoke to him a little while ago, and the tats were a tiger which is the protector with some native .script prayers, and then a triangular structure which represents nine holly mountains and also there were prayers of protection under this. To show you the weight of these tattoos, the full ending which I omitted simply because unless you know this guy it's hard to believe is... When he showed the tattoos, and the guys were taken back.. he said in the native tongue "go **^& your mother, and flicked his cigarette at eye level inches past the main guys head. The guys all went silent and then the main guy said "We have the wrong guy" in english, and it was at that point he asked him how much for the bus fair.. etc etc.. My friend did fully know the power of the tats for the record though, but I think he also knew from past experience sometimes you have to put on the tough guy act to get out of the sketch and knew the tattoos were backing his act up big time. Again though this guy has been in street brawls in Thailand and has lost friends as well to crazyness, so though this may sound epic, it's kinda just what he felt he needed to do given the situation.

I am a bit jealous of his lifestyle at times, but I can do without the abduction... but then again considering the outcome, I am still a bit jealous.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 pm 
Dedicated Member

^ me I'll pass lol

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 pm 
Veteran Member

Lol, I know. I have had some oppurtunities in the past to go to some of these places, and he is always telling me cool stories about places I should go. But they are usually accompanied by some crazy sh*&. This so far is the crem de la crem of craziness.. but I think I am going to have to grill him more.. as he usually only tells the crazy stuff after I ask "isn't it a bit sketchy there though?".

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 am 

Man what I would do to be able to have done some of the thengs he has done.I have allways wanted to go to Indo. or Vietnam to get a local style tatto with real meaning.I'm very facinated with other cultures and the way they live.Exspecial eastern countries.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:05 am 
Veteran Member

jeff.b";p="1506 wrote:
Man what I would do to be able to have done some of the thengs he has done.I have allways wanted to go to Indo. or Vietnam to get a local style tatto with real meaning.I'm very facinated with other cultures and the way they live.Exspecial eastern countries.

Me too Jeff, I really want to go to vietnam. I hate to keep saying scary things, but my wife who is Japanese says most japanese believe the Vietnamese will drug your food, and then rob you in certain towns. The friend with the tat says he hasn't had this problem, and he has been to Vietnam. I will be visiting him today, and think I will ask if I can photo the tats, and post them. Pretty sure he won't have a problem with that. If you ever are ready to go let me know, and I will get him to post the do's and do not's, and the where's and where not's ;) He was even gifted a place in Bali by the locals, which apparently I can go live at anytime!

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:05 am
Gender place holder
Page 4 of 6      [ 81 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Post a new topic Post a reply