Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 3 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Rift Lake special in Japan
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:06 am 
Veteran Member

I just got through watching a 1 hour Rift lake special on Japanese telivision. I missed it last week and was very happy it was on again. I would say all around this was better then Jewels of the Rift. Some very nice shots. It did focus a bit too much on catfish for my taste towards the end, but just when I was thinking "are they going to get back to the cichlids", I saw some large Malawi looking fish, and then a very large fish taking them out. Then clearly heard the Announcer say "Nile Perch". In my near slumber state my head said "Are their Nile Perch in Malawi?", but then the better half of my brain said, "wait look how murky that water is". Just then they played some hopeful music (were playing dramatic loss music before) and started showing little fish swimming amongst the rocks in even murkier water. Then a close up on what looked exactly like a male Neochromis Rufocaudilis Saa Nane in full dress to impress colors. A large one at that. It was for certain either this fish or another CP of Neochromis Rufocaudilis. The water was fairly murky and snowy, but they had about 15 seconds of very clear footage of this fish cruising around some rocks. The footage of what I presume were open water haps meeting their end to the Nile perch was also fairly clear. This show looked very new and was in HD. I will do what I can to record at least the Victorian part if it is on again with my wife's Camera as it has HD video. This was a very nice surprise to see a Victorian I keep in its natural environment, not to mention open water Haps still there. I would guess the Male Rufocaudils was close to 6 inches, and seemed to have a very slight hump head, so I am curious if this is a trait that comes with size or possibly a different CP. Color, body, nose were all dead on for Neochromis Rufocaudilis Saa Nane though, including Bright red flag tail.

Sun May 29, 2011 5:06 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Rift Lake special in Japan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 am 

Hi it could also be Neochromis gigas, normally rufocaudalis has not a big size. :)
xris :)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Rift Lake special in Japan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am 
Veteran Member

xristof, can you link me to a pic?

the fish in the video could have been 4 1/2 to 6 inches, obviously not easiest to tell with nothing of known size to compare to. I was going mostly by the bulk of the fish compared to mine. According to the info I gathered from Axel, Marco and Thomas Rufocaudilis Saa Nane can reach upwards of 5 inches (13 cm)

Here is a link to "The Euro List with Pics", which was simply pics and some basic info about the fish I put together using pics from the Euro site. Rufocaudilis is listed. I haven't seen this show since, and in fact forgot about it until you just reminded me. I will see if I can't dig up some info on the show online, but I seem to remember trying before. I am a little surprised there is no info about this video in any of the Euro circles, though being a Japanese documentary, it is understandable how it could have gone unnoctice.d

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 3 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply