Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: Re: Paralabidochromis chromogynos Spawning Prep 101
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am 

Yes, that would be when to start counting. When you see the bulging mouth. If seperating into another tank, you MAY see one or two adventurous fry out and about before the rest, and mom may attempt to grab them back up (this would also be a great time to strip the rest). This is from my observations of a few demasoni moms I seperated before I just started stripping everything. My thought process is; You're already stressing them from catching and moving, so why not let the little guys out and let mom eat a few days earlier? Plus you might save a few more fry that would get accidentally chomped when mom's trying to snatch everyone up again.
That being said, I did lose a couple moms about a week after stripping, but I believe it was due to too much male harassment after being weakened from holding. They may have benefitted from a few days eating in a seperated tank? But now there are more fish in the tank to distract my males, so I think I'm good.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 am 

Thanks Alphawild for taking the time to respond to me...I seriously need the help and input and appreciate your sharing with me.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 am 

Happy to answer some questions, instead of doing all the asking for a change. :mrgreen:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 pm 

Here we go again...this time I have a fry box for the main tank on order and have spoken to a couple of different (wonderful) people trying to get things figured out...so hopefully this time around I'll get it done...these guys sure are

oh and if you don't like techno you might want to turn down the sound

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 pm 
Associate Admin

CONGRATS.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:09 pm 

OK...long story...after about 45 minutes of catching fish (Mom was the last one), I got her and put her in the bucket to await the tank refill and box setup and she spit the babies. Five (5) of them. I was so excited. I gave her a little time and dipped her a couple of times but didn't see any other little ones so put Mom back in the main tank.

Babies were put into a floating fry box (I was worried about the temp in the bucket as it had been sitting for a while) until I got the new box set up. While working on it, my husband was refilling the tank and when done I told him the water level was too high as the water was flowing over the top of the new box on the front. He lowered the water level and start priming the HOB's for refill while I was putting the babies into the new box (I opted to pour them in from the small box). My husband was directly across from me at the back of the tank filling one of the HOB's so there was flow coming towards the front. It didn't occur to me that that might be a problem. Worried more about the babies in the small box coming out of the box I was not watching the big box...as I put the babies in apparently the water level went over the top again and when I looked down I saw a baby in the main tank water. FREAKOUT. I quickly grabbed my net and caught up a couple of babies and lowered the water level in the big fry box. I was only able to recatch two (2) babies out of the five (5).

If you are not a woman you might not understand this, but I cried. I just sat down and looked at the two babies that were left and cried. So now, tears shed but still not feeling any better ....I now have my 1st two Paralabidochromis chromogynos babies. Not much or many but at least its a start. And I was proud of the mom as she was very young still and held those babies very well.

Drumroll...here they are

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:09 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm 

So Cool, I want some

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

cichlid-gal wrote:
OK...long story...after about 45 minutes of catching fish (Mom was the last one), I got her and put her in the bucket to await the tank refill and box setup and she spit the babies. Five (5) of them. I was so excited. I gave her a little time and dipped her a couple of times but didn't see any other little ones so put Mom back in the main tank.

Excited, stressed females will sometimes spit some but not all their brood. What do you mean when you say you "dipped" her? Only five fry from a female the size of the one in your video is an unusually small number. Are you sure you got them all out?

Don't be too upset. If they bred once they will likely do it again and again. You have a very nice tank setup and this species hasn't proven to be as easy to breed as some other vics.

Congratulations,
Kevin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 am 

Thanks parrothead and Kevin.

The female I caught yesterday was actually a different female than the one in the video. She was further along than the one in the video and I knew she was about ready to let her babies go. Still new to this so I'm not a "stripper" :roll: but I did try to help her along after I saw her spit the babies. On another forum I read that you can gently hold the female and kinda dip her mouth in and out of the water. I had luck with that on another female I had spit babies recently (my M. sp. zebra gold lions cove WC). As I go along, I will hopefully get braver in my attempts to help the females out but for now I'm still rather reserved in my choices.

As for holding more babies...I'm not sure. She still stayed in the area of the tank that she had while holding yesterday and did not eat but my previous female (again the zebra) took a day to eat. So we will see today. She was small and still pretty young. If I did miss some I will know to be more diligent next time and put her into a box to make sure. I probably should have done that anyway in retrospect. But still learning here so each step is new ... sometimes steps are forward, sometimes backwards but at least I'm taking those #$#(% steps.

Donna

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm 

Any success is still a success. Like Kevin said, you seem to have things going well in your tank, so you'll have plenty of chances to learn as you go. I'll dip a holding mom while keeping her mouth open to get the last, stubborn fry out, but I've not heard of dipping alone to get fry out?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm 

ah well...knowing me I probably got it mixed up in mind what I was supposed to be doing...I'll just have to try to get things right in the future. Thanks Alphawild :)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm 

maybe you said why, but why do you not want to strip the mama's?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

Hey it sounds like you are doing just fine! I just got some Ps. Demasoni (not victorian, but CARES) and one female spit on her way home in the bag!!! crazy fish!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 am 

beachtan wrote:
maybe you said why, but why do you not want to strip the mama's?

Inexperience, fear of hurting the female who is so precious, some readings regarding letting things happen naturally, being a little more holistic in approach to fish rearing/fish bearing...probably all those things. I'm learning as I go. As my confidence in handling holding females (removing, spitting, fry care, etc) increases, possibly my reluctance will be set aside.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am 

I don't strip because love to observe how Mother Nature works

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply