Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:14 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 3 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: Re: Paralabidochromis chromogynos Spawning Prep 101
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm 

A new mama in my new 20G holding tank (and it did cycle very nicely Dreday)

Click the link for video

I still have two babies growing up in the main tank in a fry box but hoping to get a few more in this scenerio...I think she is still holding eggs and I pulled her pretty early as the last couple of times, I've waited and then either mama has spit or I've missed the pull for some reason...figured I'd rather get her out than not so GOT HER! now we will wait and see :)

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:46 am 
Associate Admin

Congrats with the spawn.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am 

very nice.

i usually go through the tank every two - three weeks. I watch when they are holding and make notes on the dates. i usually want to pull and strip at 10 days. But for first time mommys i want to let them hold on their own until they completely spit their fry out. i think that helps them build confidence with the fry and they dont spit when i catch them.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm 
Veteran Member

Hi Cichlid Girl, maybe you are a pro by now since this thread is a little old, but a very simple low stress (on you and the fish) way to strip is to put the fish head down into a funnel or funnel shaped item (can even bee wax paper or plastic rolled up and taped) Obviously make sure it is the right sized funel for the fish (not to narrow not too wide). Then simply use a picture of tank water and pour it slowy and gently over the fishes gills (backwards) the fishes mouth will fill with water and it will have no choice but to open it, and wahlah out come the babies. OH, and of course do it over a bucket or tank for the babies ;) Someone shared this with me awhile back and it became my standard method, because it is so easy and also seems to get all the babies. Good luck, you have some great fish!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm 

Me wrote:
Hi Cichlid Girl, maybe you are a pro by now since this thread is a little old, but a very simple low stress (on you and the fish) way to strip is to put the fish head down into a funnel or funnel shaped item (can even bee wax paper or plastic rolled up and taped) Obviously make sure it is the right sized funel for the fish (not to narrow not too wide). Then simply use a picture of tank water and pour it slowy and gently over the fishes gills (backwards) the fishes mouth will fill with water and it will have no choice but to open it, and wahlah out come the babies. OH, and of course do it over a bucket or tank for the babies ;) Someone shared this with me awhile back and it became my standard method, because it is so easy and also seems to get all the babies. Good luck, you have some great fish!

I've reached the point of letting my fish spit naturally in a holding/fry tank. When I see the babies, I give the mom a little time with them then remove her to a recovery tank. I have had some moms that still hold onto a few babies and I find them in the recovery tank but that tank is usually a grow out tank anyway so they survive. I am much more of a natural type in the scheme of things ... low key maybe. Sometimes my spawns are not as large as others but I'm ok with that as long as the mom's are. Less stress on both of us.

I have a fry tank with about 17 P. chromogynos babies in it right now and I'm super happy. I have just offered up CARES shares of a few of them trying to help others get interested in these beautiful fish. Not having a lot of takers but that's ok as I can absorb most of them back into my tanks I think.

I am loving my Vics and think it is one of the best decisions I have made as far as fish keeping. There is something about caring for a species that needs help and is at risk in the wild, having babies from the same, and raising them. Maybe at some point I will have an abundance of them...I can only wish :) Then what will I do :lol:

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm 
Associate Admin

Learn how to ship fish. :D

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:14 am 
Veteran Member

Yes, shipping fish is surprisingly easy. BTW Cichlidgirl, me and Big Jim both received Rufo's from the European group order for the very reason of conserving and sharing this species. He has had a bit more success than me, but I have a good excuse :roll: I know first hand how wonderful those fish are though, and it's great to see the next generation doing well and producing fry!

BTW, is my memory off, or are you in Washington state?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:14 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am 

Big Jim wrote:
Learn how to ship fish. :D

Yes Jim...that is on my list of things to do :lol:

Me wrote:
Yes, shipping fish is surprisingly easy. BTW Cichlidgirl, me and Big Jim both received Rufo's from the European group order for the very reason of conserving and sharing this species. He has had a bit more success than me, but I have a good excuse :roll: I know first hand how wonderful those fish are though, and it's great to see the next generation doing well and producing fry!

BTW, is my memory off, or are you in Washington state?

And Me...yes, I'm Washington State. I'm still waiting for my Rufo's to spawn but I know its gonna happen and maybe already has and I just missed it. The fish are young yet so we will see. I have lots of promising behaviors and everyone has settled in very nicely...everyone has their spot and pecking order so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that conditions will be good enough for them to produce a spawn (or more).

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am
Gender place holder
Page 3 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply