Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Problems with blue obliquidens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

Is anyone other than BigJim keeping this vic successfully? I have my third (long term unsuccessful) colony in a single species 55 gallon tank and it always ends up the same. They breed easily enough, but eventually the male gets considerably bigger than the females and kills them all off one by one. If I put two male Hap blue obliquidens in the 55 it is constant all out war until I have only one. I have a group of BO fry growing out and one of my few remaining adult females is about to spit. But this is getting pretty frustrating. It is such an incredibly beautiful Victorian, but I'm thinking of giving up on this species if enough of you are keeping it going. I don't have a bigger tank available for them and I think that's what they need. I keep throwing my excess males into a catch-all 180 gallon tank and they fight a lot there too but not enough to kill each other.

Kevin

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Problems with blue obliquidens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 am 

What does Big Jim do to keep them successfully? I don't have them, but I'm curious, if his are going well, what does he do different?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am 

I would like to try keeping that one. My Red Flanks have been giving me and J Powell the same issue, the males kill all the other males, and the females over time as well. I'm about two weeks away from having my fish room going in my garage, and going to move the Red Flanks into a 75 along with some Labei Fuelleborni Katale. Even in heavilly rocked tanks, the Red Flanks cow all my other fish and eventually all other males, even when just kept species only. I decided to try bumping them up to a 75 to try and give the less dominant fish more room to get away, and again go heavilly aquascaped. I tried going minimal aquascaping and the results were worse.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Associate Admin

I have 2 males and 3 females in the original group. I'm also growing out a group for my next breeding group. The group looks a little male heavy. I hope this group works out like my first group.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

Big Jim wrote:
I have 2 males and 3 females in the original group. I'm also growing out a group for my next breeding group. The group looks a little male heavy. I hope this group works out like my first group.

Single species tank? How big is the tank?

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:18 pm 
Associate Admin

Single species tank with fake plants and a couple of smaller pvc pipes. I have found fake plants help with aggression. It will brake the line of sight when the alpha gets aggressive. I did lose one male and one female over the years.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:18 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 am 

Big Jim wrote:
Single species tank with fake plants and a couple of smaller pvc pipes. I have found fake plants help with aggression. It will brake the line of sight when the alpha gets aggressive. I did lose one male and one female over the years.

+1 Big Jim....I use fake plants too when necessary and have found them to be very effective in reducing aggression and stress in a tank.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am 

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about solutions for this problem. He has used egg crate for years to separate large aggressive males from his females.

the idea is that you use the egg crate to divide the tank, by one third for mouthbrooders. Keep one or two males on one side and the 5-6 females on the other sides. They should be able to spawn through the crate and fertilize the eggs. He said he used to keep yellow labs like that to see how it worked.

He used it for other egg laying cichlids and tried it on mouthbrooders. that could be an option instead of going to a bigger tank.

I am going to try it out with my P macs because once the males reach 3-4" they are much bigger and stronger than the females and beat them up. I have to start new groups once they reach that size because they stop spawning and start killing. I keep the extra males in one other tank.

It will also be easier to feed the females more food to get them conditioned faster.

So that is the theory, i have not tried it yet but have good reason to believe it works. I am also going to be using that on some neolamp. cylindricus i have growing out.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

Good idea Dre, I might do that as well with the P. Macs I got from you as well.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply