Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Re: wild caught vics
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 am 

here is the description made by Ole Seehausen in lake victoria rock cichlids;"Young males can be blueish but full adults are deep black and have a very characteristic anal fin coloration that is unique among the Known mbipi species, but similar to that of the blue nyererei(azurea). The anal fin is pink between the hard spines. Behind the spinouspart of the fin the pink gradually fades away making place for white with a faint pink flush.the caudal fin is blackish with a pink margin of irregular width, the black dorsal fin has pink lappets." The fish sold in France under the name P.pundamilia Makobe has these characteristics and I wonder if the same species is sold in the US under the name Pundamilia pundamilia makobe?
xris :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 am 

Here are the species of algae scrapers and insectivores found at Makobe island
Neochromis rufocaudalis
N.omnicaruleus
N.gigas
N.greenwwodi
Mbipia lutea
M.mbipi
H.sp «blue obliquidens »
H.sp «short snout scraper »
H.sp »large eyes nigricans"
Insectivores:
Pundamilia.nyererei
P.pundamilia
P.sp «pink anal »
Haplochromis sauvagei
H.flavus
H.cyaneus
H.chilotes
Lithochromis xanthopteryx
the blue fish seems to be N.omnicaruleus in plain color, the females could be this species too.

Juma island:
Pundamilia nyererei
Pundamilia pundamilia
P.sp"big blue"
P.sp"pink anal"
Neochromis.sp"black nigricans"
Mbipia mbipi
Mbipia lutea
H.sauvagei
H.fisheri
H.chilotes
Lithochromis xanthopteryx ;)

Last edited by xristof on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 am 

Hi I made a parallel with the species recorded at makobe island and Juma island versus the OWE list of vics
NEW WILD CAUGHT AREAS: Mwanza, Makobe Island, Juma Island Tanzania
Lithochromis rufus "red pseudonigricans" if the fish is caught at Makobe, it couldn't be this species as no samples ever caught rufus or rubripinnis at Makobe
'Haplochromis' sp. velvet black makobe Island: normally N.greenwoodi but pictures of males and females are necessary to clarify if it's Mbipia mbipi or N.greenwoodi
'Haplochromis' sp. two line hunter type Juma Island NEW!
Mbipi sp. barred blue dorsal rock picker type Juma Island NEW! pix are needed to know if it's a Mbipia mbipi or N.sp"black nigricans"
Neochromis sp. black OB piebald Makobe Island: Normally N.omnicaruleus
Neochromis sp. long black fin scraper Makobe Island NEW!: from the pix I saw, N.omnicaruleus
Paralabidochromis sauvagei 'red rock kribensis' red Juma Island
Pundamilia nyererei red Juma Island
Pundamilia nyererei red Makobe Island
Pundamilia sp. red anal nyererei Makobe Island this species isn't referenced in Makobe, pix are needed to clarify if it's Pundamilia pundamilia or P.sp"pink anal"if the anal and caudal fins are red then its P.pundamilia :) or if the fish is entirely black with the only anal fin red, it could be P.sp"all black"
Pundamilia sp. 7 stripe zebra Juma Island It could be Pundamilia sp"big blue" because P.pundamilia has no more than 6 bars, if it has a kinda massive head like P.sp"red head" then there is good chance that this is the sp big blue, the big blue from this place is pinkish red on the head surface, snout, flanks, back, gill cover, all the fins are pinkish red, the flanks can be on their under part yellow to almost white
Neochromis sp. black OB piebald Makobe Island normally N.omnicaruleus but females of N.greenwoodi can be OB too
Neochromis sp. giant scraper Makobe Island aka Neochromis gigas, a rarety males from makobe are blue with the caudal, anal and soft part of the dorsal fin red, it can grow to 16 cm long
Neochromis sp. red-orange piebald Makobe Island could be either N.greenwoodi or omnicaruleus
Paralabidochromis sauvagei 'red rock kribensis' Mwanza
Pundamilia nyererei red Makobe Island
Pundamilia nyererei Mwanza Gulf
Pundamilia pundamilia 'zebra nyererei' Makobe Island the fish sold under this name in France is P.sp"pink anal" :D the Pundamilia pundamilia makobe is a dark blue fish with the caudal, anal and soft part of the dorsal fin vivid red, it has less than 6 vertical bars
xris :)

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 am 

here's a link to the fish I saw in France of the wild caught vics
http://www.abysse-cichlides.com/pages/a ... -afric.htm
the Lithochromis red pseudonigricans is in fact L.xanthopteryx, the females I saw were too brown to be L.rufus
the P.pundamilia pundamilia zebra Makobe is the same species than the sp black makobe But his fish is Pundamilia.sp"pink anal"
:)

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 am 

the black makobe from the link is one of the species i have. i will try to get some pics today, they are still very shy.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm 

Good news, I got a spawn!!! I think it was 2-3 days ago. I thought i only had one female from the velvet black group. She was in another tank with one male that i was let settle in so i could take some pics. I put them back in yesterday and i thought the other "sub" dominant male was looking a little skinny. So i feed them and he did not eat, because he was hiding.

so i checked tonight again and still not eating. so i watched more carefully when 'he' came out of hiding. then i see HER chewing bubble gum. WOHOO. lets just hope they are the right species, i still do not have a proper id yet.

I need to send some over to my buddy for a photo session so i can pass them around for some good ids. Xris has proposed Pundamilia "pink anal" nyererei. I have no idea on that as i can not find any extensive info on that species. we shall have to see.

www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 am 

Hi Dre day, the only reference to its biology is in the Ole Seehausen book Lake victoria rock cichlids. It says that the P.sp" pink anal" is found at Makobe, Juma and two others islands, living from 4 meters deep but being much more abundant at 5 meters .It feeds predominantly on zooplancton, it occupies the exposed to waves little rocks and boulders on gently slope.This species doesn't live exactly in the same habitat than the P.pundamilia(living in holes inside the rocks) and is rather close to Pundamilia azurea in ecology.
xris
That's all the infos on it, this is a very new species in the hobby as it never reached any hobbysit aquarium before. :)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm 

i will keep my fingers crossed.

:mrgreen:

www.ftffacoop.com

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply