Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 19 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: N. rufocaudalis - tank upgrade input needed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 am 

OK...as all of you know I have a beautiful group of Neochromis rufocaudalis. They are currently housed in a 55G tank in my living room. I also have a 75G tank in the living room that is right now housing a breeding group of Cynotilapia zebroides (Nkhata Bay) yellow blaze. I have been working over the last few months to get my tanks set so that I can have mostly big tanks in the house and move the smaller tanks to the garage.

I want to get my 125G P. Chromogynos tank into my house and will be putting it where the 75G tank is currenly sitting. So....I will need to do something with 75G tank. Rather than move it out to the garage I was thinking to put it where the 55G tank is and put the N. rufocaudalis (2M/9F) in it.

My question #1 is this...is this a good thing for this group or should I leave them in the smaller 55G tank. Most of my readings indicate the larger the tank the better so I was thinking the larger tank would be good for them.

Question #2 is this...if I do relocate them to the 75G should I keep the N. rufocaudalis as a species only or would it be better to add some other fish in with them? If so, are there some you would recommend.

At this point I'm open to any and all suggestions as I'm just in the planning, thinking stages but next month I want to get things done.

Thanks for your assistance and input.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: N. rufocaudalis - tank upgrade input needed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm 
Associate Admin

I would move them to the 75, they would love the room.

I would keep it a species only tank.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 am 

Thanks Jim :)

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm 

I agree fully Jim, they'll love the 75, and def. agree on species only tank.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 pm 

OK...moved my group to a used 72G bowfront as it was ready now (and I got it setup in the house moving the 39G community out to the garage and the 72G is almost as big as the 75G but that's not going to be ready for another couple of weeks) and the group was ready for an upgrade. My 2nd dominant male had a "hit" mark on him this morning so I know its time to move up in space. Still hoping to move these guys to an even bigger tank but for now this will have to do. I set up two really nice rock piles, one on each end with some driftwood/plants in the middle for visual breakup.

Moved over a sponge I had seeded along with all the media from the AC110 on their old tank (to a new AC110) and added a Rena XP3. I think the tank is good on filtration.

Everyone was extremely busy tonight vieing for dominance in the tank, females included. I saw my first female fights tonight as I haven't seen any before. I'm sure its just a "positioning" thing. Also, I know I have 3 males in the tank with 8 females. Should I just let things ride and see how they establish the pecking order or should I remove some males?

Thanks for your input and assistance :)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 pm 
Associate Admin

You should be fine with a tank that size. I can't wait to see pictures.

Thomas Jefferson.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 am 

I'll get some pics or a video once I finish the aquascaping and everyone settles in. I also need to hide that sponge filter (I forgot about it when I was doing the rock piles or I could have just left an area for it behind them...oh well...I get so intent on making these rock piles sometimes I forget about the other stuff :lol: )

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 am 

Here's the tank and setup...still don't have that sponge hidden real well but oh well..as usual my tank is dark...black background, black basalt rocks (wish some other rock grew around here). I would like to make the rock pile on the left a little taller but I ran out of rock. So maybe after my next rock picking adventure I will get that done.

And Jim...my males are stunning...really...no other word to describe them.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm 
Associate Admin

The tank looks awesome.
Have they spawned for you?
Once they start they are like rabbits.

Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm 

Not yet Jim but they keep working at it. I noticed today some big pits in the sand, that's the 1st time I've seen those. I think the 55G was a bit small and limiting in that way. There is a lot more room in this tank. They seem very happy.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 am 

Big Jim wrote:
The tank looks awesome.
Have they spawned for you?
Once they start they are like rabbits.

The males were hard at work yesterday in the tank Jim. Pits have been dug and each end of the tank is occupied by a dominant male. The remaining male has found a cave to hide in on one side of the tank.

Watched the male(s) lure a female yesterday to the pits behind the rocks...red tails flashing so fast they were a blur. The two dominant males darting into each other attempts and scaring the female off...she slowly swam to the front of the tank and the third male put on his show (while the other two males continued their standoffs...LOL) luring her into his cave. She remained a while then swam out...again going to one of the dominant males.

If spawning didn't happen yesterday I'm sure it will today...everyone showed up for breakfast but I had a hard time seeing who was eating and who wasn't...possibly lunch/dinner will shed further light.

If they do spawn, what are your recommendations once I have tagged a female as holding...i.e. how long to leave her in the tank before removal...etc...

Thanks Jim :)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Associate Admin

Rufos are some of my best moms. I let them hold in the main tank for a week before I move them to the holding tank. They are great mom's, they watch over they fry for a week. Every-time I walk up to the tank she will pick-up the fry. Once she stops picking up the fry I will move her back to the main tank. I feed her and the fry at the same time after I she releases the fry for the first time.

Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

Thanks Jim ... still not sure if any are holding. I have a couple of females hanging out in quiet areas while some are still hanging out in the center. I'm going to have do a slowwwwww feeding so I can see if one is hanging back and not eating. The boys are still active and chasing the girls and each other.

So next question :?: what do you feed your mom and babies if I might ask?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm 
Associate Admin

Crushed flake food for the babies. I add a couple of big flakes for the mom to eat. When the mom quits grabbing up the babies I move her to the main tank. Rufos are hard to see when the are holding because of the head shape. As the females get a little bigger it gets a little easier to tell when they are holding, but it's still hard. I'm like you when the female dose not eat I take a good look at her. Most of the time they are holding.

Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm 

Watching the activities again today...the female was more than ready...even had her ovipositor (?...is that right) dropped down...and she kept swimming to the back of the rock pile but the male...he was so busy trying to guard his "spot" he hardly even saw her. The third male was totally ready and really seemed to care less about the other males, only about her, watching her, in and out of his cave, but she wasn't having any of it. I know this is just "young" behavior so hopefully before too long they will get it right and in the meantime...I'm watching too :)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 19 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply