Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:23 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Stocking suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:59 pm 

I currently have two tanks I can keep Vics in, and so far have the three species: Pundamilla sp Red Flank (growing out in a 20 gallon), Hap. sp "Red Tail Sheller"(growing out in a 45), and A. latifasciata, 2 m, 6f, in a 75 with mbuna. What other Victorians could possibly be kept with one or two of these groups? I'm hoping to eventually have two or three groups in both my 75 and 140, but I don't want to run an extreme risk of hybridization when so many people have worked so hard to keep these strains as pure as possible.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:59 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Stocking suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 am 
Associate Admin

From my understanding you are running a risk now. I am using mbuna in some of my tanks with Vic's, but I don't mix Vic's. People with more experience than me will have more info here.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 am 

I am not familiar with the sp."red tail sheller" but keep the other two with Astatoreochromis alluaudi, Paralabidochromis sauvagei ( rockkribensis Mwanza Gulf), and at one time Paralabidochromis chilotes ruti in a 500 ltr with no problems. Lots and lots of cover needed tho.

I have found the more species you want to live together the bigger the tank needs to be - 450 litres plus.
And i must admit to keeping larger numbers of the same species (when possible) say 5 pairs rather than a pair or trio.This has not been possible with the "red flanks" but ok with the "red heads" and Igneopinnis.

Hope this helps

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:37 am 

twisted sis,
im far from being an expert, i come from this view point. if your going to breed them out to be cirtian there are no mishaps, single species tanks. but there is also a mis nomer that helps to do the victorian hobby no favors and that would be that you cant mixs vics. even peacocks and mbuna will hybridize. here is the key.
avoid similuare looking species like say c.fulu and dayglow would be high risk for hybrid.
as would say nublis and macrocephala, mnwaza pundamilia and sp 35 tomatoe.would be high risk of hybrid.

on the other hand say your kyoga zebras and your shellers and your red flanks all look so far apart from eachother there is i would say a medium to low risk of hybrid.
things to concider are body shape, color and pattern. another is dominace oft times the dominant species will prohibit the others from spawning. also the female apparance. make shur that the females look difftent.
example would be kyoga flamebacks and blue fire fin are from the same xystichromis genus and the females look very similuare. this would not be a good mix to avoid hybrids. but another example is the alluadi and say nyereri, or matumbi hunters the females look very diffrent
low risk of hybrid.
paul is correct about doing your home work as far as numbers needed for each species and tank size. and big jim is also correct when it come to being 100% cirtian you have no hybrids, single species tanks.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:37 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am 

:P all good advice.

I am of the opinion to encourage more people to keep victorians you must open your minds to mixing with fish the "purest" would frown upon.
I have some strange combinations i wouldn't normally expect to have worked - but they do - so far.
xris has had a lot of experience with achieving communities of victorian cichlids and i think Axel in Germany is trying a mix of species from Makobe to try the theory that 2 similar species from the same location will not hybridise given enough females of each species (my feeling is this will not be the case lake wide)

I think 5 years from now we will have a much better understanding of these fish.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am 

here is a short read that sums up a study
http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/1/177.short

and another short read
http://www.springerlink.com/content/4dk81vxnk5ndlxjx/

and a little longer read on pundamlia species.
http://www.eawag.ch/forschung/fishec/pu ... innSoc.pdf

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 am 

I always look at scientific name and body shape, if they are both quite different I assume it is ok to mix them.
Hence me mixing fulus with hunters.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:09 pm 

great example fern. 8)

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:09 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

Thanks guys

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply