Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:33 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 2      [ 29 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Re: mixing victorian cichlids.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:58 am 

Allen wrote:
Deadman has been removed from this website. His actions on this website and others have required this response. My apologies for not doing it sooner.

I am sorry to see this as his passion for these fish was never questioned but may have got the better of him this time.

You may have noticed that some species have now been down classed on the IUCN list of endangered species,haplochromis piceatus once endangered is now listed as threatened. Because of their very nature institutes do not find these fish good candidates for long term captive maintenance - and to what end are they to be kept never to be reintroduced.
So the few that set aside their tanks to keep and study these fish do it for prosperity, no more.

I keep both mixed tanks of fish that have proven to be a safer choice while other species do prove not be be trusted,the rock dwelling mbipia being the more aggressive and in my experience more likely to hybridise need more careful choices of companions. With little demand for fry here in the UK i seldom keep broods,usually when i want to create a backup group i will keep fry but will have placed the breeders into a species tank if there is danger of cross breeding.

When mixing species tank size makes a big difference with it being successful being bigger the better, for me the minimum for 2/3 species of adults would be 300ltrs+ a long 6 foot >500 ltr made for a much better choice allowing many territories to be established with LOTS of cover.
Here are some examples of what i have kept together.
Astatoreochromis alluaudi 3m 2fand Ptyochromis sp. "salmon"hippo point x8/12 make excellent companions, i guess you may add a Labrochromis or Lipochromis to this mix as i hope to do (opinions please) malawi's i have kept haps - fryeri and protomelas with these with few problems

Neochromis omnicaeruleus (Makobe) and Haplochromis sp."Entebbe" males only as i keep the female entebbe's apart to gain some weight from constant spawning. I introduce a male to the female group of entebbe's when i want some fry. VERY active tank! also a few malawi's - acei,salousi, elongatus

Paralabidochromis sauvagei (Mwanza Gulf),Astatotilapia latifasciata,Paralabidochromis chilotes and several Pundamilia (1 at a time) in a 500 ltr with no problems.

Species i have had issues with are Neochromis omnicaeruleus (Kunene), a very different fish to the Makobe strain and seem to breed with everything,
Haplochromis sp."bukavu" too little info on these but seem ok with young 2cm acei growing on.

I have had issues with species only tanks with males constantly harassing the females that breed far too often and far too young, never reach a good size and die far too prematurely. I am sure many will disagree but thought i'd add my experiences.

Paul

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:58 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 am 

THANK YOU!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
Veteran Member

tr6 wrote:
but I have other lakes to see first, including some of the obscure lake visits with Heiko.

Man, that is one of my dreams there, finding a new Cichlid in a lake most don't even know exists.

As for the Dman issue, I don't think mixing species is impossible, but I do think he seemed to be making it out to be more generally acceptable with all species than it actually is probably in an attempt to boost his sales, something I have noticed before from him. I get it, but I think he would do better to focus on preservation and true education and less on his sales. He clearly has enough knowledge to be an asset to this forum, and has been at times. He seems to be selling more vics than anyone else on this forum, so it's too bad he can't just be content.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 pm 
Associate Admin

Me wrote:
tr6 wrote:
but I have other lakes to see first, including some of the obscure lake visits with Heiko.

Man, that is one of my dreams there, finding a new Cichlid in a lake most don't even know exists.

yes, there are many lakes in the Victoria basin, so there are more cichlids to be discovered there, and other places in the world.

Heiko showed me a very cool cichlid he discovered In Lake Fwa in the Congo, Thoracochromis callichromis.
So Im pleased to get to travel with him hopefully this year.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:17 am 
Veteran Member

presuming this is the correct fish http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.de/ti ... hromis.htm that is a cool Cichlid indeed. I've been scouring the local water ways with my eyes here for cichlids, so far just Koi. I did a little online research though and there are quite a few interesting Cichlids in the local water ways. Non are native as far as I can tell though, but it would still be fun to net some. Who knows maybe I can find a native unknown Japanese Cichlid. Of course I am sure there would be Japanese that have known of the fish for ages just like the Cielocamph (I have no idea how to spell that one).

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:17 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 am 
I think it's, "coelacanth."

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 am 
Veteran Member

Thanks, and you are right,here's a pic link just for fun http://mariekeesther.comuf.com/Images/11181368.jpg

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:37 am 
Me wrote:
Thanks, and you are right,here's a pic link just for fun http://mariekeesther.comuf.com/Images/11181368.jpg

That's probably the best picture of one I've seen. Strange and beautiful, aren't they?

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:37 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
Administrator

For the record, Deadman was not removed for this topic. Honestly this topic had nothing to do with my decision.

www.frontosa.com

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:34 pm 

dman brought up a good topic, but had other issues going on.

but what ever is talked about here is opinion. you can keep your fish however you want. and most of us here are not trying to make money. sure it is nice to get a little bit here and there to help pay for some food and supplies but nothing you have to report on your taxes.

i know several people i trade fish with and send fish back and forth. allen and jim are some of those people. they send and trade fish with me and ed quite often. i like this site a lot and the people on it. i hope it brings more attention to the vics in the hobby and conservation as a whole. mother nature and human development are going to clash and lots of plants and animals are going to suffer. we need to take better care of our planet for ourselves and future generations.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:34 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 pm 
Associate Admin

Me wrote:
presuming this is the correct fish http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.de/ti ... hromis.htm that is a cool Cichlid indeed. I've been scouring the local water ways with my eyes here for cichlids, so far just Koi. I did a little online research though and there are quite a few interesting Cichlids in the local water ways. Non are native as far as I can tell though, but it would still be fun to net some. Who knows maybe I can find a native unknown Japanese Cichlid. Of course I am sure there would be Japanese that have known of the fish for ages just like the Cielocamph (I have no idea how to spell that one).

There are no Cichlids east of India(which has 3 endemic species).

Due to the earthquake there are now alot of species released in Japanese waterways. Owners did not know what to do with them. Most will not survive, as it gets very cold in Japan during the winter. Maybe if some Uruguay cichlids were released they would be able to make it.
Not sure if enough Uruguay cichlids have been imported yet to actually set up and breed there though.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 pm 
Veteran Member

It seems there has been a long standing tradition of releasing Cichlids and other fish in the wild in Japan. Here is a list of the freshwater fish of Japan, not sure if it is complete, but there are about a dozen non native Cichlids listed, about half of them being Tilapia. Not sure why but all of the photos no seem to be pulling up 404 error. Some of the Tilapia were surprisingly beautiful when I looked in the past. http://fish.mongabay.com/data/Japan.htm Any requests? :P

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:37 pm 
Veteran Member

dre_day wrote:
. mother nature and human development are going to clash and lots of plants and animals are going to suffer. we need to take better care of our planet for ourselves and future generations.

Well said.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 pm 
Veteran Member

Alowishus wrote:
Me wrote:

That's probably the best picture of one I've seen. Strange and beautiful, aren't they?

Yeah, I tried to pick a pic that really showed off their anatomy. For an ancient fish it sure does have allot going on.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 2      [ 29 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply