Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Mixing Vic species
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 am 

Hey guy's , I'm trying to squeeze a few more Vic species in to my fish room . So I need to combine some spieces to make room . What do ya think on these mixes ? Their temperaments are the same and I can tell them apart . Enterochromis paropius Broken Bar and Haplochromis thereuterion in one tank . Harpagochromis sp. "orange rock hunter" and Pyxichromis orthostoma in another . And Haplochromis sp. "Entebbe" and Paralabidochromis chilotes (Zue Island) in the 240g . Any thoughts on cross breading or aggression ? Thanks Jimmy

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Mixing Vic species
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 am 

well i know most will say not to mix at the risk of cross breeding. but that is to be absolutely sure they will not.

In my experience i have almost always mixed african species together. But i think you are on the right track to do it right. the most important key is to make sure the females and males look different enough to avoid the crossing.

Also from what i have been reading in different articles is that females usually make the choice over the male they want to breed with, so having even ratios helps them choose the same species. Also they can tell their own species apart by smell as well. The only time i have had crossbreeding is in a display tank that had rouge males and rouge females.

The urge to reproduce is always going to be there so make sure you give them the right choices for success. :D

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm 
Associate Admin

Its not just a matter of cross breeding.

Agressive species may keep the passive species from breeding at all.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:26 pm 

Hey guy's I put the Harpagochromis sp. "orange rock hunter" and Pyxichromis orthostoma together yesterday . There were no issues , the rock hunters calmed down and now come out of the rocks ! When I put the Haplochromis sp. "Entebbe" and Paralabidochromis chilotes (Zue Island) together . The Entebbe males didn't take the newcomers very well . I had to pull them out after 1 hour so they didn't get killed . I think that the color of the males were to close . So I put the Paralabidochromis chilotes in my 210g with my Neochromis omnicaeruleus (Ruti) and there were no issues .

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:26 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm 
Associate Admin

I had my Paralabidochromis chilotes "ruti" in with my Neochromis omnicaeruleus "makobe" and the Neo's bullied the bigger chilotes.

So at least in my case, the chilotes "ruti" are super rare in this country, and the neo's "makobe" are not, so i gave the chilotes their own tank, and the neo's are now with phenochilus and my flourescent piebalds.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am 

tr6 wrote:
I had my Paralabidochromis chilotes "ruti" in with my Neochromis omnicaeruleus "makobe" and the Neo's bullied the bigger chilotes.

So at least in my case, the chilotes "ruti" are super rare in this country, and the neo's "makobe" are not, so i gave the chilotes their own tank, and the neo's are now with phenochilus and my flourescent piebalds.

I share this experience,but the blotched neochromis were chased by the dominant male chilotes ruti and may because of the similar pattern to the chilotes females.
Entebbes i have kept with neochromis omni makobe with few issues but a friend lost entebbe's in this same mix ? i now keep them with acei and salousi from Malawi

I have learnt when mixing species like this do so in larger numbers,in a larger tank and a whole lot more decor, then still grow any fry on to a size to see any hybrids before distributing.
For me when i have a couple of broods i do not wish to save any more for quite some time so this sort of mix suits me fine.

Last edited by Paul B on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:32 am 

Am interested in seeing how the Harpagochromis sp. "orange rock hunter" and Pyxichromis orthostoma pans out.
I am thinking of a mix of paedophages Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi hunter" and Lipochromis melanopterus with a dither fish to feed from ???

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:32 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm 
Dedicated Member

Lipochromis melanopterus were suggested to me as tank mates with the orange rock hunters by an esteemed member of haplochromis dot org.
I have kept a much larger ORH male with my P. chilotes Zue Island which have a similar male color with no aggression issues. Their behavior are totally different, but I suspect the chilotes breeding is being interrupted.
My experience has been that any of the fulu, sp. 44, obliquidens as well as Rubys will swarm the much larger paedophages. P. chilotes are fry eaters and fit the bill. Feeding from the dithers can get pretty ugly fast as they don't kill just to eat.
I have been told by the same gentleman noted above that certain Paralabidochromis do well together, chess board and non chess boards....

Glad to see the P. chilotes Zue Island getting spread around so fast. I understand they are all females, hehe.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:31 am 

I am meeting with some esteemed members of haplochromis dot org next weekend, i know from previous visits that some have successfully maintained groups of vics together for many years :wink:

at this present time i have chilotes ruti, zue and makobe, some are coming across the channel with me :P

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:31 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply