Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:01 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Back into the hobby with my new colonies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 am 

So I am back into victoria cichlids after taking a break for a few years after moving and filling my tanks. I am recieving a large colony of 25 fry, the Victorian snail eating Astatoreochromis alluaudi. I am also recieving Pundamilia nyererei Mwanza's F2. These are coming from Joe's wild Mwanza's he recieved in 2007 which were caught by fish hooks and imported to him. Believe there are still a few available at califroniacichlids.com if anyone wants to get some nice F2 before it's too late. I'm recieving 2 males and 6 females which he hand picked for me and are ready for their first breed. :D Now if I can find some wild electric yellow lion's cove and I'll be set for now.

Think I'll start my Pundamilia in my 125 for now. They have a ton of room so I may need to find some tank companions for them soon. They are 2" long. Placing my fry in my 55 until they get some size to them before I move them to a large tank. Both tanks have good cichlid rocks with caves everywhere to hide in. My 55 has play sand substrate and my 125 has gravel which I will turn into crushed coral later. My wife wants to keep the gravel in there, which is fine because of all the great flat rocks and caves for them to play in. Just want sand so they can be more natural and sift through it. Anyways that's my start andI'll probly get a gold nugget pleco to add to my 125 when my good algae is a bit more established. Both tanks ph about 7.9 with temps at 80 F which should be about perfect for now. I'll drop it to 78 when they get a bit more comfortable. My 125 is set in my room which will be nice to watch at night before bed. The pump and bubbles just put me to sleep, it's so nice. Using a fluval 404 pump in my 125 with 2 sponge filters. Anyways that's my restart and I should be recieving them today or tomorrow. I can't wait to see the little guys.

When my Alluaudi get some size to them I may try placing a few with my Pundamilia since they are so different in shape and color. Just hesitant because I know Pundamilia with breed with nearly anything that swims. But it may work great and make the tank less shy as I know the Mwanza's have a ton of places to hide. Any thoughts with combining the two later or advice for this?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Back into the hobby with my new colonies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am 

glad to see you getting back into them. got some good species there. I was part of getting some of the wilds from Old world and the red on them was awesome. :mrgreen:

Mike

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am 

My little Alluaudi made the trip and I now have them here in Utah. Only two DOA and 23 survived and are eating just fine. :D I felt like a dad waiting for his little baby I was so nervous. Now that they are here, I can settle down. :lol: They are still fry so I have them in a breeding net so they don't get sucked up into the filter. I just got to say thanks to KevinB for making this possible. The packaging was great and there was nothing we could do about the DOA because it took my post office a day and a half to go 56 miles... In any case I am extremely happy and my kids are overjoyed watching them. :D

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm 
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard, sounds like you were prepared for these fish.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm 

More like impatiently waiting for them. My 125 is still empty, but my nyererei should be here tomorrow too. :D

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 am 

My Pundamilia finally arrived and great condition. Thinking of getting some Lion's Cove electric yellow from Dave's rare fish and Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island ''Iceberg''. These will all go in my 125 gallon and are all 1.5" long. I have had electric yellow before just not Lion's cove, but I know their temperment is mellow. I have never had Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island ''Iceberg'' and have been told they aren't too agressive and should be okay with this mix. What do you all think? I'll top it off with a gold nugget pleco and I'll toss some snails in with my alluaudi.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am 
Utahvictorias wrote:
I'll toss some snails in with my alluaudi.

They'll eat the snails, won't they? Or is that why you're going to add them?

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm 

Yeah, they will clear a tank of snails and this should be fun watching them hunt the poor guys. Most folks want to get rid of the snails and in this case I actually want them. :lol: When snails are added, they will grow teeth if it becomes part of their diet, so always keep that in mind if you want to mix in other cichlids.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm 
Veteran Member

I had a Sciaenochromis fryeri take out one of my Christmas fulu females, as well as some convicts, granted she was 4+ inches, but still might be worth knowning.. I also caught mine hiding under substrate a couple times, not sure if it was for ambush, or just hiding, but these fish are clever and predatory.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 pm 

Thanks Me, that's worth knowing since I was going to buy some Freyeri. Bought 10 F2 Lion's Cove Electric Yellow though. They are the same size as my Mwanza about 2", and one of my Mwanza are already displaying color and dominace over the tank. He is really showing off for the females and I can tell he's going to be a great male.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 am 
Veteran Member

Cool. I really liked that Freyeri, but she was an assassin. Finally had to throw her in my WC frontosa tank, but she was too snoopy during a spawn or maybe trying to snatch some eggs and met her end.

Post some pics when you have a chance, It's so cool to see other peoples set ups and how the vics look in different situations.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:14 pm 

Got off the phone with Jim and learned that the breeders in Germany say the Alluaudi can safely be placed with most other victorian cichlids. I'll have to experiment when my fry get much bigger. :wink:

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:14 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply