Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 16 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Expanding my tank collection...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:55 pm 

Heya guys, my fulus are growing like weeds. I think so far I can see that two are male at least. Some from my batch of eleven are considerably smaller than the largest. So still not sure as to what I have male/female ratio.

I am happy just bought a 30 gallon full setup and stand and a lone 10 gallon for $40.00. I am just trying to make sure I have plenty of tank space when it's baby time. I was thinking and correct me if this is a bad idea please: Perhaps I could divide the 10 gallon tanks I have into halves for little maternity wards. Two moms per tank, I may seem to be jumping the gun but I did read someones post who had eight females of one species holding simultaneously. I just don't want that to happento me and not have room. I have three smaller tanks 3 to 5 gallons each. Right now I have two 10 gallons for maternity tanks, and a 30 for a grow out. My colony is in a 55.

I have been trying to read as many old posts as I have time for so I do not repeat old questions. Thanks alot for the Info guys.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:55 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:03 pm 

Good way to start, I suggest you get another 55gal and as soon you Identify your males split them up on the two 55gals then make two groups with your females, I would keep your ten gals for the females alone, dont use dividers you want the females to stay as calm and with no stress, the 30 gal for now get it running and when your ready to collect the fry from the 10gals thats where the fry goes for the time being, your 5gals keep them running for hospital tanks in the event of anything, and PS, EVERY ONE IS GONA ENJOY THIS, Welcome to the YOUR OUT OF ROOM ALREADY GET READY TO START MAKING ROOM FOR MORE TANKS AND SPACE FOR YOUR FISH, welcome and have a great journey with fish,

Sam

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:03 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Expanding my tank collection...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 pm 
Veteran Member

Lol, yep tanks can add up quickly. Stripping the females of their eggs at week three can save you some tank space though. In my case my fulu hold very well in community tanks or fulu only tanks. As soon as the bulge under their chin is dark almost black, this is when it's time to strip. That being said it is nice to watch the mothers release naturally, so if you want that experience it's perfectly understandable, and you are on the right track with multiple tanks. If you had non transparent acrylic dividers you could get away with splitting the tens.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm 

Hehe what have I gotten myself into? :)

Well I do have 2 55 gallons but one is what I call my GF's fruity fish tank. Full od mollys, fancy guppies, black neon tetras, regular neon tetras, red fin tetras, and some fat orange yellow fish I forget what they are. My 3rd 55 gallon bled to death when I was on vacation last year taking 23 fish with it. :(

I will keep an eye out for more low to no cost tanks. Kind of running out of space and got a few critters to give away, 30 gallon came with a pleco and 2 nice sized goldfish. 10 gallon came with a sun turtle. Need to find them homes, I've got time they range in size from .75 to 1.25 so I think I got a few months before I have to really worry.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm 
Veteran Member

you do have some time. You may get a spawn in a month or so, but usually the first is only a few if she even holds full term. With my fulu the first spawn for each female seems to be a 50/50 shot at her holding. After that they tend to be very good holders, but I know some members are not so lucky. If I may make a suggestion, try to get Acrylic tanks in the future. They are much longer lasting, and easier to carry. I can carry a 55 acrylic with one hand. Craigslist is an excellent source for cheap tanks. Depending on how popular it is in your area you may have to wait awhile, but nice tanks will roll through. It's like fishing, internet style.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:12 pm 

Cool, I will keep an eye out on Craigslist. There were over $100 in decor, caves, castle nice things for little cichlids to explore. I will watch for the weekend yardsale items. Here yardsale stuff is Fri-Sunday, and it is easy to swoop in Friday afternoon and get good deals. Because noone goes on Friday...

Still trying to get rid of these critters, no luck so far...

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:12 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 am 

I now have my second 55 gallon free, turned the 30 into a community tank and think after my pleco scours the glass for me going to fill it with live plants and use it for a grow out tank. Being that fulus eat dead plant matter I think that will be nice for them to grow in. I want to do as suggested and split my breeders into two 55's but I really don't have the space or cash for expansion right now. Will hopefully aquire more tank space in the Spring...

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 am 
Veteran Member

1 55 will still get you plenty of fry ;)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 am 

I tend to use the same 10g for holding moms and fry till the fry get too large for new fro to go in. Like my sp44 fry tank has had at least 5 holding females run through it. Holding females tend to leave other fry alone. Java moss is a very very good thing to have in a fry tank, it gives nice cover and helps the water quality some.
Just my 2 cents.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 pm 
Associate Admin

A 55 here, a 30 here, a 60 here, is how it starts. Then the wife say consolidate them to one room. MTS is what it is call. Before you know it you will have a fish room like this.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 am 

Jim, how many tanks do you have running now?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 am 
Associate Admin

I have 57 tanks in all running now. I have 12 in the house, and 45 out in the garage. The 12 in the house 11 are in one room. I have 1 show tank in the living room. I have MTS bad.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:26 am 

Well now I don't feel so bad with my 34 tanks running :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:26 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:48 pm 
Veteran Member

I only have a scant 13 :wink:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:48 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 pm 

I officially have tank envy... I only have my 6. I am moving in a few weeks and have a lot to get done at the new place before I can move my tanks.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 16 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply