Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: another quake
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am 
Veteran Member

I couldn't sleep and came downstairs to use the computer and the worst earthquake since the big one just hit at 7.4 on the same coast. Poor people. But hopefully they will all get out safe and maybe the fear will finally get them the F away from those reactors. I've been very happy to see some locals finally speaking up about the nuclear industry and their governments inept response. I guess it's more ironic than funny, but we've been having heavy winds shake our house all day and I joked with my wife before earlier we wouldn't know the difference between wind or a quake. Definitely wasn't sure at first, but it became clear after 10 seconds, and it last over a minute I think.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: another quake
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm 
Associate Admin

I'm sorry but I think it's time to get you and your family out of Japan. Take care of yourself.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am 

Ya it does sound like its time to come home!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm 
Veteran Member

I appreciate your concern, we are discussing the future almost daily. We are discussing moving either south or to the far far north island, both would put us about 300 miles from the nuclear BS. We are pretty safe from tsunami's where we are at about 30 meters above sea level with a 60 meter hill to climb within 2 mins running distance of here. We are 15 or 20 miles inland too. The quakes have all been off the coast 140 miles from here except a few very small ones. We are only buying bottled water from select sources, and eating food from select sources. Radiation levels are very low where we are but still we don't let rain touch us, wear respirators and avoid going out when the wind comes from the wrong direction. My home state of Washington is overdue for the same size quake that devastated the coast here in march, and also has reactors with troubled history built directly on fault lines just like cali and many parts of the US, so I don't know how much better it is moving back there considering things have been stirring there for the last decade including mt st helens recent eruptions and the swelling of mt rainer. I wouldn't doubt that this quake here stirred the zone over there even more. Of course any day could change things for us, but for now the best that we can do is save money so we can afford to move anywhere and have some cushion while we look for new jobs.

Really really thanks for your concern though, it is greatly appreciated !

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 pm 

See that's why I like Florida! All we have is hurricanes and you can get ready for them.
Be safe bro!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:32 pm 

Small random fact, not useful in Texas, but if an earthquake hits, you should lay or sit beside and object that if the roof falls down will still leave a void of space around your body. They've found that the "drop and cover" is almost guaranteed to get you killed, as is standing in a doorway. I think it was called "the triangle of life" or something if you want to research it. Was actually developed and tested by head of teh UN search and rescue, or emergency response team.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:32 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 am 
Veteran Member

because of the placement and very small size of japanese bathrooms this is what they say is usually the safest place here, I thought this before my wife said so. It is about 3ft x 2 1/2 of walls, surrounded by a hallway wall, and a wall at the end of the hallway that t's at one of the bathroom walls. not to mention the stairs run on top of the bathroom. Stairs are often the last thing standing after many natural disasters. I am sure something could take out this safe room, but I feel safer there than out in the street with the mess of wires overhead in these parts. no mirror btw. It's also the best shielded spot from radiation, and with water (yes gross toilet water), but if you had to hold out for a week or two, that water could be the difference between life and death.

FYI, I have read several sources claiming there are missing fuel rods from the plant after the explosion, and that they are well aware of this and bulldozing over them. After watching several of the explosions over and over I believe rods can be seen spinning like batons and then exploding or falling fast to earth, many flying out towards the ocean. Shady bastards. His love for nuclear is my biggest issue with Obama, and his attempt to suppress the grave reality of this and the BP oil spill are making me want to vote for a non main stream party next time (not the tea party).

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:23 am 
Associate Admin

Me wrote:
Shady bastards. His love for nuclear is my biggest issue with Obama, and his attempt to suppress the grave reality of this and the BP oil spill are making me want to vote for a non main stream party next time (not the tea party).

Tod now we don't want to go there. :D

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:23 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
Veteran Member

:lol:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply