Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 15 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Japan update
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 pm 
Veteran Member

Hi there, well me and the misses got our radiometer/dosimeter last week. We had to wait a while because we wanted to get a specific one from one of the best companies out there. We are in debt to my family for this, and will be paying them back. Not a cheap thing, but with things being what they are it felt necessary.

So here's what I have found so far.

1) Radiation levels in the general Tokyo area are double that which are being reported by the government and main media. There is one good news channel which explains why. All of the official measurement devices which the government is reporting on are placed on the tallest buildings in Tokyo! Yes that's right they are making sure that high flying birds are safe, but ignoring the air which the general populace actually breathes. The actual levels are between .10 and .15 Micro Sievert per hour. This is consistent with readings from others with personal dosimeters in Tokyo. This is roughly equal to 1 Milli Sievert per year. Which is ironically what the annual dose limit was for residence before Fukushima. After which point they raised it to 20 Milli Sievert per year. Haha.

2) digging about 5cm deep into the soil about 10 miles from my home the level rose to .18 Micro Sievert per hour, and when I dug about 10cm deep it went above .20 Micro Sievert per hour. It was still rising but mosquito's started attacking us so we left since this was just the first soil test and I have plenty of time to check that. What is interesting here is that 5cm is said to be the depth of which the radiation extends into the soil, and removing this 5cm would make the soil safe around the Fukushima area. Considering my test was roughly 150 miles from Fukushima and the radiation has managed to sink at least 10 cm into it, I find it very very hard to believe it would not have penetrated at least as deep in Fukushima and surrounding areas. Now for a little good news. I did a similar test in my back yard today while air levels were .12 Micro Sieverts per hour, and from 0 to 20cm the level never rose above .13 Micro Sieverts per hour. I stopped digging when I hit clay at about 6 inches, since it seems doubtful much radiation would get past the clay at this point. Though it is worth pointing our at the 6 inch depth the .13 number remained constant. Perhaps it was reading the soil above the Dosimeter, I really can't say.

3) While visiting a hospital I was amazed to see huge spikes two times. Me and my wife did some exploring and the main waiting room was directly over the CT rooms. I cannot say what the maximum level people in the waiting room were getting when the CT machines were operating was because I had the Dosimeter in my pocket, since there is a no cell phone use rule in the hospital and it looks just like a phone. It was on vibrate mode, so each time it started going crazy I would pull it out and check and both times it was well above 4.5 Micro Sieverts per hour. I am guessing it was actually much higher at it's peak since it was going crazy in my pocket (hold jokes). Anyways, I thought this was very creepy since we were only there about 15 minutes and had two of these spike, Though it did tell me one important thing. My dosimeter really detects high levels!

4) So for the time being yes the levels are high, and though overall air levels are slightly higher near my home than some parts of Tokyo, the low levels in the soil give me some hope that the rain is fairly contamination free in our neck of the woods, and also radioactive dust probably missed us during the first few weeks. There is a hill near bye that is consistently around .15 Micro Sieverts which is about .4 higher than the average outside my home, so I plan on taking my shovel up there next and have a look to see if maybe it caught some dust. I am being fairly careful btw. not wearing a full bunny suit, but protecting my lungs and skin as much as possible. Plus only digging after heavy rain fall to keep dust from flying.

You can check out the model I have here if curious. http://www.ecotest.ua/terra_new/index.php?lang=en

It's pretty snazzy, and looks like a cell phone so goes fairly unnoticed since half the people in Tokyo walk around staring at phones as they text or play games anyways. Ecotest also known as Ecotect is a Ukraine company, and as one might imagine there are very high standards for dosimeters in this part of the world. This is the top of the line personal detector and has the ability to log results on the computer. In the near future I hope to be providing this info to http://www.idealist.ws to help keep the public informed as they have already expressed interest in my findings.

Keeping it real in the fallout zone :cheers:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Japan update
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 am 
Dedicated Member

Being a former radiation worker I realized when the announcement was made that the US moved a warship due to a neutron beam that there was a core meltdown and breach of containment... that is the only way that could happen; plutonium and/or uranium reacting without containment in the open air. This started right after the explosion in reactor #3 the uranium/plutonium fuel machine (MOX), 3 days after the earth quake and tsunami. http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/80539.html
The following weeks, residents of the West Coast USA were inhaling 10 hot particles a day.... and the government chose to hide this when some very simple steps could protect those informed. Dastardly if you ask me...
Hope you and your family are taking care, filtering your water, filtering your milk and buying leafy greens from greenhouses.... be careful and monitor your radiometer/dosimeter (what has replaced a Geiger counter) as the government serves business interests and will likely not inform the public of any large radiation releases until it is too late to do anything about it.
The effect is cu mu lative, increasing in quantity, or degree, by exposure,so guard your children carefully. How weird... I had to put spaces in ******** or I got all asterisks..??
The radiation causes the damage, but the emitting particle is the hazard. The intensity of the radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the emitter. You can always move farther away from the contaminated soil, particles etc. or block the radiation with garments, concrete walls heavy dense things (depending on the particle), but once the emitter is in your body, that is an entirely different thing. The real danger is ingesting hot particles (emitters), as once that happens, you can not remove the particle and particle is in direct contact with you tissue emitting various radiation (depending on the particle).

The government standards are all about the radiation and what causes illness or death in a certain short amount of time (FDA). They do not concern themselves with ingesting emitters and what damage it causes... well the EPA is supposed to, but political pressure for big business has watered down any "cu mu lative effect" regulation and reporting.
Ironically, the EPA had already administratively approved an internal rule that would raise the level at which it was required by law to report the level and keep a record of it, by one thousand fold. It remains to be seen if they will implement it, but a bad sign is that they stopped daily reporting of the levels in milk, water supplies and air for the US (yes the emitting particles made it to the US, and yes it is in the milk, water and was in the air and maybe still is, who knows with out a dosimeter), as radiation levels had declined a bit, but not below the levels required to report it. They have moved from daily monitoring to quarterly (every three months). Not inspiring....

BTW, Jane's has a great writeup on that dosimeter. http://articles.janes.com/articles/Jane ... raine.html
MKS-05 “TERRA” dosimeter-radiometer looks to be selling at about $500 here in the states. Here is one with a low starting bid on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dosimeter-Radiomete ... 3a6702c920

Allen

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:17 am 
Veteran Member

Thanks for saying all of the stuff I am getting tired of repeating TeknikAl ;) All true. We have every right by national and international laws to hold those who have withheld information on this event accountable, and throw their asses in jail. I think it is high time the American people take the reigns of their rouge government. The BP spill and lack of control should have been the wake up call. I shake my head asking myself "if a massive oil spill and a massive 4 core MELT THROUGH!!!!!!! nuclear disaster with winds carrying all that vaporized plutonium as well as many many other nasty nuclear elements directly to America is not enough to wake the sleeping babies up, what will be enough???!!!" Many Americans can talk ******** about the middle east till they are blue in the face, but last I check Libyans had the courage to stand up to their oppressive dangerous government. The only thing that allowed natzi germany to exist was good people to sleep through the changes that brought it about. When corporations and not people make law it is time to A) stop giving money to these corporations... ie stop buying crap. B) March on Washington and show the world that America's spirit did not die in the 60's and C) Demand full accountability and public hearings D) and D is most important, reinstate the law which states all network broadcast stations must carry real news. In case you do not know There used to be a law that to have a broadcast license you must carry unbiased truthful news. Networks had to supply real news often at a financial loss, but was considered part of the price to operate. Now all of the news including PBS is controlled by corporations. This is why the fact that 4 Nuclear cores melted through (the worst possible kind of nuclear accident x4) is not common knowledge in America, and why the fact that Plutonium does not simply fall to the ground in this type of event, and that thousands of miles of ocean does not protect the US from this kind of accident is not common knowledge in America. If you are observant you will see the contradictions. "Plutonium is too heavy and will fall in the ocean from rain before reaching the US" "The jet stream which would carry any radiation to the US is too high to hit most of the west coast". Hmmmm a High jet stream above the clouds that would rain out plutonium carrying heavy elements like plutonium oxide (bonds with oxygen) which is heavier than air and does SLOWLY fall out of the jet stream... hmmmm. Anyone want a little more science behind their news????

Sorry, but I am pissed. This is environmental terrorism. No middle eastern people have ever committed genocide on this scale. No official organization is even checking for plutonium. And there are gaps in the radiation network on the west coast large enough to drive a small country through. San francisco got hit hard, so did Richland Washington. However the majority hit and is hitting the mid west because of that Jet stream that will Protect the west coast. funny how they just pretend there isn't 5000 miles of US between the west and east. This stuff showed up in Norway last month, and shortly after their public monitoring site went offline.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:17 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm 
Dedicated Member

I really don't want to do the political rant on a fish site, I save it for Facebook, lol!!
I did notice the algorithm for spam, censors out as spam several election integrity web sites URLs when I try to post them there, so I will mention them here. Apparently it is not voter fraud we should be afraid of.
First is Democracy's Gold Standard: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7417
Bradblog on WI election electronic voting in general http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8549
seems a bit left, but has facts newspapers won't touch.
Black Box Voting election integrity. http://www.blackboxvoting.org/
Documents well the "regularities" of voter suppression, vote tampering, rigging, miss reporting, fraud, general mistakes and such...
Listen to this. It says it all.=>
http://youtu.be/KAR9_m1IPJc

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm 
Veteran Member

Great links, I am guessing you like Thom Hartmann ;)

For what it's worth I am not really trying to be political at this point, I just feel I am being very realistic. It's painfully clear that a very small group of greedy A-holes are destroying peoples lives and our only World for a fantasy world called "The Economy", or perhaps better said "Their Economy".

Take all of the money away and see who stays to help out in the real world. I'm done being patient in hopes of enlightenment coming to the greedy, and welcome the day that the rest of the world says the same thing in unison.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 pm 
Veteran Member

BTW teknikAL, to respond to some of your earlier comments, me and my wife are buying water, and everything we consume from either the most western parts of Japan or from other countries all together. We wear masks, and carry umbrellas anytime there is the slightest chance of rain. On a product note, my family sent me some bumblebee tuna to try and give me some non tainted food. On intuition I contacted Bumblebee and asked them if any of there tuna was coming from the affected waters of Japan. Like politicians they told me everything but the answer. In essence they simply said monitoring has not yet shown a danger to the waters in Japan or the tuna industry. So, be careful folks, and think very carefully about where your food comes from, and where the food for your food comes from.

As for our radiation detector, yep it's a good one ;) Here's a bit of strangeness though. We were on a bus we usually don't take the other day, and shortly after getting on the bus I pulled the detector out of my backpack and watched it climb quickly from .10 uSv to .35, I switched it to Beta detection which is usually nothing more than .002 with a preset alarm at .04. Well it climbed to .06, and after switching back to the main channel which I believe is gamma xray, it rose to .7 uSv per hour also setting off it's preset alarm. My wife was able to make it go down by placing it near the window, we were joking early on that it was the two old guys sitting in front of us, but each time I would place it near the back of their seat it would quickly climb. I then moved to another seat but not far from these guys and it only went down slightly. Then one of the old guys left the bus and it steadily went down to .20 by the time we left the bus several minutes later, and soon after being outside went down to .13 which is average for this area. So I can only imagine a few possibilities, One being this was complete coincidence and the radiation was from us passing through a hot spot, two the old man was either a Fukushima worker or Hiroshima survivor, or three he was a terrorist carrying some sort of radioactive matter. I am sure there are other possibilities and maybe you can actually help me out on this one teknikAL. Is it even possible for a living person to release these levels of radiation? Btw on our return trip we traveled the same way and never had any spikes.

weirdness in the fallout zone.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 am 
Dedicated Member

I'll start off by saying that most of my knowledge of nuclear science comes from doing it rather than book learnin'. While I have a degree in Computer Science and a math minor, I started studying Electrical Engineering and took lots of physics. I operated a sub-atomic particle detector and worked next to the top physicists and nuclear scientists in the world. So, I have the understanding, but not the details at the tip of my tongue.
You mention the types of radiation you measured... let me add this from Wikipedia, and it appears correct: "All ionizing radiation causes similar damage at a cellular level, but because rays of alpha particles and beta particles are relatively non-penetrating, external exposure to them causes only localized damage, e.g. radiation burns to the skin. Gamma rays and neutrons are more penetrating, causing diffuse damage throughout the body (e.g. radiation sickness), increasing incidence of cancer rather than burns.
External radiation exposure should also be distinguished from internal exposure, due to ingested or inhaled radioactive substances, which, depending on the substance's chemical nature, can produce both diffuse and localized internal damage. The most biological damaging forms of gamma radiation occur in the gamma ray window, between 3 and 10 MeV, with higher energy gamma rays being less harmful because the body is relatively transparent to them." ~ Wikipedia emphasis added
Eliminate the obvious, stuff like background: no TV, X-ray machine (cathode tube) very near, no MRI, refined radioactive elements etc. then you are likely seeing radioactive dust on the old guys clothes. Did you check the seats after they left? I would think if they had ingested that much radiation from the WWII bomb blasts, they would be dead, especially Beta emitters.
So, off the top of my head I can think of a handful of primary possible emitters produced at Fukushima, there are all sorts of radionuclides produced in the decay chain. There are also radionuclides produced when many non radioactive elements in building materials and equipment in the reactors as they come in contact with the radiation produced. As you are finding out, there are plenty of background emitters, like MRI, TV (old style tube), some natural stuff with trace radioactive elements: granite rock, different shale formations, some gypsum, paint, crude oil etc. out there.
Check this link to neutron decay from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_emission ; As you can see most of the beta emitters are also present in the Fukushima decay chain: H, He, Li, B, F, Na; and all have half lives of less than one day... They were likely traveling from a place of greater fallout and did not have protective clothes to shed, nor washed their clothes nor showered when they left. Like I said before, easy steps to protect.... use that dosimeter. Stay as far south west as possible, check all of your food with the dosimeter. You have at least a year of this ahead of you.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 502a1.html

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:38 am 
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info and Links, that's quite a background you have there. I am impressed. My grandfather worked as an insulator at one of Washington states now shut down plants and it lead to his death, so I take this stuff pretty seriously. Funny enough I was just reading up on Beta and Gamma earlier today because of the old guy and the readings. I did check from the same seat after he left and the other old man remained, the levels dropped significantly from .7+ uSv per hour to about .4 and from .06 on the Beta scale which uses 10 cubed over cm squared .min (if that makes any sense) to something like .02, and both levels were still steadily dropping till the moment we left our seats, and then dropped much faster as we exited the bus. So it did seem to be just the one old man, but he did seem to leave some contamination in the bus. I really wanted to just ask him straight out what was up, but obviously this could not go over so well, even though I feel the guy should know he is receiving dangerous levels of radiation from something, not to mention exposing others. I ride the trains and buses many times each week, and this is the first time I have had a notable rise from an individual, and the highest levels I have seen period short of when we were above the MRI machines in the hospital, but the hospital spikes lasted seconds not 20 minutes.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:38 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Dedicated Member

This is an informative article posting statistics that show already a 35% increase in deaths of children less than 1 year old on the West Coast of the US during the ten weeks after Fukushima disaster:

"The recent CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report indicates that eight cities in the northwest U.S. (Boise ID, Seattle WA, Portland OR, plus the northern California cities of Santa Cruz, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Berkeley) reported the following data on deaths among those younger than one year of age:

4 weeks ending March 19, 2011 - 37 deaths (avg. 9.25 per week)
10 weeks ending May 28, 2011 - 125 deaths (avg.12.50 per week)

This amounts to an increase of 35% (the total for the entire U.S. rose about 2.3%), and is statistically significant. Of further significance is that those dates include the four weeks before and the ten weeks after the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant disaster. In 2001 the infant mortality was 6.834 per 1000 live births, increasing to 6.845 in 2007. All years from 2002 to 2007 were higher than the 2001 rate."
[...]
Spewing from the Fukushima reactor are radioactive isotopes including those of iodine (I-131), strontium (Sr-90) and cesium (Cs-134 and Cs-137) all of which are taken up in food and water. Iodine is concentrated in the thyroid, Sr-90 in bones and teeth and Cs-134 and Cs-137 in soft tissues, including the heart. The unborn and babies are more vulnerable because the cells are rapidly dividing and the delivered dose is proportionally larger than that delivered to an adult. ~ http://www.counterpunch.org/sherman06102011.html

Questions have appeared challenging the methodology of this study... but I'll leave it up to you to read into it.

Last edited by teknikAL on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 pm 
Veteran Member

That's very sad to hear, but not surprising =/ I don't know if it is comparable in nursing women, but I know cows milk is something like 1000 times stronger in cesium and iodine 131 than the grass they intake. So I am sad to say that young children will likely start showing the effects soon as well.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 am 
Dedicated Member

As it goes up the food chain, it concentrates.
It also happens fast, which is why the non response and no general education on the simple safety precautions by the government is despicable.
Actually, the lack of basic safety precautions taught even to those near a radiation source even to workers is minimal and is mostly just monthly monitoring of a dosimeter badge. I only learned so much because during the machine down time I worked with the safety officer as part of a crew testing the active radiation detectors, inventorying and storing old detectors, and re-writing the Emergency Response Plan to post 911 standards for two laboratories. I made the plan web accessible so the first responders could have easy access and get to the materials safety overview easier.

I am stumped at the lack of education, but I think there is a decision not to educate as it raises awareness and thus anxiety of those that live and work nearby causing a backlash against the technology. As I mentioned earlier, the EPA is changing the limits of when they record and report the radiation levels to the public further hiding the information. For me, who has exceeded my monthly limit of dose at least once (which is 20 times higher than the general public's allowable limit), this shell game can easily affect my health... just glad I am on the East Coast; distance is life.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 pm 
Veteran Member

again, I completely agree, it is sinister, and downright criminal. Here is an article that talks about the EPA's response or lack there of.

http://www.idealist.ws/contaminationna.php#control

There is another link I was trying to find that shows the EPA's history of assisting in cover up, when they were releasing large amounts of radiation in Nevada using Chernobyl as a smoke screen. The EPA pulled it's monitoring stations for the project the day before the large releases.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 pm 
Veteran Member

not what I was looking for, but a very good read.

http://www.idealist.ws/thermal.php

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:10 pm 
Dedicated Member

I am pretty sure the EPA has been planning to raise the level at which they record and report the radiation levels. We have been pretty lucky that the Iodine has a short half life and even though it fell here in the states, it was a small amount. At least up to May first. After that who knows as they went to the quarterly reporting. Three months is longer than radioactive Iodine's half life (three days). There could have been a significant amount that collects in the thyroid, but in three months would be undetectable, yet did it's damage. The government whistleblower site Watchdog [Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility]:
http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=1480
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/03/23 ... 38354.html

Here is the EPA RADNET: http://www.epa.gov/japan2011/rert/radnet-data-map.html
You used to be able to check daily levels with realtime weather like maps but now the thing has changed and includes FDA warnings which only concern poisoning and not anything about ******** effects.
There is also a world wide monitor Norsk Institute which tracked radiation longer than the EPA. They also pulled radiation monitoring when the volcano blew in Iceland or wherever in the North Sea/Europe areas, just before the super high radiation you speak about. They pulled the web server but stored the new images offline on a server called Zardoz which was left online and accessible, but not via http with no links... just ftp. These showed the radiation output and tracked the radionuclide in the atmosphere with weather like maps of the world. It also uses the RADNET detectors in the US and others world wide.
Here is zardoz: http://zardoz.nilu.no/~flexpart/fpinteractive/plots/
If you sort through the plots with the largest file sizes, you will find "simulations" of radioactivity dispersions. These "radiation maps" are extrapolated from the RADNET and other world wide detector's data combined with wind and weather data to produce a motion weather like map of dispersion patterns.
Zardoz was a 1970's B movie staring Sean Connery about a post nuclear world where the oligarchs were saved from radiation releases as they had the info, kept it private (proprietary) and could take precautions, and the rest of the world was poisoned and ******** radiation created a planet of savage mutants... I ******** you not google it. Those scientists have a dark sense of humor....
Better yet, here is a blog showing some simulations and the ZARDOZ trailer.....http://subrealism.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... ation.html

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:10 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:35 pm 
Dedicated Member

Having seen that we were awash in radioactive Xe 133, a product of nuclear fission, and a noble gas that gives off a blue light when electricity is applied and is used in light bulbs; I was amazed to watch the blue upper atmosphere lightning from the crazy thunderstorms we had in the north east the next two weeks.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:35 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 15 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply