Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Sex please
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 am 

I know its a no-no to put flowerhorns on here.... but I cant get a good answer any where else, so here are pictures of Fred and Martha's vents. What sex are they?
Martha;
Fred;

Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am 
Dedicated Member

Generally a round vent is male and an oblong female...

Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 am 

Teknikal, I have to give you an A+ on answering questions in a very round about indirect manner... Care to enlighten me a little more?

Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm 

oO for female and oo for male

fred looks to be a female and the mertha is not a good pic to tell from. cant really see the vents to well.

and it is hard to do. practice of fish you know the sex for sure to get an idea. even then you cant always tell. the more practice the better.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 pm 
Dedicated Member

The vent is closest to the anal fin. It is best to compare fish of the same species. Female vent will be much bigger, maybe oblong, when compared to a male. I am not really good at it.

It is my understanding that flowerhorns are nearly impossible to sex when immature. If they are mature, usually the thick tube that sticks downwards is female. The male tube is thinner, sometimes pointed at an angle.

You may have to wait until they have their gear down...
If I had to guess, you have two males, though that is just a guess.

These will be better than me explaining.
http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm
http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_venting.shtml
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php

Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 pm 

wow the pics look different here at home. i was looking at them at work and the pics looked a lot different.

i would say the first pic is a female. the second pic a male. but again like al was saying you may have to wait till their tubes are down. that is the best way to sex substrate spawners. the female is usually large and round while the males are smaller and slightly pointed back.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 pm 

well, Fred is about 9" and Martha is about 4.5" but they are the same age (9mo-1yr), Martha went on a month long hunger strike awhile back so I think that accounts for the size difference.
I know with Martha's size venting her is iffy. But Fred's vent is huge compared to the anus, so by reading the stuff on venting Fred is female?

I know the pic of Martha is a poor quality pic. It was the best I could do when moving her bare handed.
Martha has been slipping over the divider from time to time and going on Fred's side of the tank and well...well see for your self and let me know what you think they are up to; video
They have given each other only the slightest fin tears not what you would expect from flowerhorns

Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm 

so going on the big O little o..... Fred is female and Martha is a male?

Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:40 pm 
Associate Admin

flowerhorn are a bit trickier to vent then mouth brooders.
the pix don't lead me to any conclusions.

the video, i'd expect a 9 inch flowerhorn to have a bigger head, but it does vary with type and diet.
the smaller one actually looked like it was getting a bigger Kok.

I'm thinking the smaller one is the male,and the bigger one is actually your female.

Fri May 07, 2010 3:40 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:54 pm 

I've never fed them any of the fancy flowerhorn foods.... too many chemicals and hormones for my tastes. They get NLS and omega one floating cichlid pellets along with plenty of meaty treats.
They are red dragons
Ok so that would make sense on why Martha keeps going over to Fred's side and not getting killed.
That would be my luck that the male has a girl name and the female has a boys name :lol:
And with techinkals de.scription on the tubes leads me to believe Martha is male, there was a tube down the other day and it was skinny and angled, but Fred's tube wasn't down so I didn't have any comparison to go on.

Fri May 07, 2010 3:54 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:09 am 
Dedicated Member

dre_day";p="5369 wrote:
wow the pics look different here at home. i was looking at them at work and the pics looked a lot different.
Amazing how that works. My family computer with an Ati Radeon video card just crashed, so I am now using my workstation/server with an nVidia card and wow what a difference in the pictures. Much larger and easier to see that it appears Fred has a Oo set up. Still would wait for a tube to drop to be sure.

Looks like you may have a pair. Too bad that it appears you have a smaller male. Could be the "hunger strike" or could be how sexual dimorphism is expressed by Flowerhorns; not that familiar with them. Hopefully my guess is wrong and Fred is male.
If the male was larger, you use egg crate (that stuff they use/sell as a diffuser for florescent ceiling light fixtures) as a divider, cut a hole in it just large enough for the female to pass through and allow her respite from an aggressive male. Lots of SA and CA breeders do that as aggression can be off the chart.

Sat May 08, 2010 4:09 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:51 am 

They do have an egg crate divider, sometimes I fill the tank up enough that Martha can slip over the top like seen in the video. Fred tolerates Martha for 10-15 minutes then chases him off.
Looking up their skirts with a mirror Fred has Oo and Martha has oo, Fred's vent is 3x the size of the anus and Martha's is roughly the same size.
Next time I have to dismantle the rock piled up by the divider I will get pics of their vents again, I don't net fish unless I have to, it makes catching easier when they aren't too familiar with a net.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:51 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Sex please
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:12 am 
Veteran Member

I try to net at night. Though I botched it last night when I intended to catch a holding Mpimbwe Gibberosa. Got her thos morning though, without toooo much trouble.

Pitch black netting with a flash light is great though, they hardly even know they are out of the water.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:12 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply