Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Red west mwanza??
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm 

Greetings. New to the site, so if this is a dumb question, please have mercy on me! I recently ordered two male and four female "f2" "Pundamilia nyererei Red West Mwanza" from a dealer who posted the fish on aquabid. The fish all look great, and seem quite healthy. The only problem I have is that upon a bit of research, it seems "West Mwanza" is a generic classification that does not actually narrow down which strain of Pundamilia the fish really is. Does this mean there is no hope for me to figure out which strain(Anchor Island, Makobe Island, etc.) of fish I have ordered? Again, if this is a dumb question, don't hesitate to let me know!

Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Red west mwanza??
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:10 am 

i believe i know the dealer and the fish you are talking about. I do believe the fish are called red mwanza. They were brought in a couple years ago under that name. I am not sure if there is a better location name for them.

that is what i think they have been going by but i am not sure if anyone else has more info on them, if they do i am sure they will chime in.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Mon May 28, 2012 4:10 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

Well, that certainly isn't a dumb question at all. The nyererei imported by DeMason in 2007 were just called "Mwanza". There is only one breeder I know of that added the "red" to call them "red Mwanza" and now I'm hearing "red west Mwanza".

It is a generic name meaning the fish was caught somewhere in Mwanza Gulf. But that's okay. No one really knows where most any of the nyererei in the hobby were collected for sure. One just looks at the body shape and coloration and tries to determine the best they can, what locational varient it might be.

Kevin

Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 pm 
Associate Admin

The name should be "Pundamilia nyererei "Mwanza Gulf". When Breeders or retailers change the name of the fish for profit it causes confusion in the hobby. It should be the name of the species and then the collection point. We have seen exporters, retailers, and hobbyist do the same thing in the frontosa world. They do it for basically for profit. The seller of your fish knows this, but in my opinion he really dose not care.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm 

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. I feel a bit better about it now. I was afraid that I was dealing with likely hybrids when I found that the West Mwanza name was somewhat generic. I'm sure the possibility still exists, but hopefully no more than if I got the fish from another source.

Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply