Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Haplochromis sp. 35 aka Tomato VERY RARE
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:44 am 
Associate Admin

I saw this on aquabid, is there such a thing as a Haplochromis sp. 35 aka Tomato?

Here is the link to the auction.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1274227859

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:44 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Haplochromis sp. 35 aka Tomato VERY RARE
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am 
Veteran Member

I saw this and was wondering the same thing. I seem to recall seeing one sold as such before somewhere else.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 am 

there is such a species, i have never seen one. i believe they look like this

Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:35 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

Big Jim";p="5654 wrote:
I saw this on aquabid, is there such a thing as a Haplochromis sp. 35 aka Tomato?

Well there suppedly is a Hap sp. 35 tomato. I've seen several people name their victorian Hap sp. 35 tomato.

???????
Kevin

Sat May 15, 2010 8:35 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 pm 
Dedicated Member

There is a H. sp. 35 tomato, I consulted the haplochromis.org complete list: http://www.haplochromis.org/minifiches2/liste_fr.html

It is extremely aggressive from what I have heard.
Dman's pic from Spencer Jack is likely spot on as Spencer Jack has a strong reputation.
I have heard concerns that it is a hybrid of a PN variant and sp. 44 Thick skin. Yet this is not certain.

BTW is Big Jim's aquabid name Big John... I think John is senso stricto for Jim... no that's James, never mind....

Here is that guy "James" web site:
http://www.africancichlidcentral.com/index.html

Last edited by teknikAL on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:04 pm 
Associate Admin

I'm Clifton on aquabid.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sat May 15, 2010 3:04 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:06 pm 

Big Jim";p="5667 wrote:
I'm Clifton on aquabid.

WORD!!!

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Sat May 15, 2010 3:06 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:00 pm 
Dedicated Member

OK, The seller is James Gibbons (not Gibson) and according to my info, his fish are very legit and the man is a very nice guy. Based on those I spoke with I would have no hesitation in purchasing any of his fish, he is a purest who supports conservation. He actually does have an impressive collection of Haplochromis.

Last edited by teknikAL on Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 15, 2010 5:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:37 am 

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and thought I would pass along the info I have on the species. I obtained my stock from a hobbyist here in Michigan who has a nice sized breeding group. My understanding is that he obtained these fish from another hobbyist and the original source was Old World Exotic Fish, Inc. There is a very nice picture of the Hap. sp. 35 "tomato" on an aqualog poster. I have the poster somewhere and if I can find it I'll scan a copy. The hobbyist I purchased my stock from pointed out that the front of the dorsal on this species is white and all my males are also showing it. This is the most aggressive species of fish I've ever kept. They are crazy! :twisted: I have them in a 75 gallon with a group of demasoni and they keep each other in check very well. One other thing, my last name is Gibbons, not Gibson. :wink:

Sun May 16, 2010 5:37 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:13 am 

africancichlidcentral,
its good to have you share the information on the history of this species you have with us. so thank you.
if you would be so kind as to post some better quality pictures of the fish in question.
also please understand that the questions we have concerning the purity of this species are not a negative statement of you. victorians are in general difficult at times to properly identify. should they end up being as you state i would encourage you to seek out dedicated members of cichlid clubs with a reputation of conservation and dedication to victorians and offre them the species.
while aqua bid has its uses, rare fish sold there will more han likely dissapear into the bottomless pit of the hobby here.

Sun May 16, 2010 6:13 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

africancichlidcentral";p="5680 wrote:
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and thought I would pass along the info I have on the species. I obtained my stock from a hobbyist here in Michigan who has a nice sized breeding group.

Hi James,

Isn't this one of the fish you got from Tomas that you were doubting the ID for? I kinda remember this species being the prime kickoff to the internet disagreement years ago.

The fish certainly looks like the Hap sp. tomato pics on the internet, but I've seen Hap #44's that look very similar. I'm not throwing stones here, but I've never seen this listed on the Old World Exotic web site and I check periodically to what Laif is releasing for sale.

Kevin
Glad to see you've returned to the hobby!

Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 am 
Associate Admin

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and thought I would pass along the info I have on the species. I obtained my stock from a hobbyist here in Michigan who has a nice sized breeding group. My understanding is that he obtained these fish from another hobbyist and the original source was Old World Exotic Fish, Inc. There is a very nice picture of the Hap. sp. 35 "tomato" on an aqualog poster. I have the poster somewhere and if I can find it I'll scan a copy. The hobbyist I purchased my stock from pointed out that the front of the dorsal on this species is white and all my males are also showing it. This is the most aggressive species of fish I've ever kept. They are crazy! :twisted: I have them in a 75 gallon with a group of demasoni and they keep each other in check very well. One other thing, my last name is Gibbons, not Gibson. :wink:

I'm glad you made it over here, to help explain these fish. I have heard good things about you.

Welcome to COV.

Thomas Jefferson.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 am 
Dedicated Member

One other thing, my last name is Gibbons, not Gibson. :wink:
:oops: late night :roll:

Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 am 

Hi Kevin. Thanks, it sure is nice to be back. Yes, this is the infamous fish and I'm not going there again. :wink: I was told they came from Old World but I will double check to be sure. Thanks,
James

KevinB";p="5682 wrote:
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and thought I would pass along the info I have on the species. I obtained my stock from a hobbyist here in Michigan who has a nice sized breeding group.

Hi James,

Isn't this one of the fish you got from Tomas that you were doubting the ID for? I kinda remember this species being the prime kickoff to the internet disagreement years ago.

The fish certainly looks like the Hap sp. tomato pics on the internet, but I've seen Hap #44's that look very similar. I'm not throwing stones here, but I've never seen this listed on the Old World Exotic web site and I check periodically to what Laif is releasing for sale.

Kevin
Glad to see you've returned to the hobby!

Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am 

Okay, sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. These fish actually did come from Tom and were sold to a hobbyist. This hobbyist sold some to another hobbyist and then he sold some to me. This would have happened over a 6 to 8 year period. I believe the uproar in the first place was regarding price, not purity, otherwise I don't think he would have sold any himself as he was "fanatic" about the fish and I can't fault him for that. When I listed them on aquabid starting at a buck with no reserve he asked me to agree to sell them at a certain price. When I said no, well, that's history. Regardless, we are 3 generations later and the grown up "grandfish" look identical to the parents. I believe that they are definitely the real deal or I would cull them. I do believe the source was correct and that someone in the GCCA got them from Old World and they sold them to Tom.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply