Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Pund. Red flank, or so i thought
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:49 pm 

Well if any of you have been following my red flanks you know there is some discrepancy with them. They definitely do not look like the EU strain but more closely to the strain KevinB had. I was starting to be fairly certain that they were indeed this strain after looking at kevins pics. But now they are starting to change their colors to something very different for a red flank.

I took pics today of the 3 colored males and some of the group. The most dominant male is now showing almost entirely BLUE coloration. Yes thats right blue. I almost dont believe it myself. Now at first i thought this could have been the dark morph that other species can display from time to time. But the fact that i have 3 males that are showing this coloration is not contributing to that fact.

The subdominant males are still showing lots of green with red and orange over the shoulder area. But the dominant males are dark blue below the later line and lighter blue along the top near the dorsal.

these pics are taken today and i touched them up a little in photshop to brightening them up. the blue is not as prevalent as it is with the naked eye. The first pic i put a before and after to show any difference from photshop. It brought out more shimmer in the color on the scales in some of the photos.

Before
[fullalbumimg]808[/fullalbumimg]

After
[fullalbumimg]807[/fullalbumimg]

[fullalbumimg]796[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]797[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]798[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]800[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]801[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]802[/fullalbumimg]

The most dominant male who was hiding the most. You can see how much blue there is even though he was out of focus.
[fullalbumimg]803[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]804[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]805[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]806[/fullalbumimg]

Another fun fact, my buddy was at the breeder house who we got them from and his red flank male LOOKED AWESOME!!! It looks like kevinbs pic with bright red along the flank. the green was not as bright but it was there. So i am not sure what happened here or if he had a cross breed and gave us that batch. But i am not sure what could cross red flanks with to get blue.... also there was no report of any blue type vics at the breeders house.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:49 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:57 pm 

I have read that blue is a semi common color morph in vics, like some going nearly black. Pull that dom male and see what the next in line colors up like?

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:57 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 pm 
Associate Admin

People that know than me is going to have to help you with this one. I have read and seen the dark morph, this could be one.

Are you sure the line is clean?

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 pm 

i would assume so, but now not so much. Ed saw the father which is red as can be, so i dont know what happened. He could be holding out on us. But for 3 males to be that dark color is hard to swallow.

www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Pund. Red flank, or so i thought
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm 

well i am trading out this group to a fellow hobbyist (who sucks at breeding fish) for some tangs for my buddy.

i will soon have a thread going for the red flanks that came from germany. i was growing them out in a 40g br and about 2 weeks ago my bud ed noticed one holding. well i pulled them to check and it was a false alarm.

so today i was moving a bunch of fish around and decided to put them in a 55g to help them grow a bit faster. low and behold i had a female holding, with another swole up ready to drop. if i can get some good pics i will post up, the male is starting to look really nice. they grew out faster than i thought.

www.ftffacoop.com

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Pund. Red flank, or so i thought
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 am 

im glad to hear that they are doing great. 8)

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply