Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 8 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Quarantine tank
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 pm 

Not sure if this is the right area to pose this question or not. Also, I'm admittedly a bit of an amateur compared to the people on this board, so be warned that a lot of my questions are probably pretty basic:
I have my 7 P. nyererei(West Mwanza) that I received last Thursday in a quarantine tank(10g). How long would you suggest leaving them in there before adding them to my community tank? I've seen estimates of three weeks, but I know that Pundamilia are reasonably aggressive, and I'd rather not risk them killing each other in such a small, bare-bones setup. Also, how concerned should I be with their size when adding them to the community tank. In my community tank, I have an Obliquidens Zebra and a couple others that are significantly larger than the Pundamilias. My final concern with the quarantine tank is maintaining the water quality. It seems that the lack of any substrate is causing any leftover food to collect and decay, causing the water to cloud. Not sure if that is related to the lack of substrate or not, but it's the first time I've had the issue, and this is my first quarantine tank.
Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks in advance for any tips.

Dave

Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Quarantine tank
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

You don't mention how large the nyererei are. Little juvenile nyererei aren't going to go on a killing spree.

If you have decaying food on the bottom of the tank, then you are feeding them too much. Bare-bottom tanks are great because you can siphon the excess food out easily enough. The lack of substrate has nothing to do with the water quality.

I usually quarantine for 10 to 14 days. If I ever actually buy a wild caught cichlid, I'd extend that quarantine time. Others will have a different opinion.

Kevin

Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:27 am 

I have a friend who quarantines for 3 months. 3-4 weeks is usually enough. Did your quarantine tank cycle before you set it up? Or did you use a seasoned sponge/filter?

the left over food should be siphoned out. it may be cloudy if it does not have enough bacteria in it. just a guess.

punda. should be able to hold there own in the new tank. I would feed the other fish and then introduce the pund. that way the other fish are distracted for a while and should not bother them while they find their way around.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue May 29, 2012 4:27 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm 

Sorry, the Punda are approximately 1.25" right now. Pretty small guys. And good call on the lack of bacteria. I let it run for a little less than a week before adding the fish, but that is probably not enough to develop a good bacteria colony. Any opinions on whether or not I would be better off just adding the Punda to the community tank now, or leaving them in the quarantine tank despite the water being cloudy?

Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:27 am 

the water clarity is probably from the food in the water. It is best to quarantine your fish, you may have a lot more work to do later.

It is easier to do WC with a smaller tank with no substrate. I would leave them and just siphon daily. what type of filter do you have on the tank? if it is a HOB it might be beneficial to add a cartridge from another tank to cycle that tank. just keep it on that tank and do not put it on a main tank. that is a quick way to jump start a cycle.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Wed May 30, 2012 4:27 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 am 

i keep species only t6anks now but back in the days that i had mixed/community tanks i used to do a 2 week/nobody acting sickly wait before putting them into the mixed tanks.

Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:46 pm 

or you could take water out of your big tank since its been cycled

Wed May 30, 2012 2:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 pm 

Yeah, when I initially filled the quarantine tank, it was with water from the big tank. I'm guessing the excess food is the problem. I'll just stay diligent and siphon the excess out daily until I can add the Punda to the big tank. Thanks again for all the responses, you guys have been quite helpful!

Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 8 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply