Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 3 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: thinking about first victorian tank - kyoga flamebacks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hey everybody! this is my first post on this site. My LFS recently got kyoga flameback (Xystichromis phytophagus). I've always been on the lookout for any victorians in the area and these are the first i've seen in almost 6 months.

I was thinking of either giving them a empty 30gal long with a lot of rocks as hiding places or putting them into my 55gal mbuna tank. The current residents of the 55gal are a few afra cichlids, 5 or 6 yellow labs, and 3 pseudotropheus socolofi (the male socolofi is the biggest and in charge but he's never killed anyone).

Also i was wondering if anybody knew any general facts about this species like : pH, how to sex/breed, diet?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: thinking about first victorian tank - kyoga flamebacks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

RLHam3 wrote:
Hey everybody! this is my first post on this site. My LFS recently got kyoga flameback (Xystichromis phytophagus). I've always been on the lookout for any victorians in the area and these are the first i've seen in almost 6 months

Kyoga flamebacks are technically Haplochromis sp. "Kyoga flameback" which is synonymous with Haplochromis sp. "Kyoga all red". Some folks feel that they will eventually end up in the genus Xystichromis and are already referring to them as Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga flameback"

Xystichromis phytophagus is a completely different fish. The common name for this species is Xmas Fulu.

It seems to me that there are a whole lot of hybrids being passed off as Kyoga flamebacks or Xmas fulus at this time. So I would strongly encourage you to do your research to be absolutely sure that your LFS is selling the real deal. Both of these Victorians can be a bit shy. If you mix them with more aggressive mbuna you might not see them color up much at all.

Good luck. They are both beautiful vics.
Kevin

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: thinking about first victorian tank - kyoga flamebacks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 am 

I will be getting them tonight so i will hopefully be able to post pictures by tomorrow so that I can get some help with species Identification. They will go into a QT tank for a week until I have cleared out my 30 long.

Is there anything that I should know in order to sex these guys?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 3 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply