Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 20 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: redoing fish room
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 am 

I'm going to rearrange my Fish / bed room again ! I'm going to add a rack for four more tanks . Do you think I should go with 55g. or 75 g. tanks ?
I'm going to use them for breeder tanks . I like the 75's but the 55g. tanks are all over the place used , 75's are a little harder to come by .
If I go with new tanks what size do you recommend for breeder's ?

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm 

75gal is better IMO than a 55gal due to the larger floor space.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 pm 

Jimmy,

I would go with the 75g's and use one divider in each tank. That's 2 for the price of one..so to speak. 30+ gallons is plenty for breeders.

Post some pics when you are done!

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm 
Associate Admin

I like 3 x 55's stacked on a rack.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:17 pm 
Associate Admin

75's are better, bigger usually is.
but as you say, they are very hard to find compared to 55's.

depending on the size or strength of your racks, you can place the 55's sideways(so you only see the side of the tank instead of the front viewing area.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:44 am 

I have my 20g longs set up like that and I have issues reaching the other side.... Just thought I would throw that out there. But its a great space saver to do it like that.
But like pantera mentioned you could divide the 75g and have 2 'tanks' You could also do that with 55g depending on what you put in there.
You could always hawk craigslist for a while I got my 75g for $50 with stand. Just keep looking and see what you can find for cheap on there, that's what I would do.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:44 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 am 

How high can you go? with 55G's your going to need about 95-100" from the floor to the celing.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 pm 
Associate Admin

putting your 55's sideways in rows can make getting to them difficult.
it helps if you have a walk way behind them so you can get to the far side.
It also helps if the upper shelf above the tanks has at least 18 inches of space between the top of the bottom tanks, and the bottom of the top row.

if you are going to make a shelf with 4 levels, and stack the tanks normal way, with the viewing area to the front then you have to have a fairly high ceiling.

put the bottom tank directly on the floor.
have about 12 inches of space between tank levels(you don't need 18 inches in this setup because the tanks are in a normal presentation, not sideways).

the tanks are about 22 inches tall so the second tank shelf will be at about 30 to 34 inches.
the third level tank will be at about 60 to 68 inches, and the fourth/final shelf will be at 90 to 102 inches, with the top level of the tank at 110 to 122 inches.

most ceilings will work well with a 3 level setup and give you enough space in between to work on the tanks.
with 4 you will either have to have tall ceilings, or limited space inbetween to work on them.

what i would do is set up the bottom row, and second to bottom row in a normal viewing presentation, meaning two tanks for display.
on the upper third row, make it a grow out system with 3 foot 40's, or you could use 55's sideways.

make the top row like it was going to be a custom platform bed or something, that way it can have the length wise setup.

in this manner you can have 6 tanks.
4 grow outs, or non display 30-55's at the top.
1 display 55 or 75 on the middle, and 1 display 55 or 75 on the bottom.

you could switch it up and have the grow out tanks on the bottom level, and the display tanks on 2nd and 3rd level.

i prefer grow outs on top because that is where the heat goes, heat makes the fry grow a little quicker, or put warmer water species up there.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: redoing fish room
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:34 pm 

I have my fry tanks on a home made rack . The tanks are on it long ways and it makes it tuff to catch the fry . I think with a 4 foot tank it would be too tuff to catch the fish .
Don't get me wrong , I love the idea of putting ten tanks in the space of four but I like to watch the fish too ! I think I going to go with 75's , two up top and two on the bottom . Kind of like this . I wish there was room for three but it would be too tight .
Here's the fry tank's there's 20 longs on top 30 longs in the middle .

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:34 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 am 

nice... youll be happy with 75s.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 pm 

tr6";p="2936 wrote:
putting your 55's sideways in rows can make getting to them difficult.
it helps if you have a walk way behind them so you can get to the far side.
It also helps if the upper shelf above the tanks has at least 18 inches of space between the top of the bottom tanks, and the bottom of the top row.

if you are going to make a shelf with 4 levels, and stack the tanks normal way, with the viewing area to the front then you have to have a fairly high ceiling.

put the bottom tank directly on the floor.
have about 12 inches of space between tank levels(you don't need 18 inches in this setup because the tanks are in a normal presentation, not sideways).

the tanks are about 22 inches tall so the second tank shelf will be at about 30 to 34 inches.
the third level tank will be at about 60 to 68 inches, and the fourth/final shelf will be at 90 to 102 inches, with the top level of the tank at 110 to 122 inches.

most ceilings will work well with a 3 level setup and give you enough space in between to work on the tanks.
with 4 you will either have to have tall ceilings, or limited space inbetween to work on them.

what i would do is set up the bottom row, and second to bottom row in a normal viewing presentation, meaning two tanks for display.
on the upper third row, make it a grow out system with 3 foot 40's, or you could use 55's sideways.

make the top row like it was going to be a custom platform bed or something, that way it can have the length wise setup.

in this manner you can have 6 tanks.
4 grow outs, or non display 30-55's at the top.
1 display 55 or 75 on the middle, and 1 display 55 or 75 on the bottom.

you could switch it up and have the grow out tanks on the bottom level, and the display tanks on 2nd and 3rd level.

i prefer grow outs on top because that is where the heat goes, heat makes the fry grow a little quicker, or put warmer water species up there.

TR,

Damn good post! I'll use it for my blueprint if and when I ever get my "fish room"!

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm 

What does every body do about electric outlets on there racks ? As you can see in the pic of my fry tanks ,With all the lights filters and heater's It looks like the christmas tree in the movie a christmas story !
Be careful or you'll shoot your eye out ! :lol:
I'm having my buddy come over and run new wire from the the circuit panel with a bunch of outlets on it . [ I wont play with electric . I got hit once and that's all it takes ! ] :oops:

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:45 pm 

Are you going to run all that to one circuit breaker?? Since you are going to run one wire, make it a 4 guage and a 125 breaker to a sub-panel in the room and then you will have room for 6-12 circuit breakers and divide all that power between all the breakers. I think just running one wire with a bunch of plugs attached to it could be a possible fire risk or overloading the breaker tripping it constantly.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm 

Nope , My bud is going to put a split mini breaker , so I can use the existing outlets . The new line will be for a few outlets when I figure out where I'll need them .
He's an electrician so he knows what he's doing . I hope !! lol

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 am 

If you use the 3M water proofing goo on the bits of exposed wire I see no issue putting them directly on the racks.

Your wires and air lines look a whole lot neater than mine. I have 'snail highways' all over the place!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 20 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply