Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 3 of 3      [ 37 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 pm 

teknikAL";p="4337 wrote:
Fern";p="4294 wrote:
I have thought about creating a system like that.... Just not sure if its worth building with only 20 some odd tanks... I do have all the needed material though....
Read KMX's post above. This is the setup without the waterchange system.

KMX,
Do you find that the temerature of the breeder's water has any effect on the proportions of male to female of the spawn? I have suspected this with my Malawis and have been told it is a fact with Victorians.

I keep the breeder tanks at a warmer temp 83ish give or a take a few... It seems to me that they like the warmer water, more eggs are produced AND the babies go from eggs to fry faster when the water is warmer. Just from my observations.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Electricity Bills
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 am 
Dedicated Member

KMX,
When the fry grow out at 83 degrees F;
What are the male to female ratios like?
Are they consistantly at that ratio brood to brood for the same species?

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm 

I am running HOBs and sponge filters on most of my tanks. My air supply is by three superluft sl-65 LPM airpumps. A friend of mine put a wattage usage meter on the sl-65 and they drew 21 watts. I have 27 tanks with around 1100 gals total at a temp around 78 degrees. By my besst estimate, my electric bill has went up around $125 per month running my fish room. I currently use Reflex roll insulation around three sides of all my tanks. Reflex is like a double space blanket with bubble wrap on the inside. It works both as a radiant heat reflector and an insulatort.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm 
Veteran Member

KingLucky";p="4407 wrote:
My air supply is by three superluft sl-65 LPM airpumps.

This is interesting to me because I just stumbled upon this air pump yesterday. How do you like it, and what is the noise level like? What did you pay if I may ask? I am curious what others running large pumps are using, and their experiences as I am just about ready to make that leap.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm 
Associate Admin

I use 2 Ap100 out in my fish room in the garage. I use a AP50 in my frontosa room. I have 1 inch PVC pipe around the garage with air valves on it. I have a custom made manifold with air valves on it to run my frontosa room.

AP-100 HIGH VOLUME AIR PUMP:
This will deliver even more air then its twin brother above and is just as quiet. This is excellent for use as a pond air pump or for multiple tank setups. Will pump down up to 11.5 feet in water. Only 100 watts of power to run and comes with a 33 outlet manifold. Pumps 9150 cu. in/min.

AV-50 HIGH VOLUME AIR PUMP:
This will bridge the gap between smaller air pumps and the large blowers. This is excellent for use as a pond air pump or for multiple tank setups. Will pump down up to 10 feet. Only 40 watts of power to run and comes with a 12 outlet manifold. Pumps 50L/min or 2900 c in/ m.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 am 

Me";p="4416 wrote:
KingLucky";p="4407 wrote:
My air supply is by three superluft sl-65 LPM airpumps.

This is interesting to me because I just stumbled upon this air pump yesterday. How do you like it, and what is the noise level like? What did you pay if I may ask? I am curious what others running large pumps are using, and their experiences as I am just about ready to make that leap.

They cost me around $65. I have been using them for 2 years and very happy. They are LPM and are quiet. My fish room is actually in my sub basement and so is my office. Basically all I hear is the air bubbles, not the pump unless the pump gets bumped against something when I hear it grrrrring and then I just rebalance it.

I downsized awhile back and sold two of these two local club members. He replaced a regen blower and just loves this new pump. The other guys loves it also.

I have run as many as 20 sponges/stones and still have excess air. Also, being a LPM, the air is higher pressure so it works better in a deep tank.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am 

I use Thomas pumps. I had them leftover from an old company I used to help run. I believe they were $600 new. They are fine at 10 feet of head pressure and are easily rebuilt of a diaphragm goes. Hooks right up to 1/2" PVC. They don't use much electric. Nice and quiet. I could run a thousand tanks on one if I had the room too :lol:

p.s. I have 6 various kinds for sale all new but not at the new price... PM me if your interested.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am
Gender place holder
Page 3 of 3      [ 37 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply