Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 3      [ 31 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: Powerful Pump
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 am 
Veteran Member

Ok, so I am looking to get a fairly powerful pump to run up to 20 fry tanks, or 10 fry tanks and a big tank, or any number of combinations. Here is what I have been thinking of getting all day http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=14684

Are there any pumps for the $75 and under range that compare? I am not concerned with noise so long as I can't hear it in down the hall in a room with the door closed. But if their is a super quiet super reliable pump that can run 20 or so 10 gallon tanks with ease I am all ears. I was very close to finalizing this order tonight, but realized I should really ask those that know first. I am interested in what everyone has to say, and curious what some of the Germans may use. I know Germany makes some quality goods. I spent a bit of extra money on fans for my computer called Noise Blockers which are German. Very smooth and quite, and apparently they last forever. I am not only the president of Noise Blockers, I am also a client ;)

Thanks!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 am 

it looks like a good pump. i never used that brand myself. you should be able to run all those tanks on it. not sure exactly what it could run though.

i think for the price it is good. the ap-20 pondmaster air pump is pretty good as well. not sure if you will find it under your 75$ price though.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:52 am 
Associate Admin

I found the same pump at ken's for $48.50. here is the link. It is the EP-30 air pump.
http://kensfish.com/largeairpumps.html

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:52 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 am 

I couldn't tell ya... The only air pumps I have run are the little dinky ones and my huge ones that will run a whole fish store and more.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:02 am 
Dedicated Member

I have run dolphin diaphram pumps and found they were well constructed for what they are. I would stay away from diaphram pumps though. They dont last in humid, hot conditions and you have to replace the diaphram fequently (unless there is a better design).
I have not run a Luft pump, I don't know the mechanics of it or maintenence requirements. If you have to bleed off the excess pressure, it can be extreemly noisy.

I deal with Jhemco, John and his wife are very knowelable and have saved the Spooky Fish Club hatchery bushels of money with their reccomendations. Last fall he had a sale on the linear piston pump with Pre-built 6 and 20 Valve Manifolds all the hangers for the manifols, 3' of large tubing to conect the pump to the manifold and 30' of tube to connect the small manifold to the large one.... all for about $150.00! Unreal totally hooked up my home fishroom. The pump alone currently goes for $185.00, out of your range.
I would definately check out the first link I provided and scroll down for some great info.

Big Jim";p="4527 wrote:
I found the same pump at ken's for $48.50. here is the link. It is the EP-30 air pump.
http://kensfish.com/largeairpumps.html
I found the same pump at Fancy Koi Outlet (in CA) for $44.50. here is the link. It is the EP-30 air pump. (Scroll down) http://www.fancykoioutlet.com/supply/av50.htm

Allen in the East.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:02 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Powerful Pump
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm 
Veteran Member

Hi, after a bit more research and also talking to the frontosa.com group (half of you:) ) I am pretty sure I am going to go with a linear pump. The best I can currently find in my price range, which has gone up about $15 is this one at Kensfish the AV-50, If anyone knows of a better linear for under 100, I am all ears.

http://www.kensfish.com/largeairpumps.html

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm 
Veteran Member

nuts to that, I just saw the shipping price for the AV-80, $52.40!!! and looks like the AV-50 may be out of stock.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm 
Associate Admin

I have a AV 50 It runs my frontosa room. I have had it for over 3 years with no complaints. This is not a liner pump it is a diaphram pump. I made a custom manifold for it out of 1 inch pvc pipe with valves on the top. I really like it and it works great for me.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:28 pm 
Dedicated Member

Damn, just checked that linear pump at Jhemco, the price went from 185 to 194 since I posted today at 11 this morning!
:shock:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:35 pm 
Veteran Member

I saw that too, maybe they want my money :P too bad jehmco, too much! :P

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:35 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:50 pm 
Veteran Member

Ok, so what is the difference between a Linear Pump and a Piston Pump? I ask because I see some Linear Pumps that look just like the Super Luft pumps which I thought were Piston pumps. In specific my search has led me here,

http://www.aquacave.com/whitewater-lt-1 ... ump-7.html

and here

http://www.aquacave.com/eco-plus-5-comm ... -1346.html

I have never bought from this outlet, but have come across them in the past.

This is what I think of as a linear pump. A tad out of my price range. cheaper on kens, but not after shipping.

http://www.aquacave.com/alita-al6a-line ... -1019.html

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:50 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Associate Admin

Kens shipping to my house was only $26.00 ups ground. This was for the AV100.

Last edited by Big Jim on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 pm 

That EP30 has 4 outlets, how does that compare to running 4 regular pumps??? Will it produce the same amount of air as a Whisper 60 or 100. Will this pump be more cost effective on the electrical bill compared to running the 4 pumps. I might have to get one as well.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 pm 

you can run a lot more than just 4 outlets. you can spit it up, trick is to get the right amount of pressure to each outlet. but they usually work well.

a linear pump and a piston pump are one in the same, at least as far as i know. i bought a used jehmco l80 for 150. i have not been able to hook it up yet but it should run great.they are well worth the money. ask around in your area for some used stuff.

also a note for kens fish, try a commercial address it can be a lot cheaper. i get all my stuff shipped to work from kens. another reason for that is 2-3 of us usually split the items in the shipment. :D

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:26 pm 
Veteran Member

Well Well Well :)

I found a 2 day old add on craigslist last night for a pond pump. It is a Pondmaster AP-40 airpump, and I picked it up this afternoon for $50 !!!

Now here is the really good news, it is rated for ponds up to 5000 gallons, will pump down to 10ft deep, and all the other stats are much higher than other pumps I was looking at for double the price. Also it is pretty quiet (listened before I bought). Here is a PDF file, page two has the stats http://www.pondmaster.com/instructionsheets/ZG143.PDF

I think I found my pump :) These retail for about $130 and he used it for 3 months in a encased outdoor setting. It looks nearly new.

Ahhh, now I have more money for food, filters and tanks, oh and fish!! 8)

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

I do have one more question. This has a 5/8th inch outlet, and I am planning on using PVC, but should I use a rubber tube from the pump to the pvc? and also what is the best way to tap and create outlets from the pvc? I have gang valves galore to run off the pvc connections to obtain optimum pressure.

Ahhh, I feel so relaxed, I have lost allot of sleep trying to chose the best pump over the last week and balance it with my budget. It is done, and well under target, and well above expected output!!

Me

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 3      [ 31 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply