Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Homemade fish food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 am 

Made up about 15-20 pounds of fish food last night. Did 2 batches, one for African cichlids, more veggi less protein, and one for American cichlids like discus and angels, more protein and less veggi.
If you are married this is a project better done when your spouse is away and use your own food processor. I can never do it without making an absolute mess!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Homemade fish food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:53 am 
Veteran Member

Is it wrong that these pics are making me hungry?

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:53 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm 
Me wrote:
Is it wrong that these pics are making me hungry?

Dunno, but they make me feel sick. :shock:

I aced my MCATs, but I couldn't get accepted to a good med school because I couldn't make fish food without yurling. :lol:

Will it stay muck like that, Fern? What would it do if you spread it in one of those fruit dehydrators?

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm 

ah nice stuff. i tried the mix before but not many of my fish at the time liked it.

do you add any vitamins or color enhancers??

that would be the only reason i go through it again. to boost color (add meds) and vitamins.

if you dehydrated it you might get something like a flake.could be interesting, or scary!!!

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm 

My kid ate some of the veggi :lol: she like it! It was just shredded veggi at the time. I did add spirulina and vitamin C and some of the naturose stuff http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c8/NatuRose-c64.html, I also added in some Levamisole just for S&G's because thats the dewormer I have had to use on my fish.

I ladle a bit of the muck into large freezer bags and smoosh it flat and thin and freeze, if you don't make it thin its a pain in the neck to break off a bit.
Yaa no dehydrator.... I actually bought the food processor just to make fish food with, last time I made fish food I killed the blender :oops:

I use this stuff almost like most folks use frozen treat but a little more regularly, it ends up much cheaper in the long run and you can formulate it to what your fish want and like!
I did use about 4 full bulbs of garlic in the whole mix... um let me see if I can list what all I tossed in this batch, mind you some ingredients are not for Africans at all!
tilapia (cheap warm water fish)
shell on shrimp (the shell acts like glue in the mix)
scallops (was on sale)
spinach (good leafy veggi)
zuchini (Africans and plecos love it)
yellow squash (Africans and plecos love it)
beets (color)
peas (intestinal health)
garlic (appetite enhancer natural anti parasitic)
spirulina (color and health)
vitamin C (health)
naturose (color and health)
Levamisole (de-wormer med, not needed for most folks)
beef heart (added protein for growing angels and discus)
Carrots (color)
Melon (plecos and Africans like it, had some going bad so in it went)

I think that's all that went into the mix..... and again I will mention there are ingredients like beef heart that you do not give to Africans as it usually ends up giving them bloat!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 am 

levamisol huh. i have had many discussions with joe about that. he still wont tell me where he gets it from. he swears it is vet grade but i have my doubts.

anyway the spirulin and naturose is a good combo to add. how much of the naturose did you add?? i was thinking about getting some myself but mixing it with the pellet food somehow. if that will even work.

all you need is some marigold to hit the yellows and you have a great food!! aquabid here you come!! :lol:

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 pm 

I couldn't find any sort of dosage on the naturose so I just added like 3 spoonful's to the mix. Mix it in with some thawed out frozen food and that should work.... I think....
Its like tiny little pellets, about the size of brine eggs, you may be able to get fry to eat it by itself?

Ya had them camallanus worms and that's about the only thing that kills em so I figured I would toss some in the food just for S&G's

Marigold does yellow? I didn't know that! I added in the vitamin C because you said it helps out with..... something or other.....

Its too much of a pain in the rear to make to sell! I will let someone with too much time on their hands play with that one :lol:

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm 

My husband loves me, and is ok with me having a fish hobby that takes up most of the apartment, but this would definantly be a "when he's away thing" like you said.

Great idea of adding in vitamin C and garlic-I'm feeding NLS Thera A to my big tank now as a good all around food that has those things in it.

How long will the food last and how much did you make? Also do you worry about the amount of iron in the spinach?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:36 am 

I made 15-20 pounds of it. Only 2 handful's of fresh spinach went into the mix. I keep it in the freezer so it keeps a very long time. Typically a batch like this lasts me 8 months to a year. But I have at least a thousand gallons of fish at any given time.
I try to make enough to last a good long time, this is not something I want to do very often, its a messy job!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:36 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply