Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:28 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 2      [ 18 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Re: PCCA meeting 12/12/09 Chuck Rambo and Victorians
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

I heard Chuck Rambo's Victorian talk at the ACA convention in Cincinnati this summer. What a fast-paced talk. He is a fantastic speaker and very lucky to obtain more than a few species when the vics were first imported His presentation on the lake conditions was really great.

Now my only critisism (if you want to call it that) is that it did have a somewhat fatalistic viewpoint. For example he expressed the view that; They've been mixed up so badly in the hobby that you really don't know what you have in your tank or where they came from, etc. They are hybridizing in the lake now, so it's likely beyond recovery, etc.

I and others felt that the end result was a talk that would be discouraging to anyone considering getting into Victorians.

Kevin
(I was quite surprised to see he used a whole lot of my pictures in his presentation)

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: PCCA meeting 12/12/09 Chuck Rambo and Victorians
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 am 

Kevin,

Yes, he used pictures of your beautiful fish in last night's presentation.

He did paint a dismal "picture" of the lake and of it's fish. The same "fatalistic viewpoint" only strengthened my resolve to do my part in trying to preserve the clean strains that are available.

Getting these fish from Europe in the hands of dedicated conservators is paramount! I am beholden to everyone that is working so hard to make this happen.

We owe a debt of gratitude to our friends over in Europe for sharing their fish.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 pm 
Associate Admin

Always good to hear Chuck talk.
Also good to meet Pantera.

Chuck will be speaking again in 2 weeks at the COAST meeting in Socal, but not about VICS for those in SOCAL who missed it.
You could certainly talk VICS or any other fish after the meetings like i do.
Chuck is a great fish guru.

He had a alot of nice pix of VICS, including ones from KevinB, and was cool to see my pic of my Flourescent Red fins.

I did talk to him at length afterward about Victoria and perhaps making a trip in a few years.
So hopefully in 2011, and 2010 we are off to Malawi and Tanganyika.
Though Malawi and Tanganyika are a better dives to to water clarity, i'm anxious to see what Haplochromine VICS are still is available.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 2      [ 18 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply