Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:09 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 20 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: American Cichlid Association 2010 Convention
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm 

Hello everyone,

Thank you Allen for letting me start a thread for news regarding the ACA 2010 convention.

Our registration website is now in operation. You can check out www.aca2010.com to read about the event and purchase registrations, show entries, gear, vendor space and sponsorships.

I will pop in here when I can and answer your questions or to add announcements. Here are a couple that have been added since I started networking the forums:

TFH offers a discount on a digital sub.scription to all ACA 2010 registrants. When you register for the convention you will receive information on how to purchase a $13.95 sub.scription for the reduced rate of $9.99.

Options for a youth registration and the ACA junior membership have been added for teens between 14 - 18 who want to attend the convention on their own. Children under 14 are welcome with their parent/guardian without a registration.

I hope to see many Lake Victoria cichlid keepers in Milwaukee this summer. There has been some chatter on trying to establish a Haplochromine Study Group to emphasize the haplochromine species of the Lake Victoria basin and other non-riftlake regions of Africa. A study group sponsors their own speaker and the convention provides the time and place to meet. Most study groups either have a volunteer speaker or raise money to a portion of the speaker's expenses. This is a great way to ensure that your interests are covered at the convention and to meet with other like-minded hobbyists. If you (the admin and members of this forum) are interested in working on a Haplochromine Study Group, let me know and I will get you in touch with other people who are also interested in doing it.

Last edited by tjudy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm 
Associate Admin

Thanks for posting Ted.
Hopefully some of us can make it out there.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:46 pm 
Associate Admin

It would be great if I could go, but times are tight and we are working on this big shipment.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:46 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: American Cichlid Association 2010 Convention
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm 

Do you have an angelfish to enter into the show? ACA 2010 is happy to announce that The Angelfish Society will be holding their first sanctioned show in conjunction with the ACA show this summer. You can enter your angel in both and have a chance at winning more awards. For more information take a look at http://www.aca2010.com/show/the-angelfi ... ioned-show.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 am 

I'm going to make it out there this year. Just point me in the direction of where the Victorians are!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 am 

We have a Lake Victoria topic speaker! Lawrence Kent, who has been traveling to the Lake Victoria area for work over the past two years and spending his free time collecting fish, has agreed to be the speaker for inaugural meeting of a Haplochromine Study Group. Lawrence's accounts of his travels have been appearing in TFH and the ACA's Bundtbarsche Bulletin.

Study groups are loose affiliations of hobbyists that are interested in a specific genre of fish. The meetings happen once a year at the ACA, and usually include a presentation by a guest speaker and then a discussion amongst the group on a topic or topics of interest.

We have a speaker and a time slot (which specific time slot is TBD). We need a sponsor and someone to take responsibility for organizing the meeting. Last year (and this year) my forum, www.apistogramma.com, made the commitment to sponsor and organize the Dwarf Cichlid study Group. If Cichlids of Victoria is interesting in doing something similar, get in touch with me and I will share how we have managed it over at apistogramma.com.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm 

Here are some links to two down-loadable documents that can help promote the convention. The single-page flier can be used as a quick handout at a club event or as an advertisement printed in a club journal. The pamphlet is a trifold pamphlet that includes paper registration forms and information. Feel free to use them at your club events or to distribute them to people who may want them... with our sincere thanks for doing so!

single-page flyer: http://www.aca2010.com/pdf/club_print_ad.pdf

tri-fold pamphlet: http://www.aca2010.com/pdf/pamphlet.pdf

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 pm 

The speaker schedule is now published. See the following link:

http://www.aca2010.com/pdf/SChedule_April_27.pdf

The due dates for show entries and rental tank reservations is fast approaching. If you are planning to show or sell fish the time to register is now.

The hotel is filling up fast, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. We do have an overflow hotel available if you register late and miss out on getting into the show hotel. I will have a confirmation number for the overflow hotel once the need for it kicks in.

For all your registrations, convention purchases and information needs, please go to www.aca2010.com.

Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 pm 
Dedicated Member

Isn't Laurence Kent responsible for the Mwanza gulf collection a few years ago?

Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:26 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

teknikAL";p="5640 wrote:
Isn't Laurence Kent responsible for the Mwanza gulf collection a few years ago?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I thought he was working in Kampala, Uganda and collected cichlids from some of the smaller lakes north of Lake Victoria. I'm sure GAS knows.

Kevin

Sun May 16, 2010 4:26 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 am 
Dedicated Member

I really should have kept records and confirmed them as I read about it then.
I guess I am confused, as there are a few different guys out there collecting live specimens, like Kent & Smith, and then academia that seldom keep live fish.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm 

Two ACA 2010 announcements today:

Registration for show entries and rental tanks has been extended to July 1. For more information about showing fish or renting tanks, see the following links:

Fish Show: http://www.aca2010.com/show

Rental Tanks: http://www.aca2010.com/rental-room-tanks

A Saturday-only vendor table option has been added. If you would like to come to the convention for one day to sell items in the vendor room, go to:

http://www.aca2010.com/vendor

Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 am 

Here is a link to the new writable PDF show entry form. Thank you Rick Borstein for creating this very useful form. Show entries are due July 1, 2010. Entries are purchased with convention registration at www.aca2010.com, and this entry form is mailed separately. You can also send it with your registration if you are mailing it all in with a check. Do not forget that for every five entries you can enter a sixth fish at no extra charge.

http://www.aca2010.com/wp-content/image ... orm_RE.pdf

See you in Milwaukee!!!

Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:42 pm 

It is time to sign up for the Aquarium Beautiful competition. If you are coming to the convention and would like to represent your local aquarium club in a fun contest for a trophy and bragging rights.... Read on!

This contest will team an aquarium club with a commercial fish farmer to set up, decorate and stock a display aquarium using the labor of the team, and aquarium display donated by United Pet Group and the fish from a commercial fish farmer.

Entry Fee: $50 (paid by the aquarium club) & livestock for the display (donated to the convention by the fish farmer)

General Rules:

* Each team will be provided an aquarium set up.
* Convention sponsors will provide a large pile of aquarium substrates, decorations and backgrounds.
* The event starts on Thursday evening, when all of the teams gather at their aquariums and are given the signal to start setting up their display.
* The contest winners will be chosen by attendee voting using raffle tickets. All of the tanks with decorations (not livestock) will be raffled. 'Voters' are casting a vote when they enter a ticket into the raffle for a specific display. There is no limit to the number of tickets a person can use towards a display.

Awards:

* The aquarium with the most votes (raffles tickets) wins. Both the aquarium club and the fish farm will receive a trophy.

How to Enter:

* Any aquarium club that wants to participate needs to send an email to chairman@aca2010.com expressing a desire to enter.
* When we have a sufficient number of entries (clubs and farms to pair together), we will call for the payment of the entry fee.
* The teams will be drawn randomly. The teams will be notified who they are teamed with so a plan of action can be made.

Have Fun with This Contest!!!

* Promote your team! Talk it up! We will announce on this website who the teams are. Talk a little trash!
* Make t-shirts for your team.
* Sit together at the banquet.

If a team from this forum would like to participate, I will talk with Old World and Florida Exotic Fish to see what they can provide in the way of Lake Victorian fish for the display.

Sun May 30, 2010 1:42 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm 

Thanks to the generosity of Perfecto, Tetra and Marineland we are waiving the fee for clubs to enter the Club/Farm Aquarium Beautiful competition. Entries are limited to 10, and we already have two. The next eight clubs to email me are in. Here is what I need:

* the name of your club
* the name and email of the person coming to the convention who will be contact person for the team

Send the email to chairman@aca2010.com Here is a link to the contest de.scription: http://www.aca2010.com/show/clubfarm-te ... ompetition

The Olympia Resort and Spa still has rooms available for Friday and Saturday night... but they are filling up fast! Make your reservations before all the room are sold out and you have to go to the overflow hotel across the street. http://www.aca2010.com/hotel

The tours for Thursday and Friday are filling up as well. When the seats on the bus are all gone no more tickets will be sold.
http://www.aca2010.com/tours

Do not forget that the last day to submit show entries and reserve rental tanks is July 1. That date is RAPIDLY approaching.

Six weeks until the ACA 2010 convention!!!

See you in Milwaukee!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 20 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply