Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:36 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 22 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Just curious about frontosa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 am 

Is it just me or do frontosas have a serious lack of personality? The 8 that I have are the most boring fish I have ever owned :? Mine range from 3"-5" do they get more personality as they get bigger? Right now they act like wallflowers, its truly bugging me. They barely even beg...... :?
I thought it wiser to post this here rather than frontosa.com, I didn't want a pitchfork carrying mob at my door :lol:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm 
Associate Admin

Frontosa are not the most outgoing fish out there.
yeah, they pretty much just chill.

They are nothing like red devils or Oscars who will follow you around begging for food.
Nor are they an active fish that swim all around.
They are also in general not aggressive, they will often get beat up by fish half their size, which somehow emasculates an owner.

In activity, yes they are considered boring.

Those of us who have raised frontosa for many years actually can't explain to others why we love frontosa.

Do they look much different than a Tilapi buttikoferi?
another big striped fish, that is way more active.
Does it look much different than a Lamprologus tretocephalus another black and silver striped fish from Lake Tanganyika?
does it look that much different from a barred midas or a convict for that matter?
all fish that look somewhat frontosa like, but have much "better" personalities.

You can find frontosa that are a little more active like Mpimbwe, but still, they do just chill.
That they chill is part of the reason perhaps that we like them.
You can keep a tank full of them, and they won't kill each other.

Its like owning a trailer queen.
a car that you look at but don't drive.
most of us don't get it, cars are made to drive.
But for many people, they appreciate the ART of the car, the way it looks.
they can spend hours just washing it and LOOKING at it.
They don't have to DRIVE it to appreciate it.

I love the look of Harley's, but have no desire to ride them.
Some people collect guns, but hate shooting, imagine that.

Each of us appreciates things in different ways, some ways we may not be able to explain.
It's perhaps the regal nature of frontosa that we love, they just seem majestic and sophisticated.

Oh yeah, since you asked, frontosa are most active as fry and juvies, at that age they may follow you around a bit begging for food.
As adults, they will hide and chill even more.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm 
Associate Admin

They are the most relaxing fish to watch for me. When I'm having a bad day, I just go into my frontosa room and relax.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Just curious about frontosa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 pm 

Well my favorite fish are cory cats, I love their hyper antics.... I may just not be a front person. If they don't grow on me by mid summer they may get shipped to my friend in Ohio... I can't properly care for a fish that's not captivating to me.... They are Mpimbwe....
I guess I need a nice balance of looks and personality But personality is higher on the list ( :lol: I sound like I'm talking about men :lol: ) My corys are like 5 yo kids that just ate a pound of sugar, My ruby green is defensive yet shy, my mooriis are constantly sifting sand and shoaling about, my brichardi dig their little pits and flit about through the plants, my loaches drape themselves on plants...ect.... all the fish I have have their own little quirks that are so endearing to me.. but my fronts haven't shown me anything.....

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm 
Veteran Member

Fronts definitely tank some time to enjoy a bit more. They also take time to enjoy you more. The longer I have had mine, the more i notice them take an interest in me. They are not quirky and playful, but they do a sort of slow motion graceful behavior at times as a group. Most the time they just float around doing little, but those rare glimpses of something more are wondeful for me personally.

And if that doesn't float your boat fern, :lol: I think it was lee that told me he pokes a hole in a ping pong ball and sinks it, and his fronts play soccer. I have yet to try this, but it's on my list ;)

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm 
Associate Admin

get a laser pointer and point it all around the bottom of the tank, they will chase it.
just don't point it in the eyes, or let the children see you, because then IT will become a TOY.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 pm 
Veteran Member

Adding it to my list :D

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Administrator

Bravo Tr6! Maybe its time for you to rewrite the intro to frontosa.com

I see my fronts as Highly intellectual creatures, maybe they help me think. Maybe, who knows but Tr6 said it best.

How are the Brichardi getting along Fern? Any breeding yet ;) Are you referring to Neolamprologus brichardi?

Those guys will torment others to death within 3 feet of the nesting ground. Hope for them to choose a corner and not the middle of the tank. I had to overcrowd my community display tank to keep the Brichardi pinned down so too speak. The more crowded the tank the less aggression on an individual fish and the smaller their territory will become. I had several spawns in a 100g tank but if there were any less fish in there I would have had losses due to brichardi "Protecting" their young.

In my 100g display tank I have on average 40-50 african cichlids at any given time. Keeps the aggression down to a minimum but requires more maintenance.

www.frontosa.com

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:55 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 am 

Big Jim";p="4645 wrote:
They are the most relaxing fish to watch for me. When I'm having a bad day, I just go into my frontosa room and relax.

Smoke a few bowls... turn off all but the tank lights... kick back on the well worn lazy boy in front of the Frontosa tank... turn up your 'Godspeed You Black Emperor!' CD..... and THEN, you'll get it! :twisted:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 am 

I will have to try the ping pong ball and the lazer pointer ideas... I will also have to get a ping pong ball for Fred (flowerhorn) He acts starved for attention when I get home.

Yes they are the neo's, they are still small yet, along 2-2.5" TL. Its 15 of them and 2 Synodontis Petricola in a 75g, the syno cats may get moved soon though so the brichardi can have the tank to themselves. Do yall think I should get more of them in there? I may get a few more of the albinos, I have one in there now. I got them because they tend to be nice to plants and my 75g is heavily planted, I have boiled dirt under my sand and there was no way I was going to change that out when I changed inhabitants.

Either the fronts will grow on me or they wont. They have a new home lined up if they don't.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm 
Administrator

Fern";p="4654 wrote:

Yes they are the neo's, they are still small yet, along 2-2.5" TL. Its 15 of them and 2 Synodontis Petricola in a 75g, the syno cats may get moved soon though so the brichardi can have the tank to themselves. Do yall think I should get more of them in there? I may get a few more of the albinos, I have one in there now. I got them because they tend to be nice to plants and my 75g is heavily planted, I have boiled dirt under my sand and there was no way I was going to change that out when I changed inhabitants.

Either the fronts will grow on me or they wont. They have a new home lined up if they don't.

In a 75g I would add more brichardi. The more the better with that species. To few and you will suffer losses. Brichardi enjoy the large community and since your tank is so large you can have a nice sized community.

www.frontosa.com

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm 

What would be a good number? This is my fist time having them, I bow to experience :lol:

I think I may have spoken a little soon... I got some hikari massivore pellets for my flowerhorn and plecos so I figured I would see if everyone else liked them. So I broke some up small for the frontosas and holy cow! they went nuts over them! They were dashing after each and every bit I dropped in there :lol: I don't think I have ever seen them move that fast!
Would that be a good thing to feed them a few times a week?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 am 
Veteran Member

The ingredients in it are very similar to a pellet I use, I can't see a reason not to let them have at it. I like to treat my Mpimbwe fry to frozen Mysis krill every other week. Not too much at a time, because they will stuff their faces and not be able to eat anymore for awhile. They love that stuff :)

Fronts are definitely more shy than most fish, but are not without their personality.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 am 
Administrator

Fern, While they are going through Puberty(Teenage) years. They will be at their most aggressive period IMO. In a 75g I would have 20-25 of them. Once they get past the teenage time and start to get larger you can thin the group down if you want or leave it the same.

I may have different experiences with them then others have. Until that fish has matured its tough to keep a community of them. Over time they will decide who belongs in their group and they will torment the rest out. They are a very family oriented fish they will protect their offspring.

I have a story to tell about brichardi, I had kept brichardi and tetracanthus in the same tank many years ago. I was not breeding at the time. We were so excited to see the little fry grow and it was neat to watch the tetracanthus get stomped when ever they got near the nest.

Turns out, the brichardi had STOLEN the nest from the tetracanthus and were raising little baby tetracanthus. As the fry grew larger it was quite apparent that they were stolen children and were in NO way related to the brichardi....

That was only a PAIR of brichard and a PAIR of tetracanthus there were mabybe 10-12 other fish in the 75g and the tetracanthus did not make it. Their tried to get their children back until it killed them. Which is odd in itself since Neolamp tetracanthus are very very mean.

www.frontosa.com

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:50 am 

Ok, I will get 10 more on their way soon. The guy I get them from has one female that will take and care for all of the eggs from the whole group. Buts stealing and raising some other kind of fish eggs? Now that's impressive! How well did the tetracanthus fry fair being raised by the brichadri? Did the adult brichari accept them as one of their own after they grew some or did they get turned on? I'm thinking of trying to spawn the syno cats in the 75g sense they are cookoo spawner's and I was thinking the brichardi might make good surrogate parents. Is this a plausable idea? Should I wait till after the 'teenage years' to re introduce the synos or just leave them in there through that time?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:50 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 22 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply