Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:44 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: New to Cichlids. Any and All suggestions for new 75 gal tank
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 pm 

Hello all. :P

New to African Cichlids but have been an aquarium hobbiest since 2001 with saltwater and reef tanks.

I have a nice 75 gallon All Glass Aquarium set up including a Fluval canister filter, Coral Life compact lighting system and roomy stand that I'd like to set up for Lake Malawi Cichlids.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

I have been very successful with my reef tanks, but understand that Cichlids may be a different challenge.

Thanks in advance for all your help with my new endeavor...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: New to Cichlids. Any and All suggestions for new 75 gal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 pm 

There are a multitude of cichlids to choose from. I assuming that your interested in vics posting here. You have a couple types to choose from, the rock pickers that are more like mbuna and have similar personalities to boot. You have the open water types that are pretty peaceful and need more space to swim around.

I am very happy with two species of lipochromis, melanopterus and matumbi hunter. They are very colorful fish and very active. they are pretty peaceful fish as well. the melanopterus have a bit more color variety with the males and females having OB patterns. But the hunters are very elegant looking fish.

If you like a rock tank then you can pick and variety of pundamilia and have a very active tank. So there is a lot to choose from. best advice is to pick ONE species you LOVE and build the tank around them, tank mates, decor ect.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

Thank you 4 the response, I will keep an eye out 4 the 2 species u mentioned being the lipochromis, and melanopterus. I especially appreciate the fact that they are pretty peaceful. My wife freaks out when I add a fish 2 my reef tanks and they have to fight 4 their place in the feeding pecking order.

:idea: Any ideas as to the best place to acquire healthy fish in these species. How many should I add? I plan on a coral sand, plays and mix substrate with natural river type rock for hiding places. Was not planning on any plants unless u know of some that r safe.

8)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 am 

I would stick with a smooth sand, they are not sand sifters but they can dig. You want a nice smooth sand to help protect their mouths from cuts that can become infected. Coral sand may be to ruff, I have used aragonite sand before and it works well. If that is what you are using then it should be fine.

I mention those two species because i am keeping and breeding them at the moment. The lipochromis matumbi hunters are around and i think Daves rare fish may have some available. I have some growing out, they are around 1/4" right now. The lipochromis melanopterus are a little harder to find. I have some about the same size growing up.

The tank setup sounds nice. You can do plants like anubias or java fern.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply