Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Lake Malawi fishies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm 

Finally got a photobucket account and figured out how to post pics online. Lake Malawi cichlids are what I started with a couple years ago, before that I had not kept fish since I was 10. These are some of my all time favorite fish, and some newer ones.

A. stuartgranti Lundu, I have a wild trio of these from Dave's. They have a more curved facial profile than most stuartgranti types that I have seen, a little less robust built as well. Hoping they will spawn soon.

Cynotilapia zebroides Chimate. A cynotilapia I picked up at a club auction, and very prolific. Of 5 juvies, I wound up with 2 pairs which spawn non-stop in a community mbuna/vic tank. These are a dwarf mbuna, and the females I have are only about 2.5", and seem to have amazingly large spawns for such large fish.

Aristochromis Chrysti-This guy was in a display tank at a LFS I worked at for a couple years before they tore it down and I bought him on the spot. Before that, he was owned by one of the store customers, outgrew the guy's tank so he donated him to the store. My guess is that this guy is at least 6 years old, he's about 10 or 11". This is one of my all time favorite fish, and I have babies from his first spawn I've managed to keep growing out. He lives with a harem in my 125.

Cynotilapia Hara Gallireya Reef-I just got 7 F1 young ones from Big Jim, and love these. These are pics of one of the dominant males and what I hope is a little girl. They're hitting 2.5".

Cynotilapia aurifrons Mphanga Rocks-these guys came from Dave's also, I have 1 male and 3 females. They use to spawn nonstop, but since moving them to Fort Worth from Dallas that has stopped. The only thing I can think of is that they are not a fan of the tap water over here since they were raised up in Dallas water. I will probably need to do some fish shuffling for them to be happy enough to get going again, but one of the Cynos I have enjoyed the most. They are not a dwarf, but are smaller in size than most it seems, and their attitude is not as aggressive as most of the others I have kept.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Lake Malawi fishies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:47 am 
Associate Admin

Great looking fish.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:47 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 am 

Very nice. I had some peacocks that are very close to the ones you posted. I forgot the name....

anyway great pics of some really cool fish.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am 

A couple more different fish:
Cynotilapia zebroides Lupingu-I got these from a friend in Wisconsin, and wound up with just one male, and had many casualties in the community tank before I figured out who the culprit was. Since then he's had the name "Homicidal Maniac", but over the years he's calmed down, lives in my 150 mbuna/vic tank pretty peacefully. He's quite large for the species, 5" easy now.

Metriaclima Red Top Gallireya Reef-got some of these form the same Wisconsin friend, and they were VERY prolific. In two years, I think I've spread about 15 batches through DFW at TCA auctions, fish trades, and just plain giving them away. I use to keep two pairs, but sold the two females and the subdom male to a fellow hobbyist who was looking for a new breeding trio, and kept the old dominant male pictured here. He's also quite big, about 5-5.5". Most people at first glance think he's a zebra because of his size.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm 

Nice fishes! I really like the Red Top Gallireya!

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm 

Got to love Big Jims Hara. I bought some from him a while.back and love how active they are.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 6 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply