Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 2      [ 19 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Re: Going into Discus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 am 
Veteran Member

I am not saying whether it is true or not, but the logic th Discus guys follow is that to develop proper head and body shape you need to feed them like crazy on beef heart or other messy high protein diets, and obviously that makes frequent water changes necessary. I think the RO is a combination of the clean factor, and that it automatically makes for very soft water. I will note that the guys on the forum I have been following do have some very nice looking discus, with very good body shapes.

However :P I suspect to some extent their daily water change suggestions are to keep noobs from making big mistakes. For example, I do weekly water changes, and recommend it, but if I miss a week my fish aren't going to keel over ( under normal circumstances) However, if you tell new fish keepers to do weekly water changes, many out of sheer laziness will decide bi weekly is fine, and a few will shrug and think because they only changed their water once a month with their guppies, that this is fine also.. Results, the bi weekly people will truck along, and if they have great filtration things will be ok, but som will have unexplained sickness issues, and some deaths, the monthly people will soon have serious problems and likely many deaths. So with the discus, maybe, just maybe those guys are trying to reduce the risk of a noob using a crappy filter and doing water changes every few days and losing all his high priced discus.

@Twisted sister, money is not the issue for me as it is for a school I teach at and they are paying for the fish, the tank and all. Got half of the tank together, but still waiting on them to order the important stuff like filters. After that the fish are not a problem since there is a local shop with extremely nice discus, if you missed it I posted pics recently.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 am 

With bad tap water I can understand a why you called it ro. basically you just needed to filter it some more. a good carbon filter would do the trick, it would not remove metals but would knock out the ammo and chlorine if you have any.

i always laugh about beefheart being feed to discus. i just think about all the ravenous schools of discus ripping apart cows as they crows the rivers of the amazon.

i know it was used back in the 50s-60s when fish food was nothing but wheat and fish oil. now fish food is pretty dam amazing. the science has caught up a lot. i understand using something else to help condition fish but beefheart is just to messy for me. that is another reason why the discus groups love high end filtration. if you were feeding super greasy food all day long you would need high end filtration to keep your water clean, it makes sense. but live food would work better, at least i think, than beef heart and would create less waste.

but what works for me works for me, what works for you works for you. do what you think is best.

Looking for hard to find supplies, check us out on the web.
www.ftffacoop.com

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:54 am 

The messiest things I feed these guys is PE mysis and maybe some frozen bloodworms now and then. They have a double filtered tank, ALL of my tanks do now. So far, so good. Like Me pointed out, I just need to keep up with the water changes while I'm growing these guys out or else they tend to stunt.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:54 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:50 pm 
Veteran Member

LOL Dre, didn't you know the locals sacrifice several cows a year to keep the discus from devouring them and their loved ones?

I wonder if anyone has tried a predominantly Spirulina diet to grow them out. I have grown Frontosa fry very quickly on pure spirulina till they hit about an inch and a half, and then I switch to spirulina and shrimp mixed with gelatin and a bit of garlic. Spirulina is great for skeletal growth development, and is the highest per weight protein content on earth so I would think it would work plenty well. I have a kilo of top grade spirulina in the freezer here, so I reckon I can try it out if I get a good breeding pair. The forum I have been researching on has stopped answering my polite questions for no apparent reason, so I would love to stick some ridiculously good looking Discus fry pictures on their site and tell them how I grew them out on nothing but green :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:50 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 2      [ 19 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply