Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:59 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: New to Victorian some questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm 

Greetings I have a 125gallon tank with an Fx5 that i am finally(financially) ready to start. I chose Victorian Cichlids when i was at my local Zoo/Aquarium here in Toledo, OH, they had a Victorian Cichlid tank with some information on them and i immediately fell for them haha. I have done hours and hours of research and have tons of websites bookmarked, however I do have some noob questions:

1. With the Fx5 what should the flow rate be? (it can up to 925gph)
2. What is the best substrate for them? What do you guys use? I've heard differing things about crushed coral, I'd rather not cut the insides of their mouths.
3. Not sure if i want to attempt breeding them yet, want to get the basics down first so i can do it right and treat them right. so maybe I could start with males only? How many males would you recommend in a 125g? I know Malawi tanks are somewhat supposed to be a little crowded to cut down on aggression
4. With males only can i have several different species?
5. I know some prefer rocks/crevices and others prefer open water/substrate and I would like to have variations of both, what species do you recommend?
6. Does anyone have pics themselves or links to what Lake Victoria itself looks like underwater so that i can mimic it(haven't had a lot of luck here)?
7. How often would you recommend water changes and how much?
8. What type of media should i use in the FX5? I don't plan on having any live plants or maybe just minimal.
9. What lighting would you recommend: wattage, lumens, duration of day cycle, etc.
10. What other(if any) tank mates are viable with Victorians? Which bottom feeders should I chose?
11. What is the best type of rock to use? Rounded river rock, slate rock, etc.(Also how heavy is too heavy, don't want my seals breaking)

Thanks everyone for your help so I can help the fish:)

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: New to Victorian some questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 am 
Website Creation Team Site Moderator

Fishoutofwater wrote:
Greetings I have a 125gallon tank with an Fx5 that i am finally(financially) ready to start. I chose Victorian Cichlids when i was at my local Zoo/Aquarium here in Toledo, OH, they had a Victorian Cichlid tank with some information on them and i immediately fell for them haha. I have done hours and hours of research and have tons of websites bookmarked, however I do have some noob questions:

Thanks everyone for your help so I can help the fish:)

1. With the Fx5 what should the flow rate be? (it can up to 925gph)
=> I would imagine it's like most filters in that the flow rate slows down a bit over time.

2. What is the best substrate for them? What do you guys use? I've heard differing things about crushed coral, I'd rather not cut the insides of their mouths.
=> My opinion is that sand is the best. I had crushed coral years ago and hated it so I changed to sand.

3. Not sure if i want to attempt breeding them yet, want to get the basics down first so i can do it right and treat them right. so maybe I could start with males only? How many males would you recommend in a 125g? I know Malawi tanks are somewhat supposed to be a little crowded to cut down on aggression
=> In male only tanks only the Victorians that are aggressive enough to hold a bit of territory show good color. Many Vics are similar to mbuna in a lot of ways.

4. With males only can i have several different species?
=> Yes. If you stocked the tank with 50 males of the same species, you might only get a few that showed good color. Many vics attack their own species more aggressively than they attack other species. Multiple compatable-ish species is better for an all male tank.

5. I know some prefer rocks/crevices and others prefer open water/substrate and I would like to have variations of both, what species do you recommend?
=> I would recommend the species that you can find. You might or might not want to avoid the more aggressive species like Hap #44, nyererei, etc and try more passive species such as ruby greens or Hippo Point salmons etc.

6. Does anyone have pics themselves or links to what Lake Victoria itself looks like underwater so that i can mimic it(haven't had a lot of luck here)?
=> Lake Victoria is a big lake. Some areas have plants others have mostly rocks and some areas are so murky you can't see much underwater anyway.

7. How often would you recommend water changes and how much?
=> That depends upon your stocking levels. Most folks recommend 25% per week.

8. What type of media should i use in the FX5? I don't plan on having any live plants or maybe just minimal.
=> I like having anubia or java fern in my tanks

9. What lighting would you recommend: wattage, lumens, duration of day cycle, etc.
=> I use regular old single tube strip lights but I'm likely in the minority there. My lights are all on a timer and are on for 6 or 7 hours.

10. What other(if any) tank mates are viable with Victorians? Which bottom feeders should I chose?
=> Mbuna with a similar temperament are good tank mates. I'm not a fan of bottom feeders so I have none.

11. What is the best type of rock to use? Rounded river rock, slate rock, etc.(Also how heavy is too heavy, don't want my seals breaking)
=> Most any inert rock that doesn't have any sharp corners. I don't like rounded rocks because they are hard to stack. I use limestone I got from a landscape store to create lots of caves. Tanks can hold a lot of rock weight (the bouyant weight is a lot less than they weigh outside the water.

=> I'm in Columbus and always have excess males. Maybe we can hook up at the Ohio Cichlid Extravaganza in November.
Kevin

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am 

The only thing I will add is that I am a fan of bottom dwellers and keep Synodontus petricola (love 'em) and Ancistrus sp. "Pucallpa", (bushynose pleco) which helps keep algae growth down (but you still have to clean the glass, and they do poop alot).

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 am 

o yesterday a very nice guy gave me his tank, canopy, stand, filter, supplies and everything for his 55 gallon. I just had to clean it out and pack it

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply