Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 8 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Green Light !
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am 
Veteran Member

As some of you may remember I was struggling with what will become of my fish at the end of the summer as I am likely going to Japan in the fall. I had convinced my father to look after about 500 gallons of my 700+ gallons, but I was not thrilled at the idea of giving up any of the fish that I have worked so hard this last year to aquire. Problem solved !!! I knew my dad had a shop, and I knew there were shelves, but I couldn't remember how big or how many. After an actually mellow talk with him which is very rare for me and my father :lol: , He has no problems with me using this area, and what's more measured the shelves. Would I design them different.. yes... but they are very well built, and each one has ample space for various aquariums, and though they are broken up with 2x4's I can actually slide in some 55's.. but essentially what I know have the green light to fill is 8 shelves measuring 44" x16 deep x17-30" high and 8 shelves measuring 30"x16 x 17-30" high. The 30" high ones are on the bottom so those will be 55's though I think I may be able to squeeze a 125 on one side if I chose. All the shelves are 1 inch plywood, and have 2x4 supports front and back running all the way to the ceiling. There are even more shelves tucked in another corner, and space to stack a couple 6 foot tanks as well. I really didn't think this was going to happen, so exuse the rant, but I am seriously thrilled !!! I will be going up there in a week or two, and start planning my attack. I plan to work on it this summer and have something special ! My father is very fit, but can't work anymore I think this will be a great new adventure for him, and with my older brother who has plenty cichlid experience and a younger sister that wants to learn living there, this is just so cool. I accept all the risk of leaving my fish with others, but will be doing allot to manage it ;)

Just had to share my Joy :D

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:23 pm 
Associate Admin

I'm glad to hear this. It sounds like you have worked it all out. You need to make sure they take really good care of your new rare vic's.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:23 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Green Light !
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 am 
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim, and believe me I know !! As much as I hate cell phones I will be getting one for fish emergencies so that they can contact me anytime. I'm even toying with the notion of a webcam that I can watch the action with from afar :lol: Laminated instructions will be up everywhere for them, from feeding to water changes to illness to holding females. I will have a first aid box with medicines and again clear instructions of when to use, when not to use, and how to use. I plan to stay there for my last month or two before leaving too to make sure everything is on track, and teach them everything I can. I feel confident this is going to go well. I have potential for doing a drip system too. I will be up there soon, and will take some pics of the space though it's gonna be jam packed with stuff I'm sure. It is very close to perfect. Concrete floor, in access out access, and my father has access to very good insulation through his work connections . Function will be the primary goal, but I will do what I can to make it pretty too since I think that will help keep it fun for them.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 am 
Associate Admin

How long are you going to be gone?

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 am 
Veteran Member

Unoficially up to three years, but that will not be continuous and nothing we ever do is set in stone.. it keeps us young :P

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm 

Glad to hear you got your fishy housing worked out!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm 

Oh, also have them join the site so we can help them out if need be!!!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 pm 
Veteran Member

Definitely on the agenda Fern ;) They already know this will be part of it. I will definitely still be an active member as well. I would say at crazy hours, but I already keep cray hours since I chat to the misses so often, and well I am an insomniac also :?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 8 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply