Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:37 pm
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Lithochromis xanthopteryx aquascaping emergency
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 am 
Veteran Member

I just finished moving all of my fish and in the course of 2 days have lost 3 Lithochromis xanthopteryx to unknown causes. All of my other fish are fine with the new water including my Compressiceps. I am not ruling out aggression, but I have seen none. Because these came from Germany so small they were in a ten gallon tank until the move. Now they are in a bare 55 gallon with sponge filtration.

I really don't want to lose this group, so any help with how to keep them alive would be greatly appreciated. I know marco or axel said something in the past... I think that overcrowding with no territories is best. Does that sound right?

I have 10 remaining so all is not lost, but I want to have all the information possible to keep this group rolling.

Thanks in advance, me

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:52 am 

Was that 55 gallon cycled up and running for a while. Maybe the Nitrites have spiked, did you test the water. What kindf of sponge filtration?? Maybe add an additional sponge or other filtration until the tank stabilizes. I just completed my move and thank God that I didn't lose any of my Lithochromis Xanthopteryx. I let the tank cycle back up before I moved them into the tank.

As for the agression, I do have rocks in there so they do have their own teritory. I experience the normal flaring and pushing matches, but no where to the point to where they are damaging themselves.

Can you post some pics of them.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:52 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Lithochromis xanthopteryx aquascaping emergency
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am 
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, the tanks went up with fresh water, a double dose of prime, baking soda, empsom salt and a cycled filter which was moved in tank water. It's hard for me to beleive their was a spike simply because they are all under 2 inches and volume of fresh water, and none of the other fish I have have had any problems. Knock on wood.

I will get some photos asap, but it will probably be a couple days. Could you show me some pics of your tank?

Thanks again, Me

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm 

Maybe they are still adjusting to the water here compared to the water in Europe.
Do they look stressed, are they breathing hard. Maybe the four recents moves from Europe, to the US, to you, and then to the new place was to much stress on them. I would think that it is something in the water as you lost three in such a short time. Is the water in the tank clear or cloudy?? Maybe you overloaded the bacteria in the sponge by starting such a new large tank. I hope things settle down and you don't lose anymore. Finding these guys around here is not very easy and you don't see them very often.

Here are a couple of pics of mine. They are juvies just starting to darken up and still waiting for them to start spawning.

Dom male

Dom and sub-dom males pushing match

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Lithochromis xanthopteryx aquascaping emergency
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 pm 
Veteran Member

beautiful male, I think you may be right about the water. I may have actually buffered there tank less than the others because they are so rare and I didn't want to raise the ph too much, but contrary to the town water report I am learning it is fairly soft here. No more losses and they all look healthy. Never saw any breathing issues.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply