Cichlids of Victoria

CichlidsofVictoria.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Victorian species
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:36 am
  Arrange Blocks Arrange Blocks

Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 144 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

Registered users: Majestic-12 [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: My 1st Victorian tank?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 am 

Hello all, I got another new tank - 5,3 ft 127 gal and I seriously think to make it Victorian. I am experienced with Tang. fish - Tropheus, cyps, julies etc and my beloved cyphs. I want this tank different as I had before and keep some new fish. First I wanted Malawi haps but this tank is not very big for them..Then I saw some pics of Victorians species and decided to get some info about these beauties. First thing I need to know is how to create a group of vics, how many species is recommended, how many fish in total, what is the sex ratio etc. Mbuna, Haps, Tropheus etc, are clear to me, but about Vics, about the groups of vics species, aggression, social behavior, habits, etc I know nothing..and its hard to get expert info for me until now. I kept a pair of haplochromis burtoni (not valid name probably) when I was 10 (30 years ago) with SA cichlids and different other fish (sorry I was a child) and I remember only that the male was uncommon colored and of course very nice. So please, if its possible, give me info about Vics basics of keeping to help me to understand and make decision of my new biotope tank. Thank you very much in advance.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: My 1st Victorian tank?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 am 
Associate Admin

I know of people who have made collection point tanks, like Makobe Island from Lake Victoria. The only real problem with having a mixed species tank is hybridization. You would have to be very careful with what species you mix.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 am 

Ok, so in a tank of that size is possible to keep more species, how many? Which species which are easy to get you suggest? How many pcs of each, ratio? Though I dont mind to keep one Vics species only (I am a fronts lover) but I would mind to keep one alpha male colored and the other fish grey..that is what I would like to avoid in a tank of that size and purpose. The tank will be placed in my office..

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:14 pm 
Associate Admin

What do you have to choose from?

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!"
Thomas Jefferson.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:14 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm 

There is no local breeder around with a list of species..only what I can get is a list of all Vic species to get more info. But if I want to buy a group of young fish, its difficult here. I would like to get a mix recommandation with some breeders/importers contacts - CZ, Germany, Austria..if its possible to get some offer list. Then I will be able to choose from it and discuss about the chosen species. I dont have really an idea at this time and only what I can do is to point a picture and say - I like this. And its not enough.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am 

Hi bobo242,

where are you located, im guessing Europe ?

ignore that hehe :oops:
contact Marco Welss , he may be able to help you out.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 am 

Paul B wrote:
Hi bobo242,

where are you located, im guessing Europe ?

ignore that hehe :oops:
contact Marco Welss , he may be able to help you out.

Hey Paul, yes its Slovakia EU. Does have Marco Welss any website or something? Or anybody else? I suppose he is from Germany, it could work..thanks

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 am 
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Bobo, good to see you here. As a general rule of thumb, you want to keep species that look as different as possible, not only color but body shape. An example just to pick a couple fish I keep would be Lipochromis Matumbi hunters, and Neochromis Rufocaudilis Saa nane. These fish not only look and behave very different, but the Matumbi hunters occupy the mid water usually, where the Rufocaudilis tend stay low to the substrate. The Matumbi even seem to spawn, or at least dance mid water too, so their would be very little risk in a situation like this. There are other Mid water species, and substrate huggers, I am not saying those are the two you want, but it is an example of what kinda of situation you may want to create. The risk with Victorians is HUGE for hybridization, so you really really need to think this out well and talk to some of the German keepers in my opinion. You can try PM'ing Marco, Axel or Thomas on this site. There is a german site, I don't have the link readily available. Been switching my operating system around lately, so lack bookmarks.

Victorians are very rewarding, but definitely require some thought.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 pm 

Hello me, thanks for your post and warm welcome. I will try to contact somebody to get more info and species mix suggestions. If i understood well so far, vics are best kept only by one species per a tank, which is usually smaller then will be mine..Is there any species which is possible to keep in a 127 gal tank in a bigger group (for example like fronts) where all fish are more/less colored? If yes, what would be the ratio and total amount?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 9 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply